VMI euphoniums ..are they a good buy?

The bulk of the musical talk
oldbandnerd
5 valves
5 valves

VMI euphoniums ..are they a good buy?

Post by oldbandnerd »

Does VMI make a good quality horn ( 4 valve intermediate ) for the money ? Please spare me all the rehtoric about how Yamaha, Besson , Bach .etc. make the best horns . I already know of their quality. I am on a budget . While I could afford one of the better horns ,can I do just as well with a VMI or maybe even a Weril ? They are much cheaper . I am only a fair musician and am playing in a community concert band and a low brass quintet . Can anybody give me some good advice here ?
elimia
3 valves
3 valves

Post by elimia »

Search on Weril euph threads on the board. I was on a tight budget too and bought the Weril, which I enjoy very much. Before I bought my current horn I bought and sent back a VMI horn (Allora). Junk. Don't do it. Call Baltimore Brass and talk to them about the Weril. It's cheaper than the VMI horn too.
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Alex F »

I've been playing a VMI 3171 euph for the last ten months. I bought it from WWBW after a long discussion with Roger Lewis and my teacher. This is a very well made euph which sells for a reasonable price. My teachers has played it several times and said that it sounds better than several compensating euphs that he has played - he plays a YEP-321. He recommends it to his other students, along with the Weril.

Happy New Year all.
elimia
3 valves
3 valves

Post by elimia »

The Allora I played (made by VMI) was junk. Tuning problems galore. I can't speak beyond that particular model.