What would you do?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Bandmaster
4 valves
4 valves

What would you do?

Post by Bandmaster »

I won an auction on Ebay yesterday for a 1931 Conn silver sousaphone that had been stored as part of an estate for many years. It is still in the original shipping case and both are apparently in outstanding condition. You can see photos on the EBay website here. After I won, the person I outbid contacted me with the following request:
"I am trying to buy this on behalf of an artist, a wonderful artist, who needs this specific instrument to complete a work about lost sounds. Please let me know if there is anything at all we can do... "

She went on to say in another email:
"The artist would not be altering this in any way and the playing of the sousaphone would in fact be an integral part of the work. The artist, Paul Etienne Lincoln, makes work that is about preserving memories of another moment. He has in the past made pieces that are tributes to Rosa Ponselle, the opera diva and, most recently, a work which incorporated an early form of player piano which he carefully restored and made the centerpiece of an installation."
"For this project, he needs one that is American made from the 20s or 30s in as close to its original state as possible. Because this project is about sounds from this particular period, he would like to have an instrument that can make as close to its original sound as possible."
I have been looking for a really nice old horn for a long time, and you don't find them in this condition very often and manage to win the auction. What do you all think I should do? I don't want to be rude and blow her off. I have offered to help her find another suitable horn but she seems dead set in this one. She has offered me $100 more than I paid for it so far.
Last edited by Bandmaster on Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Schaafsma
1966 Holton 345 | 1955 York-Master | 1939 York 716 | 1940 York 702 | 1968 Besson 226 | 1962 Miraphone 186 | 1967 Olds | 1923 Keefer EEb | 1895 Conn Eb | 1927 Conn 38K | 1919 Martin Helicon
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

What an odd story. Those horns are certainly not unique.

What would I do? Ask an exorbitant amount of money. :wink:
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

Looking at the fellow's website, the bottom right-hand picture says it all. Behind the work of "art", there is an inscription: "OMNIA MUTANTUR, NIHIL INTERIT" -- "Everything changes, nothing perishes".

I don't know if I'll connect this up where you can understand my meaning, but let me try: the hunk of brass is not "the sound". The hunk of brass in my hands would sound VERY different than the same hunk of brass in the hands of Bill Bell. But a new hunk of brass would sound pretty similar to the old hunk of brass, in any one player's hands. And an old hunk of brass that's been used and repaired will STILL pretty much sound the same. It's almost like someone who was desparate to buy some old paints, because old paintings are so valuable. It is the old paintings, not the old paint, that are meaningful.

What would I do? I would probably offer them one of three things: that they bring (at their expense) you, your horn, and a guest to the place of recording, where you will permit the horn to be used in your presence for a few days; OR they can find you a suitable replacement in refurbished-to-like-new condition, and throw in some significant $$$ to make up for the additional value of the instrument you're giving up; OR they can take a hike.
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

I agree.

Keep the horn.

Tell 'em: "Better luck next time!"

Seriously. If these folks are truly networked, they should be able to find something suitable in the surrounding area for a reasonable price. If they only need it temporarily, I'd be suspect that they may use it and then re-eBay it for an inflated price.

Additionally, I question the validity of the idea of authentic sounds generated from an original instrument. Who knows if this nonsense isn't made up?

Keep your horn and enjoy it. The sun will rise again tomorrow.
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

You can be polite about it, but keep it. It's their problem if they didn't bid high enough for it. You are unlikely to find another Conn 38K (or is this a 32K?) in this condition for this price. Enjoy it.
Bandmaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Bandmaster »

I want to thank you all for the input. I was not planning on giving up the horn, but I have always tried to be supportive of the arts. I guess I was just trying to find a way to fell better about saying no. I definately feel better now.... thanks.
Dave Schaafsma
1966 Holton 345 | 1955 York-Master | 1939 York 716 | 1940 York 702 | 1968 Besson 226 | 1962 Miraphone 186 | 1967 Olds | 1923 Keefer EEb | 1895 Conn Eb | 1927 Conn 38K | 1919 Martin Helicon
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Tell Them You Need It For...

Post by Gongadin »

Your own 21st-Century Interpretive Dance Piece, and only this sousaphone will do, because the opening of the bell is the only one that will fit over your ankle properly for some of the more delicate movements.
Tell them the original case is the only one that you can pop out of at the beginning of the piece, and that the particular length and action of the pistons on this particular horn was what inspired the dance piece in the first place, as the piston action is parallel to the action of the dancer's legs.
Tell them that the particular wrap on this sousaphone's branches is the exact diameter of your dance costume and is the only sousaphone wrap diameter that will not ruffle your tutu "tu" much!