TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Whattzit??

Post by Dan Schultz »

I ran across an 'interesting' old horn today. The bell engraving says:

"Genuine Aug. Heinem"
"Y.W. Jenkins Sons Music Co."
"Kansas, City, MO"

The bell is 17 1/2" diameter and the horn is 34" tall. The pistons measure .919 and the bore is about .640. Pictures are posted at:

http://members.evansville.net/dschultz/projects.htm

Of special interest is the keel and engraved bottom bow guard, the engraved ferules, the plain finger buttons, and the projections on the bottom of the bottom valve caps. I haven't actually put the tuner on it yet but I'm almost certain it's a BBb.

The piston diameter points to Blessing, but I suspect this thing might be of East German origin.

Any ideas??
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Did a little searching. Jenkins Music in Kansas City was still around in 1965. Couldn't find any listings after that.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Daniel C. Oberloh
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Daniel C. Oberloh »

Its pre WWII, probably 20s. If there is a small anchor on the second valve casing it was made by Bohland and Fuchs. Is it stamped Bohemia on the mpc. receiver? If so, most probably B&F. Just a hunch.

Daniel C. Oberloh

Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works
www.oberloh.com
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Daniel C. Oberloh wrote:Its pre WWII, probably 20s. If there is a small anchor on the second valve casing it was made by Bohland and Fuchs. Is it stamped Bohemia on the mpc. receiver? If so, most probably B&F. Just a hunch. Daniel C. Oberloh - Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works - www.oberloh.com
No anchor - no markings on the receiver. However, I think you are in the right part of the World at about the right time.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

TubaTinker wrote:
Daniel C. Oberloh wrote:Its pre WWII, probably 20s. If there is a small anchor on the second valve casing it was made by Bohland and Fuchs. Is it stamped Bohemia on the mpc. receiver? If so, most probably B&F. Just a hunch. Daniel C. Oberloh - Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works - www.oberloh.com
No anchor - no markings on the receiver. However, I think you are in the right part of the World at about the right time.
I've seen other brass with this brand on eBay--always with the Jenkins name, usually with "Austria" added. IMOHO, I'll bet that "Heinem" is a house brand and that this is really a B&F instrument--they made a lot for export to America pre-WWI under all sorts of names. You dion't always find the anchor or "B&F" on the valves, either.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Re: old tuba

Post by Chuck(G) »

Adam Peck wrote:It shares several characteristics with the old Tourville & co. tuba that I own.
Yup--and Tourvilles were made by B&F, in spite of the "Paris" name.
DaveWright
bugler
bugler

Re: Whattzit??

Post by DaveWright »

I bought that horn from Harvey Phillips nephew, I'm having the valves overhauled by Anderson.
Last edited by DaveWright on Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Whattzit??

Post by eupher61 »

Jenkins completely got out of the horn business sometime 50s-60s. The company went through a sale from the original family post-war and the new owners focused on pianos and organs (piani and orgae?) I don't think they dealt in any stencilled winds post-war.

But, certainly pre-WW2, they were a major dealer in anything musical. In the Ragtime Era they were a leading publisher, employed Charles Johnson (likely THE most prolific rag composer of all) to be their song stumper, and dealt in everything. The Jenkins name vanished in the 90s, when it was sold again and became Schmitt Pianos. They closed most of the small stores and have but 1 left, I think.