Whats this?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Whats this?

Post by ThomasDodd »

I saw [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3777845958]this[/ur] Reynolds 4v baritone on ebay. 4 in a ror pistons, forn mounted, but this picture has me confused though.

What is this piece in the midlde extening to the right? Part of a tuning slide trigger?
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Looks like it to me--either that, or the bottom part of an ashtray holder...
:lol:
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Chuck(G) wrote:the bottom part of an ashtray holder...
:lol:
Now that could be usefull, If I ever got to play in a location where I could...

:wink:
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

That is a main tuning slide "trigger," like on the old Conn Constellation (model 24/25I) baritone horns. It is essentially a spring loaded piston that allows moving the main tuning slide during playing but has a self centering ability so it will spring back to the original position. I own one of the Conn versions of these, and this looks almost identical. It does appear to be missing some of its parts though.
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Re: possible tuning slide

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

TUBACHRIS85 wrote:It looks like another valve, without a cap on it. A five valve baritone doesnt make sense. Its most likley for tuning.
I take it you've not seen the avatar of our friend Highams? It is, indeed, a five-valve euphonium (3 top + 2 side, all pistons). If a six-valve F tuba makes sense, why not a six-valve (or more) euphonium? If I remember correctly, a French tuba is essentially a euphonium in C with six valves ... sounds like fun to me! 8)
schlepporello wrote:Isn't that where the detonator goes?
That would be so you can play clear up to "C4", right? :wink:
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Re: possible tuning slide

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

schlepporello wrote:
Kevin Hendrick wrote:
schlepporello wrote:Isn't that where the detonator goes?
That would be so you can play clear up to "C4", right? :wink:
Well, I saw the plunger so I merely assumed......... :wink: :lol:
Makes sense to me! :D
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
Bandmaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Bandmaster »

Reynolds used these "dampners" on the first valve slides of some of their tubas also. Note photo below (also from a horn eBay). One of the tuba players in the community band I play in has one on his Reynolds recording tuba. You can set it to stop at preset positions making slide alterations more consistant.

Dave Schaafsma
1966 Holton 345 | 1955 York-Master | 1939 York 716 | 1940 York 702 | 1968 Besson 226 | 1962 Miraphone 186 | 1967 Olds | 1923 Keefer EEb | 1895 Conn Eb | 1927 Conn 38K | 1919 Martin Helicon