College basketball pet peeve

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

College basketball pet peeve

Post by MartyNeilan »

My wife likes watching college basketball, especially UK. So, that means the few times I am home and not involved with something, I get to watch a little college basketball. In general, it really is more interesting to watch than the NBA because there is more teamwork and less showboating. However, there is one thing I just don't get - why can't these kids make foul shots? These young men are the cream of the crop, but their free throw percentages are often terrible. I mean, when I was in high school we would hang around the gym and shoot foul shots or play horse, and the majority of the time they would go in. Could it be the stress of a crowded arena and the television cameras? Is it that these guys are too busy practicing 3 pointers to work on the basics anymore (definite tuba analogy here)?
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Re: College basketball pet peeve

Post by Dylan King »

Their fingers are sore from all of the slam-dunking they do, in practice and in games.
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I think it's hard to make that kind of blanket statement.

Some kids are shooters, some kids aren't. They are in college, so instead of fans dogging on them for missing shots, it should be a point that the coaches can teach them about and develop them as players.

You're right, there are a lot of tuba analogies -- it's annoying and boring to practice shooting free throws, just like it's annoying and boring to practice scales, articulation exercises, breathing gym stuff, etc. I don't like watching people miss free throws, nor do I like listening to bad tuba playing.

But these people (college bball players, tubists, whatever) are in college, and they owe me nothing.
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

google: Matt Gatens
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

In some of the big conferences and in many of the smaller ones, the distractions from the fans can be overwhelming.

[/post]
ShoelessWes
bugler
bugler

Post by ShoelessWes »

Much like Bloke was joking at...

It is a discipline thing. Free throw shooting takes incredible technique and a long, tireless dedication to improvement. In our era of instant gratification the youth does not want to put forth the effort to be good at these things.
Shoeless Wesley Pendergrass

Visual Designer/Consultant/Instructor
Freelance Musician

http://www.shoelessmusic.com
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

You will be pleased to know that at least where I live the coaches at the schools and colleges do discipline their students/players about free throws. I went to a local college ladies' game last week, and I do believe the home team only missed one free throw all night, and most of them were "nothing but net" clean.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

Foul shots aren't hard, they're just kids/idiots. :D

The more disturbing part is how no one, referee or coach, seems to enforce proper dribbling. I understand different standards for different age groups, but I see so much carrying I have a hard time not yelling at my refs (I run basketball leagues). :lol: Also, the seemingly mandatory phrase "and 1!!!" is the absolute worst phrase in the history of life.
ShoelessWes
bugler
bugler

Post by ShoelessWes »

Another one that bothers me... is that they never, EVER enforce the carrying rule. You can't put your hand under the ball. Jeeeebus.
Shoeless Wesley Pendergrass

Visual Designer/Consultant/Instructor
Freelance Musician

http://www.shoelessmusic.com
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

As far as UK and foul shooting goes, Cal has said in the past that he doesn't do a good job teaching free throws, he's messed some kids' ft shooting up and he just doesn't do it any more. But the team has made over 71% so far this year, and Lamb, Wiltjer, and MKG are north of 80%.

And it's hard to argue with 22-1. :tuba:
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

bloke wrote: I find it interesting that Kentucky hired a coach who has never been to the "Final Four".
I know you live around Memphis and there's a lot of anger at Cal there. But FWIW you're the last guy I would have expected to have drunk the NCAA's Kool Aid.

No matter what the NCAA says, there is no question that Kentucky defeated UMass, coached by Calipari, in the semifinal game in 1996, and that Memphis lost to Kansas in the championship game in 2008. Unfortunately he happened to have cheating players both of those years, and as a result the NCAA has tried to re-write history. But that doesn't mean it didn't happen: He indisputably had been to two final fours before coming to Kentucky.

(And no, I'm not going to get into an argument about the well-known fact that Calipari was exonerated of any wrongdoing in those situations, and has never been in the slightest difficulty with the NCAA compliance people, unlike, say, Roy Williams.)
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

Can I express Bruce Pearl-themed resentment here?
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

http://www.coachcal.com/11471/2012/02/t ... r-program/

Boom.

(You all knew Cal was against the one-and-done rule, right?)
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

No, I wasn't familiar with most of the NCAA rules.

Players should be given a stipend commensurate with the money they bring in. They are getting the opportunity to showcase their talents but how many of actually make a living playing basketball? Scholarship players are not allowed to have jobs even if they wanted to work. Guess it was too easy to have a big booster play a player $1000 to sit in a parking garage booth on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Or not do *any* sort of work for the money.

I must be a fogey but not being able to drop foul shots seems like losing easy money. A star player who is handling the ball is bound to get fouled frequently. Being able to stand and set the shot up is a learnable skill.

But what do I know?