Martin Fibreglass Sousaphone Bookmark and Share

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals

Martin Fibreglass Sousaphone

Postby William Cringan » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:00 pm

I have a sousaphone with "2064 Martin" stamped on the collar ring.

Where can I source these items?

3 valve stems and finger caps with felts. - The valves present and are in good condition.
3 bell tension screws for the bell and collar.
1 sousaphone repair kit - I think it includes felts, cork, grease, and possibly springs.
1 mouthpiece regular type.
1 mouthpiece of synthetic type for playing out doors in the cold
1 sousaphone neck and tuning bit.

What will I expect to pay?

I am presenting a repair estimate to the band leadership this month. Thank's in advance.
William Cringan Sousaphone player, Burlington TopHats Ontario, Canada.

wcringan@rogers.com
http://www.tophats.org
William Cringan

Postby bloke » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:53 pm

3 valve stems and finger caps with felts. - The valves present and are in good condition.

The valve stems for these sousaphones are very unusual, and are made like TRUMPET valve stems...The only thing to do would be to buy a "salvage condition" Martin "IMPERIAL" or "INDIANA" model trumpet, salvage it's valve stems, and add some additional length (via brazing...Find a repair tech.) at the top of each of the three stems...but you would have to compete with those buying these trumpets to salvage their parts for those parts that are interchangable with HIGHLY sought-after Martin "COMMITTEE" (Miles Davis, et al) trumpets. The only other option would be to have the tops of each of the three pistons completely "re-engineered" to accept more "traditional" stems. (ie. THIS will be your largest hurdle.)

3 bell tension screws for the bell and collar.

"generic" 1/4"-20 thread, as I remember...or simply tap out the bell screw flanges to fit 1/4"-20 screws.

1 sousaphone repair kit - I think it includes felts, cork, grease, and possibly springs.

whatev'...

1 mouthpiece regular type.

size 18 "copy-cat" brand...??

1 mouthpiece of synthetic type for playing out doors in the cold

"Kelly"

1 sousaphone neck and tuning bit.

Conn 20K style is about the closest you'll find...and you might have to replace the receiver to match...(no Martin necks for sale...unless some dummy wants to "mess up" their Martin sousaphone)

What will I expect to pay?

How much 'ya got? :lol:
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby harold » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:05 pm

Your best bet for finding valve stems for this particular instrument is to send the valves off to a repair guy that has a machine shop and have him make some new ones for you.

For all the products that you have listed here, I would expect to pay about $700.00 US. Your best bet may be to just think about buying another Sousaphone. You can certainly buy a quality product for less than $1,000.00.
harold

Postby bloke » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:20 pm

Your best bet for finding valve stems for this particular instrument is to send the valves off to a repair guy that has a machine shop and have him make some new ones for you.

For all the products that you have listed here, I would expect to pay about $700.00 US. Your best bet may be to just think about buying another Sousaphone. You can certainly buy a quality product for less than $1,000.00.

Well...

I'm not a TubeNet sponsor so I was withholding an estimate...but I was thinking (even with the likely "conversion" job and the replacement neck receiver installed) only about $525...but then there would be the r.t. international shipping that would (as you guessed) blow it right up there to c. $700...
bloke

Return to Off-Site deals and Ads