Tuba in Beethoven's 5th Symphony

The bulk of the musical talk
bill
3 valves
3 valves

Tuba in Beethoven's 5th Symphony

Post by bill »

Has anyone played Beethoven's 5th with a tuba part added or extrapolated as has been done for the 9th? Does anyone have a source for this, if it exists?

Thanks,
Always make a good sound; audiences will forget if you miss a note but making a good sound will get you the next job.
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Tuba in Beethoven's 5th Symphony

Post by PMeuph »

There's a Mahler re-orchestration for the 5th symphony as well as every other Beethoven symphony. I haven't seen any of the scores (I believe the critical scores are still not published yet).
I have a heard a recording of the 9th and there is a decent amount of tuba.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

PMeuph wrote:There's a Mahler re-orchestration for the 5th symphony as well as every other Beethoven symphony. I haven't seen any of the scores (I believe the critical scores are still not published yet).
Did you read it octave down?

Klaus
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

PMeuph wrote:There's a Mahler re-orchestration for the 5th symphony as well as every other Beethoven symphony. I haven't seen any of the scores (I believe the critical scores are still not published yet).
Did you read it octave down?

Klaus
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

An orchestra with which I play has Beethoven 9 and Mahler Songs of a Wayfarer scheduled for a spring concert. What a natural connection, I suggested, to have the Beethoven performed in the Mahler edition?

Unfortunately, the rental costs for a single performance ($982?) + the fees for the additional musicians (including, of course, the tubist) resulted in a thumbs down by the Executive Director.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

I have a very nice tuba part for Beethoven 9 which the conductor of my orchestra wrote for me. I have in PDF if anyone wants to put forward for playing with their orchestra. It works really well and to my ears sounds just right like Beethoven may have written if the tuba had existed in his day. The tuba plays throughout the first movement when there are no trombones and then in the last. It is definitely a bass tuba part with a lot of moving around in the high register and requiring delicate touch. I particularly like the Turkish march section. Now if I listen to the 9th without tuba, it sounds something is missing - it really seemed to enhance the symphony! :wink:

If my orchestra does the 5th some time, no doubt he will write part for that (I am lucky my conductor loves the sound of the tuba!) - he has promised me part for Schubert 9th Great Symphony when the orchestra plays it next year.
JohnSzkutko
bugler
bugler

Post by JohnSzkutko »

dgpretzel wrote:Our orchestra played Beethoven 5 last year. I was given the contrabassoon part to play.

We are playing Beethoven 9 this year. I don't know if I will be asked to play the contrabassoon part, or not.

Regarding the Mahler orchestrations... Is there a way to review or purchase that material?

DG
I played the contra bassoon part for Beethoven 9 a few years ago.

Firstly, it's written up an octave (lazy reading bassoon players) so you'll obviously have to read it down 1.

Secondly, really only 1 part of it is actually suitable with a tuba substitute, the Bb 6 lines below the staff. It's even a solo passage to start with before the orchestra builds upon this foundation. Kinda cool this situation 8)

The rest of the part mainly doubles the basses. Make sure you have your double and triple articulation in top condition to play this florid (not horrid) stuff. Also, try to play at p level during this, as you will wolf up the orchestra without trying. Remember, you're doubling with basses and you're supposed to be a bassoon.

It is tricky for volume balance and trying to balance "devoted practice time" vs "will they clearly hear this florid fly ****". You also feel like a shag on a rock sitting next to the bassoons... kinda like "something doesn't belong here" feeling then wondering if the Beethoven enthusiasts in the audience will notice or not.

Despite any self imposed anxieties, at the end of the concert it is worth the effort. You actually have the best seat in the house to experience this wonderful work, live on stage :tuba:
John Szkutko
- VoiceOfTheTuba.com
- iTubaOnline.com

Miraphone 1291 Bb
B&S PT15 F