Finale for $100, Expires May 19, midnight

The bulk of the musical talk
tokuno
3 valves
3 valves

Finale for $100, Expires May 19, midnight

Post by tokuno »

**** Edit ****

I'd forgotten to mention the offer's expiration in the original posting. Apologies.

Offer expires at Midnight CST
Sunday, May 19th, 2013

Email upgrade offer today from MakeMusic to get the full version of Finale 2012 for $99.95 (download version - they charge an extra $10 for the DVD & reference guide, if you want it).

If anyone's interested, they included a coupon code that appears to work without having to validate ownership of a previous product.

https://store.makemusic.com/Store/
Add the full retail version ($600) to your cart, and enter the coupon code: UP2FINALE

Given the previous discussions on other software options, Finale might not be a great value at any price if someone's not already familiar with the interface, but since my stuff is all already in Finale format, and I've spent the time learning some of its quirks, it's a pretty good deal to me.

And no, I don't have any affiliation with makemusic, other than as a customer.
Last edited by tokuno on Sun May 19, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMurphy
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Finale for $100

Post by TMurphy »

Promo code worked perfectly! I am now $100 poorer, but have a copy of Finale 2012 to use in grad school next year. Thanks!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I got that email this morning and deleted it thinking it was spam. Too good of a deal, and never heard of the store before. Whoops!
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

My version of Finale is real old — version 2001. I've not kept up with all of the patches and updates... don't remember what email addy I used to register so long ago either.

I wonder if this update will work for me? Too good of a deal to be the whole program I would think.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
Todd S. Malicoate
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Todd S. Malicoate »

Rick F wrote:My version of Finale is real old — version 2001. I've not kept up with all of the patches and updates... don't remember what email addy I used to register so long ago either.

I wonder if this update will work for me? Too good of a deal to be the whole program I would think.
I'm still on Finale 2002 and have never given them an email. I don't think that started until 2004. I just entered the key code on the package to "unlock" the program.
Lectron
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lectron »

Isn't there a free version of Sibelius?
Melton 200 -=- Melton 2141 -=- Cerveny 883 Opera -=- Besson 992 -=- MPCs: 3pcs steel (Sellmansberger/Parker)
Todd S. Malicoate
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Todd S. Malicoate »

Lectron wrote:Isn't there a free version of Sibelius?
Sure, for 30 days.
Lectron
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lectron »

Todd S. Malicoate wrote:
Lectron wrote:Isn't there a free version of Sibelius?
Sure, for 30 days.
Aw..ok lol
Melton 200 -=- Melton 2141 -=- Cerveny 883 Opera -=- Besson 992 -=- MPCs: 3pcs steel (Sellmansberger/Parker)
TMurphy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TMurphy »

Rick F wrote:My version of Finale is real old — version 2001. I've not kept up with all of the patches and updates... don't remember what email addy I used to register so long ago either.

It's the full version, not an upgrade. At least, if you follow the OP's directions, anyway.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I did the same thing about three weeks ago. I had been using Finale 'Print Music' that I originally purchased for $99. The upgrade to the full version was $99.95.

There is a slight 'catch'... the new registration number is the same as your old number. You have to have a Finale product. It ain't exactly a 'freebie'.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I got all the way to the point where it asked for my birth date, for some "children's privacy" thing. What the hell is that? I did not purchase because I don't go putting information like that into sites where I'm buying a product.
MA
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

I have been on Finale 2012 since it came out in 20011. How well it works for me others will have to tell. I like it anyway.

There is a history behind the current offer. MakeMusic got new owners in 2011, which were intend on investing in a rewrite of the code. So there wasn’t a 2013 version coming out in 2012.

A 2014 version is expected this year, but a date has not been announced yet. The low price for the full 2012 version to me looks like having a double purpose: getting cash from a product where there are next to no costs associated with selling extra samples. And at the same time expanding the potential customer base for the 2014 upgrade.

Klaus
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

So it comes down to
a) do I want to upgrade my 2005 to 2012, with probably a minimum of bugs
or
b) do I want to wait for the 2014 new code which will probably be riddled with bugs.

Still wanting to know why my birth date is any business of theirs, however at least I do not time travel as does Klaus who apparently has memories of the year 20011.

MA
ralphbsz
bugler
bugler

Post by ralphbsz »

MaryAnn wrote:I got all the way to the point where it asked for my birth date, for some "children's privacy" thing. What the hell is that? I did not purchase because I don't go putting information like that into sites where I'm buying a product.
MA
Probably needed because of an "abundance of caution" about recent child protection legislation. For the same reason Facebook doesn't allow people under 13 to open an account (a rule that is mostly honored in the breach, looking at my son's middle school friends). Over time, I expect more and more web sites to take measure to prevent children from accessing their sites (meaning they're covering their behind legally, without having any real effect).
imperialbari wrote:...The low price for the full 2012 version to me looks like having a double purpose: getting cash from a product where there are next to no costs associated with selling extra samples. And at the same time expanding the potential customer base for the 2014 upgrade.
I call that the drug dealer sales technique: The first hit is free; once the customer is hooked, you charge them.
jsmn4vu
bugler
bugler

Post by jsmn4vu »

Done. Thank you!
John in Atlanta

Eastman EBC632
Wisemann DTU-510
Conn 88H
Bach Strad LT16M
1972 King 3B
1955 Olds Ambassador trombone
King Flugabone
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

MaryAnn wrote:So it comes down to
a) do I want to upgrade my 2005 to 2012, with probably a minimum of bugs
or
b) do I want to wait for the 2014 new code which will probably be riddled with bugs.

Still wanting to know why my birth date is any business of theirs, however at least I do not time travel as does Klaus who apparently has memories of the year 20011.

MA
I think only a couple of those fields are noted as 'required'. I don't remember giving them a birthdate.

I'm waiting for a 'deal' on the scanning 'pro' program.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

schlepporello wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:Still wanting to know why my birth date is any business of theirs, however at least I do not time travel as does Klaus who apparently has memories of the year 20011.

MA
Klaus is a Time Lord?
That would explain a lot ... :wink:
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)