Any results from Philadelphia?

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Paul S
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Paul S »

RoyceLandon wrote:
bloke wrote:, even at $10K - $30K less "gross" pay, they feel that they have a much better quality of life,
That's funny. I heard that Philly is going to be the highest paid orchestra in the US by the end of their next contract.

Royce
Hi Royce,

Take the chance to read Bloke's entire post again as you might have read a bit too quickly the first time.

You will notice he offered that, for some people, it is worth working for (their current orchestra paying) $10-30K (LESS THAN Philly Offers) because of the better "quality of life" where they now work.

I know that at my age and stage of life, those "quality of life" issues are far greater to me than money is and I am no where near the calibre of player or pay scales in this discusion.
Paul Sidey, CCM '84
Principal Tubist, Grand Lake Symphony
B&S PT-606 CC - Yamaha YFB-621 F
SSH Mouthpieces http://sshmouthpieces.com/" target="_blank
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

bloke wrote:
wnazzaro wrote:How did our cities get this way? I'm sure that while 90% of white people were moving to the suburbs to buy nice homes in the 1950s, blacks could have gotten the same mortgages and moved too. Why is it called "white flight"?

w-h-a-a-a???

Where did "race" and "mortgage discrimination" non sequiturs slip into this thread...??? Oh yeah...I remember...in the quote above Image . :roll: ...so, "mortgage discrimination" in the 1950's is the reason why some of the orchestral tuba players currently making from $50K-$80K aren't interested in auditioning for Philly....o........k......

...then my question (to try to "out nutty" you, I suppose) is: Why did all of the wops wreck the town in the first place? :lol:

bloke "who suspects that he could locate quite a few dangerous/run-down neighborhoods in major cities that, in the 1950's, were referred to as 'suburbs'. "
Only a yankee in a yankee town would throw out "discrimination" as the reasons why certain folks are in the inner cities.

To live in a town like this you have two options:

Live in the uber-expensive part of town (Center City)

or

Drive with people on the fringe of insanity back and forth to work every day from 20-40 mile away.

Sure, there are certain places that ain't so bad, but some of those cities can be pretty run down in areas. More than like __________ Symphony Hall is not in those areas and you may be able to avoid them pretty well. But they are still there. And your $$$$$ in city and county and state and federal taxes doesn't do much to help either.

Living near Boston is interesting. I have had to visit a certain hospital there a few times. I have taken back roads to get into town and I always go through the nice residential area to get into town. My wife was curious to see how much a decent house in this area costs. Well $750,000 for a 2000 sqft house is a bit much plus the $15-20K a year in taxes.

If anything, "whitey" has simply driven up the prices near downtown in whatever-big-city-you-choose.
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

See....and this is the very reason I say "Bring back the politics section" and let the mud slinging take place there. :lol: :lol:
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
Dan Satterwhite
bugler
bugler

Post by Dan Satterwhite »

Last time I was in Philadelphia, the neighborhood where the Academy of Music is located (Verizon Hall was still an architectural model in the Academy's lobby) didn't look anything like the pictures posted. You can find undesirable neighborhoods like that in most any big city. I spent some extended time in Philadelphia back when Charlie Vernon played in the orchestra, and he lived in a beautiful, affordable (at the time, at least) home in Collingswood, NJ, where he had a 3 minute walk to the high speed line, which dropped him in less than half an hour about a block from the Academy. Much nicer than his 1 1/2 hour commute every morning in Chicago. Bad neighborhoods in THAT town, too. Boston, LA, San Francisco, Dallas, Houston, New York, Newark, Washington DC, Baltimore............
Dan Satterwhite
bugler
bugler

don't come to Florida looking to be a part of a growing musical community!
Dan Satterwhite
bugler
bugler

Unfortunately, Florida has a bad reputation for fostering local classical music. The audiences here are very happy to come hear something that's traveling through (conveniently, it seems that the Cleveland Orchestra will be opening the new $400,000,000 hall in Miami, rather than the now defunct Florida Philharmonic), but financial support for full-time musical organizations is not there. The Florida Symphony died quite awhile ago, replaced more recently by the per-service Orlando Philharmonic. The Florida Philharmonic went down a couple of years ago, and has been sort ofreplaced by a handful of per service semi chamber orchestras, all billing themselves as the sucessor of the FPO. Remaining in Florida are the Naples Philharmonic, which is a fairly small core orchestra who hires a good deal of extras for it's bigger programs (many of which are pops) and, to my knowledge, has not grown substantially since it's inception, the Jacksonville Symphony, which has a base salary of less than $30k a year and had financial troubles recently, and the Florida Orchestra in Tampa-St. Pete, which also pays a base salary below 30k, and has had to endure huge cuts in salary and benefits recently to stay afloat. Unfortunately, things are headed in the wrong direction down here.