BBb piggy

The bulk of the musical talk
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

BBb piggy

Post by ken k »

the recent post about the Cerveny piggy got me looking on their website and I do not see acomparable BBb tuba with the same specs as the Piggy but in BBb:
.827 bore
15.75" bell
35.83" height.

they have compact kaiser with the .827 valve bore, but it is much larger 19.7" bell and is 38" tall I believe.

Anyone know of a BBb Piggy?

the Cerveny 3/4 BBb #683 horn only has a .727 bore. looks like the same size bell as a Piggy but is also shorter at 34.25 inches tall

the closest horn that I can think of may be the St Pete. that has a bore of .830 and a smallish bell, a little bigger than the piggy however I think, but similar perhaps.

ken k
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Re: BBb piggy

Post by Heavy_Metal »

The Piggy carries Cerveny's basic model number 603. The CC version is the CCB-603. They do list a BBb version on their site, the CBB-603, here:

http://www.vfcerveny.cz/en/rotary-valve ... -cbb-603-4" target="_blank

but there's no detailed info. Might be strictly a special-order item.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Post by Matt Walters »

Cerveny was indeed trying to make a BBb version of the 603 "Piggy". Back when Amati, USA was a brick and mortar identity here in New Jersey, I got to play the first one they sent over here to the USA. Someone forgot to make the slide tubing longer than what they had on the CC so intonation was a mess. It felt nice though. It's been a couple years now since I played it but I think it had a 17.75" bell flair. If they get it right, I'd like to play test one bought at someone else's risk and expense. I'd start ordering them for store stock if they come up to the potential. There are a lot of tubist getting older and want a light tuba that still has a big sound while playing relatively in-tune.
I do see a link for the CBB603-4 on their website with what looks like a picture of a CC but no details.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

A little bit larger bell, a little bit smaller bore, but the same tight wrap: Melton 18?

Likewise, a Miraphone 282?
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

iiipopes wrote:A little bit larger bell, a little bit smaller bore, but the same tight wrap: Melton 18?

Likewise, a Miraphone 282?
i played a MW 18 at Dillons afew years back and it is a great playing horn. I did not compare it with a piggy at the time however. there seems to be many 3/4 horns with smaller bore than the piggy but not any with a bore size in the .830 range, which is probably what make the piggy play bigger than it looks.

k
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
NCSUSousa
3 valves
3 valves

Post by NCSUSousa »

Heavy_Metal wrote:The Piggy carries Cerveny's basic model number 603. The CC version is the CCB-603. They do list a BBb version on their site, the CBB-603, here:

http://www.vfcerveny.cz/en/rotary-valve ... -cbb-603-4" target="_blank" target="_blank

but there's no detailed info. Might be strictly a special-order item.
These guys list the CBB-603 for sale, along with specs: https://m.thomann.de/gb/cerveny_cbb_603 ... ef=mmc_a_4
BBb Tuba with 4 Rotors -
TE-2110 (2009) + TE Rose
Mack 210 (2011) + Bruno Tilz NEA 310 M0
G. Schneider (Made in GDR, 1981?) + Conn Helleberg 120S
I earn my living as an Electrical Engineer - Designing Power systems for buildings
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

I have this CC piggy now and it plays great! I am not sure about the CC thing however. I already play BBb and Eb and then I play Eb treble clef in a brass band and I play trumpet at school with students. This is one space or line off of my usual reading and I keep regressing to Eb fingerings....or treble clef note names....grrrr.....

the resonance is very cool however. My Boosey does not have that.
k
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Sandlapper
bugler
bugler

Post by Sandlapper »

St. Pete is a 4/4?
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Post by J.c. Sherman »

The "Arion" is kinda/sorta the BBb Pig. However, Bloke is right on the money - The St. Pete is as close as you're going to find to a compact BBb enormophone like the Pig.
Instructor of Tuba & Euphonium, Cleveland State University
Principal Tuba, Firelands Symphony Orchestra
President, Variations in Brass
http://www.jcsherman.net
IkeH
bugler
bugler

Post by IkeH »

I'm lucky to have access to a brand new Arion (Cerveny BBb) at the high school where I teach lessons. It's the next best thing to having my piggy with me, but it's better to have this one there to help illustrate the exercises in the BBb fingering. This one plays more in tune than my 50 yr old horn and has the expected darker sound.

It looks like the St Pete is enjoying a little better rep than what I used to see here. I played a used one about a year ago in a music store here and I thought it played very easy and in tune.

Ike