Accord Flight Case

The bulk of the musical talk
John Banther
bugler
bugler

Accord Flight Case

Post by John Banther »

Hi Everyone,

I always felt there was way too little info/pictures about the Accord case. Joe Exley's has been the only one I have seen.

My Accord flight case came in the mail a couple days ago. I got it in "3D blue," as I really like the natural carbon look, and it is supposed to show less wear and tear from flying. The blue looks a lot darker/subtle in person.

So far, I love it! It definitely needs more of the velcro padding, I contacted them to get some more.

It is light, really really light! This will be replacing my gig bag I think 99% of the time. Although it is bigger than I expected, I thought they would trim it down for my F tuba. But, if it really is like everyone says, free to check, then that is fine with me!

The Fiedler backpack straps are great as well, very comfortable. I actually took off the padding and music pocket, it feels perfectly fine on my back (so far).

Highly recommend it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miraphone Artist, Parker Mouthpieces Artist. Rodney Marsalis Philadelphia Big Brass, host on WETA 90.9 Washington. http://www.JohnBanther.com
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Accord Flight Case

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
What are these cases running price wise these days?
Mark
John Banther
bugler
bugler

Post by John Banther »

They are around $2,200 without Customs/Shipping.

Yes, it's the same shell for all tubas. But, they are now in the process of creating a new mold for 6/4 tubas, if they get enough pre-orders/interest.
Miraphone Artist, Parker Mouthpieces Artist. Rodney Marsalis Philadelphia Big Brass, host on WETA 90.9 Washington. http://www.JohnBanther.com
itai
bugler
bugler

Post by itai »

Looks really great!
May I ask you (as I am interested in one for a long while now)-
- how long did it take from the moment you ordered until the moment it arrived?
- do they really come with back straps? (I heard that they recently cancelled that option)
Itai Agmon
Israel Philharmonic Orchestra
John Banther
bugler
bugler

Post by John Banther »

I ordered it the beginning of November, and it got here December 30th.

I wrote Lance at Quality Strings (the importer) an email, and the next day he called and told me what to do, I ordered it that day. He said it would most likely be here by January, so he was spot on. But he did not guarantee, as sometimes they take longer.

I asked for the backpack system, and it came like that. The backpack is not something Accord makes, it's by Fiedler. Even if they said they wouldn't do it, you can install it yourself.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Even with tubas varying widely in sizes, if someone has the skill and knowledge of making molded forms or cases like this, at the price of the Accord cases, this field is wide open to a talented entrepreneur(s) here in the States.....
Mark
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Thanks for posting the images. The fact that the leadpipe is on the hinge-side of the case is a new one on me. I've always thought the horn was oriented with the leadpipe toward the handle so it's not apt to be exposed if the case is set down hard on the bottom.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Aaron Tindall
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Aaron Tindall »

Accord has not produced a 6/4 case - until now.

Aubrey Foard and I have teamed up recently and managed to convince Accord to produce a 6/4 case that's made to fit both 5/4 and 6/4 tubas. Through Accord's exclusive U.S. distributor, Quality String Imports, we've set up a path for anyone who's interested to easily purchase a 6/4 case. In order to do so, simply follow this two step process:

1.) Go to: http://accordcase.com/model.asp?m=3.18.2" target="_blank, then download and fill out the measurement form.
2.) Send the measurement form, your preference of color, and a deposit check for $1,450.00 to:
Quality String Imports
203-04 32nd Ave
Bayside, NY 11361
*be sure to include "Accord 6/4 Tuba Case Deposit" in the memo line
(If you wish, you may email the measurement form and color preference to qualitystrings@yahoo.com" target="_blank, with a cc to bestqualitycases@yahoo.com" target="_blank)

The deposit is fully refundable if requested before the production of your case has begun. The price for each case is $2,150 - you pay the remainder of your balance once your case is ready for delivery. That may seem like a steep price, but the average overweight fee on an airline these days is $200 each way. If you get dinged for oversize as well, it's even more! With a 6/4 Accord case, you'll make up the cost of your investment in just five roundtrip flights.

Best Wishes and Happy Holidays,
Aaron Tindall and Aubrey Foard
Aaron Tindall
Principal Tuba - Naples Philharmonic
Frost School of Music - University of Miami
Tuba Professor- The Colburn School
Principal Tuba & Faculty - Eastern Music Festival
jonesbrass
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jonesbrass »

Sweet!
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, 1922 Conn 86I
Gone but not forgotten:
Cerveny 681, Musica-Steyr F, Miraphone 188, Melton 45, Conn 2J, B&M 5520S CC, Shires Bass Trombone, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX, St. Petersburg 202N
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

John Banther wrote:They are around $2,200 without Customs/Shipping.

Yes, it's the same shell for all tubas. But, they are now in the process of creating a new mold for 6/4 tubas, if they get enough pre-orders/interest.
Nice! Please keep us posted on your experience with it. What is the width of the bell of your Miraphone in the case?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Case blah blah blah... :D

...that is a SWEET looking F tuba! Firebird? What's the 7th paddle for?
John Banther
bugler
bugler

Post by John Banther »

It has 8 paddles in total.

Valves 1-5 in right hand
6 valve in left + 2 triggers for valves 1 and 2
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Aubrey Foard »

Just to further back up what Aaron already said and what John can now testify to: Accord produces an exceptional lightweight flight case. I've had two 4/4 Accord cases that I bought in 2008 and flown 100,000+ miles per year with them since then. The cases have held up remarkably well, I've avoided damage, and I've not paid a single oversize or overweight charge since receiving them (the cases with tuba inside range from 43 - 46 lbs). The problem has been traveling with my 6/4 tuba (I play a MW 6450 " Baer"). As many of you are well aware, you're given a choice of: a.) buying a seat for the 6/4 or b.) having a large flight case weighing, with tuba, over 70 lbs ($200+ fee each way) and being clearly oversize ($150+ fee each way).

The big news is that Accord has agreed to produce a flight case that will fit 6/4 tubas. Now, it will be possible to travel around the world, taking auditions and playing in orchestras, without having to pay so much as an extra dime to check your horn! The price for the 6/4 case is even the same as the 4/4 at $2150 before shipping and customs. That may seem like a lot, but you'll end up saving money in the long run by not giving it to the airlines (which, by the way, make close to 100% profit off of your overweight / oversize fees).

Interested? To get started, simply follow the instructions that Aaron provided below. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post here or email me off-board.

Aubrey Foard
Principal Tuba, Charlotte Symphony Orchestra
Lecturer of Tuba and Euphonium, University of California, Los Angeles
Aaron Tindall wrote:Accord has not produced a 6/4 case - until now.

Aubrey Foard and I have teamed up recently and managed to convince Accord to produce a 6/4 case that's made to fit both 5/4 and 6/4 tubas. Through Accord's exclusive U.S. distributor, Quality String Imports, we've set up a path for anyone who's interested to easily purchase a 6/4 case. In order to do so, simply follow this two step process:

1.) Go to: http://accordcase.com/model.asp?m=3.18.2" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank, then download and fill out the measurement form.
2.) Send the measurement form, your preference of color, and a deposit check for $1,450.00 to:
Quality String Imports
203-04 32nd Ave
Bayside, NY 11361
*be sure to include "Accord 6/4 Tuba Case Deposit" in the memo line
(If you wish, you may email the measurement form and color preference to qualitystrings@yahoo.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank, with a cc to bestqualitycases@yahoo.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank)

The deposit is fully refundable if requested before the production of your case has begun. The price for each case is $2,150 - you pay the remainder of your balance once your case is ready for delivery. That may seem like a steep price, but the average overweight fee on an airline these days is $200 each way. If you get dinged for oversize as well, it's even more! With a 6/4 Accord case, you'll make up the cost of your investment in just five roundtrip flights.

Best Wishes and Happy Holidays,
Aaron Tindall and Aubrey Foard
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Aubrey Foard »

bloke wrote:I looks like they may (??) be interested in adapting their 186-sized shell for as many models as possible (rather than custom-designing glove-fit shells for various models).
That's essentially how it works. My understanding is that Accord uses a mold to produce all tuba cases: they heat the carbon fiber and Kevlar composite until it's pliable, shape it to the mold, then wait for it to cool. I believe they have to do this several times to get enough layers so that the case is as strong as advertised. Up until now, they've only use one mold - for the 4/4 tubas - to produce their flight cases. As I wrote above, they've agreed to produce a mold that will create a shell large enough to house both 5/4 and 6/4 tubas. For all tubas, you send in a measurement form and they provide high density foam that is meant to fit specifically to your model. The foam is modular - it attaches to the shell via Velcro - so you can rearrange it however you'd like to ensure maximum protection while in transit.
TubaTinker wrote:Thanks for posting the images. The fact that the leadpipe is on the hinge-side of the case is a new one on me. I've always thought the horn was oriented with the leadpipe toward the handle so it's not apt to be exposed if the case is set down hard on the bottom.
My experience has been that the luggage handlers and TSA don't really pay attention to what side the case should be placed on. :?

That said, there is a retaining strap that helps to keep the bell in place and you can use the modular foam padding to insulate the leadpipe from the side of the shell. For me, the danger has been primarily with the horn shifting up and down (towards and away from the valve section) rather than side to side in the case. So, you want to make sure the tuba is really snug in that sense.
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Aubrey Foard »

Curmudgeon wrote:There's two dimensions labeled "E" on that sizing form. Throat diameter and body length are both "E."

http://accordcase.com/documents/TUBA-Me ... ntForm.pdf
Good catch - that's a typo on Accord's part. I would suggest placing a large "X" over the first E (midway up the bell diameter) and then writing in X with the measurement in the left column.
jacobg
3 valves
3 valves

Post by jacobg »

French horn players solved their airline problems by cutting their bells, as did Øystein Baadsvik. I wonder if it's time to drop superstitions regarding external bell tenons "affecting the sound". It seems that many players have overcome the "mouthpiece that looks like the end of a large summer sausage" superstition.
I've been using two different trombones with cut screw bells and tiny cases for the past 4 years. It's baffling to me why more tuba and trombone players and manufacturers don't adopt these as standard - the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.
Also, of all the things that are made more cheaply in Asia, lightweight tuba cases seem like they would be a no-brainer. Surely these cases are simpler to manufacture than the tuba itself.
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Aubrey Foard »

bloke wrote:Airline fee savings are one thing, but I don't see anything in the internal padding design that offers any better strategy than any other case regarding preventing bell creases when others slam the bell end of the case against a hard surface.

French horn players solved their airline problems by cutting their bells, as did Øystein Baadsvik. I wonder if it's time to drop superstitions regarding external bell tenons "affecting the sound". It seems that many players have overcome the "mouthpiece that looks like the end of a large summer sausage" superstition.

Obviously, the weight factor - combined with a hard shell - is alluring.

Are there any player/sales representatives associated with this company?

How much would a well-made (mass-produced plastic molded) 6/4 "body-only case" weigh with a 6/4 body in it ?
With half the case gone and 1X% of the tuba's weight gone, would it slip in under the 50 lb. threshold ?
A lot of aspects of the Accord Case prevent bell damage:
1.) When the case is closed, the kevlar and carbon fiber composite makes it incredibly strong. You would literally have to drop it from the roof of a three story building to damage it.
2.) The bell side of the case is actually at a moderate angle, preventing direct hits to that part of the shell.
3.) There is a built-in foam padding that's shaped to the bell to absorb any impact that may occur.

In addition to John's pics, you can see the Accord Case in action at Joe Exley's travel blog here: http://www.tubajoe.com/tubajoe/accord-case/

I can also testify that I've not had any bell damage since receiving my cases. Prior to receiving the Accord cases, I did travel with molded plastic cases and they were - to be frank - problematic. They were easily damaged by moderate impact and did not absorb the full force of all impact, thus transferring that motion to the tuba. This resulted in a lot of repair bills over the years and a lot of damage to my instruments.

I think it's worth noting that I think it would be disingenuous to say that the Accord Case is a 110% guarantee that your horn won't get damaged while in transit. However, I believe it is the best flight case on the market right now: it offers the best protection for your tuba while being very lightweight. In over 600,000 miles of commercial flight in the past six years, my Accord cases have withstood the worst baggage handlers and TSA agents and come out the other end without damage to the tubas inside. If you buy this case, are you guaranteed to have the same experience? No. But I'd say the chances are above excellent that your tubas will emerge unscathed (as mine have) after years of use.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

I can see how it might be possible to make a 6/4 tuba flight case that will come in a total of 50 lbs. with horn, but I just don't see how it is physically possible to cram a 6/4 tuba into a case that measures less than a total of 63" (L × W × H), even considering the possibility of a detachable bell.

If your case measures over 63" L × W × H, you WILL be charged an oversize fee by the airlines.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Airlines WILL charge both fees (oversize & overweight) independently and consecutively (ask me how I know!)

If your case dimensions (length, width and height) when added together measure more than 63" (coincidentally the size of a large suitcase), you will be subject to an oversize fee.

Bloke, how much padding are you allowing all around your horn? I built a case for my detachable bell 716 York, and allowing 2" of space all around, the case measures in at a total of 71". I would think a Rudy 5/4 is a little larger than a York?

Even if you took all the padding out of the case pictured below, I can't see a 6/4 tuba body fitting inside; and according to airline definitions, this case is oversize by 8".

I would love to see a 6/4 tuba travel case that will "clock in" within standard airline luggage dimensions; I just don't see how it's physically possible.

Last edited by roweenie on Sat May 30, 2015 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Aubrey Foard »

roweenie wrote:If your case measures over 63" L × W × H, you WILL be charged an oversize fee by the airlines.
All I can tell you is that I've never been charged an oversize fee for an Accord case, regardless of airline flown. I'm not sure what else I can say to satisfy your skepticism?

As for the weight being under 50 lbs, the facts speak for themselves: 18 lbs (Accord flight case) + 28 lbs (6/4 tuba) = 46 lbs