Tiger Plastic Tuba review Bookmark and Share

Musical clipart and multimedia

Re: Tiger Plastic Tuba review

Postby Deleted dp » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:12 pm

are you selling these things? Either way, welcome aboard, I'd like to see the jinbao distributor guys get some competition for the low-coin purchases. Actually I'd much rather see first-time shoppers get old used horns for less money and maybe spend a bit on lessons with a live teacher (like that'll suddenly turn around!) And I have to ask other tubenet readers: how many words does it take to overwhelm the fact that the valves on the plastic show horns were atrocious? Should I start a poll thread, or has past profligate (or was that prolific) discussion adequately answered that question?

PaulSchmidt wrote:The Tiger tuba is made of ABS plastic, according to the manufacturer.
I have seen quite a few comments from people of forums about "plastic is brittle". Well, not to belabor the point, but "brass is malleable"! If you want a tuba that can survive a fall from a parade float, or which is being handled by kids who are not yet able to handle a large tuba with sufficient care, or being handled by and older person who might not be able to deal with the weight of a brass tuba, or who might be more prone to dropping it, you want the dent-proof plastic.
It is also UNTRUE as a general statement that "plastic is brittle". Nylon is a plastic, and nobody would call it brittle. If you get metal cold, it becomes brittle. Heck, if you stick your hand in liquid nitrogen, it becomes brittle too. There are many kinds of plastics, with all sorts of physical and chemical characteristics. In the case of ABS, my own research shows that it is a polymer made by combining three molecules; styrene for the hard impervious surface, acrylonitrile as a binder, and polybutadiene which makes the result resilient (not brittle) even at low temperatures, and basically this is a very tough plastic.
ABS is a relatively safe plastic to use in close contact with humans, including for storage of food. However when it is heated for molding, or when exposed to alcohol for extended periods, it gives off fumes which should be ventilated. ABS is considered so safe that nobody has a problem with the fact that LEGO bricks are made from it. Plastic recorders and clarinets and oboes are usually made from ABS.
ABS is most valued for its high impact resistance (again, not brittle) and overall toughness.It has excellent structural stability under mechanical load.
ABS is resistant to many acids and alkalis, concentrated hydrochloric and phosphoric acids, alcohols, as well as animal, vegetable and mineral oils (it should tolerate petroleum based valve oils and slide lubricants, but it is probably safer to use synthetics). ABS should not be used around anhydrous acetic acid (sort of a concentrated water-free vinegar), carbon tetrachloride, aromatic hydrocarbons, concentrated sulfuric and concentrated nitric acids, or esters, ketones, or acetone.
ABS breaks down if exposed to sunlight for an extended period, so it needs to be protected by paint; some formulations of ABS are more resistant to sunlight.
Back to the supposed brittleness, car bumpers, golf club heads, hammer movements on many pianos, computer keyboard keys, and most 3D printed items are made from ABS, so again not too brittle.
This all has nothing to do with whether you like the Tiger tuba and other instruments, but it should shed some light on some of the controversy regarding whether Rheinsound Music chose a good material.
Deleted dp

Postby bloke » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:48 am

DP wrote:are you selling these things? Either way, welcome aboard, I'd like to see the jinbao distributor guys get some competition for the low-coin purchases. Actually I'd much rather see first-time shoppers get old used horns for less money and maybe spend a bit on lessons with a live teacher (like that'll suddenly turn around!) And I have to ask other tubenet readers: how many words does it take to overwhelm the fact that the valves on the plastic show horns were atrocious? Should I start a poll thread, or has past profligate (or was that prolific) discussion adequately answered that question?

Poll:

1/ Go get 'em, Tiger!
2/ Go get 'em: Tiger !
3/ Go get...mmm...Tiger.
4/ Go get 'em, Tiger ?
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Ulli » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:55 am

PaulSchmidt wrote:The Tiger tuba is made of ABS plastic, according to the manufacturer.

All I wanted to know is the kind of plastic.
ABS (not brittle, i know). Thank you.

Is a silver-metallic Tiger available?

Ulli
Ulli
3 valves
3 valves

Postby MartyNeilan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:52 am

Neptune wrote:I have considered Wessex selling the Tiger tuba, but don't think so. The value to price ratio is not good in my opinion.

I think for a price in the $750-795 to your doorstep, they would sell better. And have actual raised bearing plates on the top and bottom cap.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Location: I play the tuba and ride a motorcycle. Hi, I'm your new neighbor!

Postby Daryl Fletcher » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:55 am

Neptune wrote:There is also a piston valve plastic BBb tuba here. That does not play well. Difficult slotting and poor intonation.

Is it this one?

Daryl Fletcher
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Ulli » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:09 pm

Daryl Fletcher wrote:
Neptune wrote:There is also a piston valve plastic BBb tuba here. That does not play well. Difficult slotting and poor intonation.

Is it this one?

No, please look here:

http://www.musiktreff.info/instrumente/ ... eite2.html

scroll to input #17
Ulli
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Daryl Fletcher » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:40 pm

Ulli wrote:No, please look here:

http://www.musiktreff.info/instrumente/ ... eite2.html" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

scroll to input #17

It looks like a Yamaha 621.
Daryl Fletcher
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Jose the tuba player » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:54 pm

Daryl Fletcher wrote: It looks like a Yamaha 621.

i played this one at namm and it was so crapply put together that i don't know why they even bothered to show it off. The valves were plastic and they were sticking a lot, the plastic on these thing is horrible cheap, the tiger felt solid compared to this and at least the tiger was able to be played decently whereas this one was unplayable

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8f8FF ... sp=sharing
WTB OLDS SOUSAPHONE WITH 20 INCH BELL
Jose the tuba player
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Three Valves » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:42 am

Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby iDot2K3 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:01 pm

I've got one on the way. I'll comment once I get some time logged on it. As a materials science engineer who works in the polymers industry and plays several times a week I should be able to comment on various aspects of the horn. My hope going in is largely in the sealing and perfection of the molded parts vs that of extruded/formed parts of brass counterparts.
Andrew Geiger
An Ohio State 'i' dotter
Miraphone 1291 5V var.
Chicago Area
iDot2K3
lurker
lurker

Postby Keyser Soze » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:39 am

Hey Tuba people, I'm the one from the german Musiktreff-Forum who took the pictures of the black plastic tuba mentioned above at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt last week. I was able to play the black version with perinet valves myself and can confirm that it sounds very crappy. I would rather call it a toy, not a serious musical instrument.
But the other plastic tubas with rotary valves that you can see here sound much better. Not comparable to metal-instruments but quite good for the fact that they are made of plastic.
Keyser Soze
lurker
lurker

Postby Cthuba » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:20 pm

I'm just curious if anyone still owns one of these instruments and how they've held together. Also, if anyone has used them in any outdoor gigs?
Rudy 3/4

That which is dead can eternal lie and with many strange aeons even tubas will fly
-A Misquote from HP Lovecraft.
Cthuba
bugler
bugler

Postby the elephant » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:25 pm

Since this has now been bumped back to life, I have held a secret suspicion that the maker of the uber-crappy 621 knockoff is actually somehow involved with the makers of the Tiger tuba. The cynic in me thinks the black horn was produced so poorly to give a baseline that makes the Toger look much better. The question was asked: Why did they even show it, it was so bad. The reason is that someone made a buck from showing it, whether it was to sell it or to sell the Tiger indirectly.

The music business sucks so hard that this is not a difficult thing for me to believe.
Click here for a look at the best 6/4 now on the market...
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Previous

Return to Media