USAF Heritage of America Band Tuba Vacancy

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Colby Fahrenbacher
bugler
bugler

USAF Heritage of America Band Tuba Vacancy

Post by Colby Fahrenbacher »

The United States Air Force Heritage of America Band announces an immediate vacancy for tuba. Audition materials are due Friday, July 3rd. The live audition will be held Friday, August 14th at Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia. For more information, refer to our audition poster and our audition requirements.

Preliminary Excerpts
A) SOLO of applicant’s choice
B) KING: Barnum and Bailey’s Favorite (second ending before second strain to second ending before Trio, take the repeat)
C) GRAINGER: Lincolnshire Posey – Rufford Park Poachers (pick-up to rehearsal 51 to rehearsal 68, bottom octave)
D) BERNSTEIN: Symphonic Dance Music (EXCERPT 1: rehearsal 54 to two measures before rehearsal 69; EXCERPT 2: rehearsal 74 to two measures before rehearsal 90)
E) Remainder of material may be excerpts and/or small ensemble recording’s of choice.

I am happy to answer any questions people have about the audition and the job.
Former tubist, USAF Bands
ZMan
bugler
bugler

Re: USAF Heritage of America Band Tuba Vacancy

Post by ZMan »

Army National Guard musicians are not eligible.
Josh7e
lurker
lurker

Post by Josh7e »

How much "remainder of material" would be appropriate for the recorded round?
Colby Fahrenbacher
bugler
bugler

The guidelines that I provided in my original post only roughly outline the recording requirements. The link that I provided for the audition requirements gives more detail. Specifically, we would like for the length of candidates' tapes to be no shorter than 10 minutes and no longer than 20 minutes. So, the "remainder of material" would be what would put your tape between 10 and 20 minutes after your solo and excerpts recording.

Hope this helps!
Josh7e
lurker
lurker

Post by Josh7e »

Sure does! Thanks!
Jeff Keller
bugler
bugler

Post by Jeff Keller »

Active Duty military members and prior service members are not eligible for this audition.

:-/
The United States Army Band, "Pershing's Own"
PT-6S
MW2250
tubaport
bugler
bugler

Post by tubaport »

It's ok, Jeff. They'll probably have everyone pay their way to come out to an audition, only to not hire anyone due to an air force hiring freeze ;-) just my 2 cents...
Kyle Hurst

”Wagner use to read the libretti of his operas to his friends; I’m glad I was not there.”
Ralph Vaughan Williams
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Why should those who already have jobs holding auditions for positions they can't fill suffer??

:shock:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Phillip B
lurker
lurker

Post by Phillip B »

Since 2009 every Air Force Career Field tuba audition has resulted in a hire. This will be the 3rd audition at Langley AFB in that time. In 2009 they hired 2 tubists, and in 2012 they hired Colby. My 2 cents say they will hire, and it's too bad some people seem to be ineligible for this one because it will be a good gig for someone.
Colby Fahrenbacher
bugler
bugler

There's still lots of time left to put together your tapes, and if you are still on the fence about sending in a tape, I wanted to let you know that you occasionally we get some awesome opportunities to solo with the various ensembles at the USAF Heritage of America Band. For example, last April I had the honor of playing the first movement from Rolf Wilhelm's Concertino for Tuba and Wind Ensemble (video evidence: https://youtu.be/iLexuY6DruA" target="_blank). This is not the first, nor the last chance I will have to solo in my Air Force career. Just some food for thought!