Long Island CL: "Kaiser" Tuba

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Long Island CL: "Kaiser" Tuba

Post by bort »

Take it to a reputable shop, set a budget, and have as much done as possible. Always start with a cleaning and go from there.

If you do decide to replace the valve linkages, have it done right, and don't slap on some cheap Chinese parts. Hopefully the bell isn't too bad, and there is still a lot of life left in this old tuba!
sugawi
3 valves
3 valves

Post by sugawi »

To me looks similar to the one on the left:
Taken from B&F section here:
http://www.schneideruwe.de/tubamuseum.html
sugawi
3 valves
3 valves

Post by sugawi »

GregTuba79 wrote:That thing is awesome, does it play really "woofy" though? I know from seeing different Kaiser's playing in person and Youtube because of that huge .855 ish bore they have more of a dark rumble than their smaller B flat counterparts.
I guess that's what the most fascinating to me about this tuba. I had 4/4 size Miraphones, Cervenys but this loud woofy dark rumble is something I've been looking for all my life :D
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

sugawi wrote:
GregTuba79 wrote:That thing is awesome, does it play really "woofy" though? I know from seeing different Kaiser's playing in person and Youtube because of that huge .855 ish bore they have more of a dark rumble than their smaller B flat counterparts.
I guess that's what the most fascinating to me about this tuba. I had 4/4 size Miraphones, Cervenys but this loud woofy dark rumble is something I've been looking for all my life :D
Congratulations on a really nice find!

The springs are fascinating. It looks like it has the gears for the thumbscrew adjustable clock springs, but thumb screws are gone and someone has squeezed in more ordinary springs to serve. And yeah, the compressed spring for water key is unusual too!

That instrument has a lot of character.

Play your heart out on it!

And thanks for posting the schneideruwe.de link, as it might prove useful to me!
Thanks for playing!
sugawi
3 valves
3 valves

Post by sugawi »

bort wrote:Take it to a reputable shop, set a budget, and have as much done as possible. Always start with a cleaning and go from there.

If you do decide to replace the valve linkages, have it done right, and don't slap on some cheap Chinese parts. Hopefully the bell isn't too bad, and there is still a lot of life left in this old tuba!
Took it to Tim's Music (Sacramento) and Scott was there to look at it. The bell can be repaired and price is reasonable. There are several patches on a lead pipe and few other spots need to be checked for leaks and dents removed. When it comes to valve assembly he recommend Alexander, approx $1000 in parts and another $500 intallation/modification. He didn't recommend less expensive St. Pete's so Chinese were out of the question. Valve action is clunky and loud, so at least some adjustments will need to be done.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Very cool! In my opinion, if it's something you want to use long-term (which it sounds like it is), then it's worth paying a little extra for quality parts.

It just brings to mind a certain classic Alexander I heard of a little while ago... which had been retrofitted with an inferior set of Chinese linkages. It was a real head scratcher to hear that such an extremely high quality instrument was quick-fixed with a low-quality part.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

bort wrote: It just brings to mind a certain classic Alexander I heard of a little while ago... which had been retrofitted with an inferior set of Chinese linkages. It was a real head scratcher to hear that such an extremely high quality instrument was quick-fixed with a low-quality part.
One that was recently for sale at Baltimore Brass?
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

The action may be fine after the springs are tree built. Dan Schultz did my (since sold) F helicon and they were amazing afterwards. Not expensive either.
sugawi
3 valves
3 valves

Post by sugawi »

Thank you for all advice. Even if I would go the least expensive route I would definitely try to fix current mechanism instead of throwing anything Chinese at it.

Previous owner was able to use it as is and he was so much better player than me. He was even playing this tuba in movie sets ("Enchanted", "Another You").

I have time to decide what to do since everyone seems busy with repairs for school season.

Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

Great picture of the clocksprings and the adjusters! Thanks.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
MusicSmiths
bugler
bugler

Post by MusicSmiths »

The lyre holder reminds me of the tuba discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78712&p=623492&hili ... an#p623492" target="_blank
Unfortunately most of the pictures are now missing... But my memory - such as it is - remembers seeing that lyre holder on that tuba.
David Smith
Wessex BBb Grand (5 valve)
Wessex Festivo