Found this in my case, what is it?

The bulk of the musical talk
Mtrhed
bugler
bugler

Found this in my case, what is it?

Post by Mtrhed »

Hi everyone,
I've been helping out a friend by playing in my local Salvation Army band. To make things easy I've been using an S/A horn that's kept on-site for practices and performances so I don't have to schlep mine back and forth. The horn is a York "Presence" model (3409 or 3904?). This horn has hardly been played since the center opened more then a decade ago. When putting the horn back in its case tonight I spotted the item in the attached photo in the back of the mouthpiece compartment of the case
image.jpg
I've never seen one of these and neither has anyone in the group I'm playing with. The spacing of the holes is about right to match the stem placement on the three upright valves and there is some kind of spring loaded tab in the middle hole. The thing is capped on both ends and it has a nice silver finish to match the horn so I'd guess this wasn't meant to just lock the valves down for shipping plus the the finger buttons couldn't fit into the holes. Can anyone tell me what this is for?
This is the first time I've tried attchimg a photo here so I hope it works. Thanks for any guidence you may have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mtrhed
Keizer,OR
1912-14 Martin BB 6/4 rotary valve top-action
Conn BB 21J -F/A 4+1 conversion "Conn-Zilla"
2014 Wessex "Mighty Midget"
1918 York BB Model #33
King BB 1241 w/both bells
Caravelle B Commuter
Bruscher B Helicon
tokuno
3 valves
3 valves

water catcher Re: Found this in my case, what is it?

Post by tokuno »

You're right about the spacing, but it's for the bottom of the valve casing. It slips over the nubs on the bottom caps to catch drips before they land on you.
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Found this in my case, what is it?

Post by sousaphone68 »

Its a grime gutter I had one thinking it would help preserve the finish on my tuba.
Two things wrong with it.
1. If the absorbant pad is missing and you place the tuba down on its bell when finished you get a deluge that in my case brown spotted my bell.
2. With the absorbant pad in place it swells to the point were it will seal the bottom of the valve case slowing the valve.

I now use an old tube sock cut down with a cloth stuffed inside.
Cant carry a tune but I can carry a tuba.
Mtrhed
bugler
bugler

Post by Mtrhed »

Cool, I'll check the fit at our next practice. I don't think I'll need it though. Odd thing about this horn, In all the time I've played it I've never had a drop of water come out of the horn. I can usually create a puddle the size of Lake Michigan in no time but this horn is dry as a bone. Thank you for the advise.
Mtrhed
Keizer,OR
1912-14 Martin BB 6/4 rotary valve top-action
Conn BB 21J -F/A 4+1 conversion "Conn-Zilla"
2014 Wessex "Mighty Midget"
1918 York BB Model #33
King BB 1241 w/both bells
Caravelle B Commuter
Bruscher B Helicon
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Post by Matt Walters »

A cheap and readily available cotton product to put int he spit catchers is kerosene Lantern Wick.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Just put some adsorbent cotton wood in ends (not under the holes) and that will adsorb the moisture. That is what I use on my Eb tuba and never have any problems with drips, or blocking bottom of valves.
dwerden
pro musician
pro musician

Post by dwerden »

Not all of these devices have a wick. My own, from Adams, does not, and the ones I have owned (or made) have not. I just need to remember to empty it after my practice or performance.

There is usually a long end and a short end, once you have it in place. The long end should be on the 3rd valve side so if you tip the horn 90 degrees to rest, the long end will catch the water (more capacity that way).
Dave Werden (ASCAP)
www.dwerden.com
Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba
YouTube, Twitter, Facebook
PCPettit
lurker
lurker

Post by PCPettit »

Hello - I've been trying to reply to the messages that you sent me about the Marzan BBb that I am trying to sell, but apparently, they have not gotten through to you. Please contact me at PCPettit@gmail.com" target="_blank. The tuba is still available and does have both a hard case and soft case. I've posted some higher resolution pics on Flickr. But I'll happily email them to you as well.

Thanks much,

Pete Pettit
Teubonium
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Teubonium »

dwerden wrote:Not all of these devices have a wick. My own, from Adams, does not, and the ones I have owned (or made) have not. I just need to remember to empty it after my practice or performance.

There is usually a long end and a short end, once you have it in place. The long end should be on the 3rd valve side so if you tip the horn 90 degrees to rest, the long end will catch the water (more capacity that way).
Yes. My Besson 967 came with a grime gutter with NO "tampon" inside. I make a habit of emptying all tuning slide and the grime gutter after practice, rehearsals, and concerts.
Bach Strad 36BO Sakbutt
Besson 967 Euph
MW2141 Eb
Kanstul 33s BBb