6/4 Martin For Sale

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
jmagnew3
lurker
lurker

6/4 Martin For Sale

Post by jmagnew3 »

The search engines will be another month indexing this site but serious interest should be able to copy and paste or follow this link.
Joseph Agnew
http://jmagnew3.wix.com/martin-tuba-for ... ef=Default" target="_blank
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: 6/4 Martin For Sale

Post by bort »

jmagnew3 wrote:The search engines will be another month indexing this site but serious interest should be able to copy and paste or follow this link.
Joseph Agnew
http://jmagnew3.wix.com/martin-tuba-for ... ef=Default" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
I have no idea what this means. Is this a virus link like those "UK Kitchens!" posts?
jmagnew3
lurker
lurker

Post by jmagnew3 »

don't know anything about UK Kitchens this is a link to a site I built for the sole purpose of displaying a tuba that I have for sale. There are also some videos of me playing the tuba on Youtube if you would like to hear it.
Joseph Agnew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpmSyLtYKIo" target="_blank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCC5e_2 ... rvygxrwpds" target="_blank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AR5LEA_Ytg" target="_blank
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Sorry, disregard my previous message (new user, message that didn't make sense [to me!], and a questionable link). There are spam posts here from time to time, and this looked like one of those [to me!].

What a great looking tuba! It looks like a giganto-enormous Meinl Weston 32.

Is the sound purely "American," or does the rotary valve set have any effect on the sound to make it more Germanic?
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

My first thought was a Yammy 661 on steriods. Truly unique tuba.

Thanks for the youtubes.
jmagnew3
lurker
lurker

Post by jmagnew3 »

a visit to the site I built for it really tells the story.
JMA
jmagnew3
lurker
lurker

Post by jmagnew3 »

I am the only person that has done any thing to this tuba. Joseph Agnew
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

Great looking tuba and great work, jmagnew3. This is especially interesting because you rescued an historic instrument and made it a player. I know you are sorry to sell it but the new owner will appreciate it for years to come.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
jmagnew3
lurker
lurker

Post by jmagnew3 »

Great way of looking at it! Alex C In fact I am less sorry to sell it than I am happy for it to get played more often. I am blessed to have moved on to more specialized playing and just don't use it like a tuba of this calibur should be used.
My work horse these days is my 3/4 York CC that I built with Bob Rusk rip. He and I used to talk about his 6/4 York sitting in the corner in Mishawaka and I don't want this Martin to have that same fate. The good news is that the guys talking to me about it are in Orchestra positions where it will be most at home.
JMA
bigbob
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigbob »

What are you asking for this beautiful instrument??....thanks....BB
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

bigbob wrote:What are you asking for this beautiful instrument??....thanks....BB
The website the OP made and linked lists it at $15,000.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

The OP kindly let me play his 6/4 Martin CC for a session of private practice and for a rehearsal of Tchaikovsky 2.

It has a great sound and is very easy to play.

The C two ledger lines below the staff down to the G below that really rumbles.

Intonation is excellent. Even the 5th partial E and the half steps below it do not require alternate fingerings.

Notes speak exactly as you hear them in your head. In the 4th movement of Tchaik 2, for example, the C above the staff and the notes descending below that pitch pop right out.

The tuba feels great to hold--like a "teddy bear." The size for a 6/4 tuba is certainly compact--it's the only 6/4 tuba that I've been able to fit in the trunk of my Nissan Sentra (the 6/4 Neptune does not; the 4/4 Nirschl does).

The amount of sound that the tuba puts out, regardless of the mouthpiece, is significant. Yet it can be very much under control in any size ensemble.

The Martin bell's proximity made the sound very gratifying to my ear. Because of that, it may offer less of an idea of what the sound is out in the hall; that's where it really matters.

When I took the Martin to orchestra rehearsal, I intentionally said nothing to my low brass colleagues. When I asked the trombones what they thought about the sound of the tuba, their comments were quite positive.

If you're considering this horn, you won't be disappointed at its sound and playability.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Is this entirely an American (York/Martin) kind of sound, or do the rotary valves affect the sound at all? I'm always curious how these hybrid tubas play and sound. As in, whether they play/sound like American or German style tubas.
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

bort wrote:Is this entirely an American (York/Martin) kind of sound, or do the rotary valves affect the sound at all? I'm always curious how these hybrid tubas play and sound. As in, whether they play/sound like American or German style tubas.

bort, the OP provided a good answer to your question in his website about this tuba:
Gene Pokorny included this tuba in the Orchestra Hall sound trials for the Yamaha 6/4 York copy that was in development in 2003. At those trials I and some other York experts compared this Martin and the CSO York to the new Yamaha that was at that time in the development stage.
One definition of larger (6/4) German tubas can be (but not always) that they have the tall bell/"Kaiser-type" appearance and sound. I would not characterize the sound or appearance of this Martin tuba in that fashion, despite its rotary valves. Look at the appearance of the bugle and project an image of sound in your mind--or consult the OP's description:
This instrument in its original state had four metric rotary valves that had been attached to an American made CC 'bugle'...This tuba was not cut to the key of CC.
Steve Marcus
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Right, and I read his Web site. I was just curious what YOUR impressions on it were.

I have long wanted an American-made rotary CC tuba, and preferably one from the modern era (think one of those King rotary CC tubas, but made with the benefit of modern engineering). I'm certain that this tuba is NOT what I want, but I am curious about is what difference the valve type makes on a bugle like this. That is, if you slapped a piston valve set onto this horn, would it make any difference in the sound? I'm guessing not.

I also think that rotors are off-putting to some players who prefer pistons. So if the rotors really make no difference on this tuba, that could be a good thing for some people.
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

bort wrote:I am curious about is what difference the valve type makes on a bugle like this. That is, if you slapped a piston valve set onto this horn, would it make any difference in the sound? I'm guessing not.
I agree with you. The sound characteristics are, IMHO, much more the result of the bugle and its smooth interaction with the balance of the horn.
Steve Marcus
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
ScottBass55
bugler
bugler

Post by ScottBass55 »

As one of Mr. Angew's former students, I can personally say that this horn sounds like a dream. I had the chance to try to buy it off of him years ago, and as a stupid kid, I didn't take the chance. It's a beautiful instrument with a big bright, warm tone, and it deserves a good home. It's got the Gold Dollars on the rotors and just feels great and comfortable to play. It's an amazing buy for whoever wants an insanely good instrument.
jonesbrass
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jonesbrass »

Beautiful tuba!
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, 1922 Conn 86I
Gone but not forgotten:
Cerveny 681, Musica-Steyr F, Miraphone 188, Melton 45, Conn 2J, B&M 5520S CC, Shires Bass Trombone, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX, St. Petersburg 202N
jmagnew3
lurker
lurker

Post by jmagnew3 »

The Martin is still for sale.
New price is at the web site.
http://jmagnew3.wix.com/martin-tuba-for-sale" target="_blank
jmagnew3
lurker
lurker