British Eb Bass Choice

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
AnorakHorn
bugler
bugler

British Eb Bass Choice

Post by AnorakHorn »

Hiya

I am currently preparing to get hold of my own Eb bass. I want a 3+1 layout, as I play in brass bands mainly but also occasionally play other ensembles (pits, symphony orchestras and quintets)

I currently play on a early 90's Besson 982 (supplied by my band), however I don't want to get another big bell besson.

I have narrowed it down to two I want to try.

Besson 980
Yamaha YEB-632

I am erring on the side of the 980 as it has the 17" bell which I like the idea of more than the 19", as my solo work tends to take me higher. However I haven't heard enough about the YEB-632 to rule it out and won't get to play it until the nationals in SA this year.

Please feel free to offer other suggestions as well.

Cheers
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Re: British Eb Bass Choice

Post by Peach »

I think Besson consistency is currently very good but I'd expect examples of say, the 982, to vary over the years at least as much as any variety you find comparing them to a 980.
Peach
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Don't forget to consider the Wessex TE460 Solo Eb which has 16¾" bell before deciding. Having beautiful tone and spot on intonation - and now with hardened gold brass bell, large valve buttons and improved finish - an increasing number of people are finding this is just the Eb they require.
http://www.wessex-tubas.co.uk/eeb-solo/

Wessex, Australia will have in stock from June, or we can supply from UK next month.
http://www.wessexbrass.com.au
AnorakHorn
bugler
bugler

Post by AnorakHorn »

Cheers guys.

Neptune, I was just having a look at the Wessex range. Does the TE460 have a floating leadpipe like it's TE560 sibling? That's something I haven't seen on an Eb a apart from on the Geneva Symphony. It looks like it could be all I need.
J. Handley
Eb Tuba
Melbourne, Australia
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

Imperials sound fantastic. In my listening experience the 19" bell family of tubas work fine but they're "just there".
AnorakHorn
bugler
bugler

Post by AnorakHorn »

TheGoyWonder wrote:Imperials sound fantastic. In my listening experience the 19" bell family of tubas work fine but they're "just there".
I occasionally play an Imperial (when marching and when my tuba has been getting serviced). I do like them, however it the ones I have been offered don't have the best valves, which is a tad sad.

My problem with the 19" bell basses is they sound a little woolly. I like the idea of having a clearer sound; and not struggling with the 19" bell in the boot of my car!
J. Handley
Eb Tuba
Melbourne, Australia
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

AnorakHorn wrote:
Neptune, I was just having a look at the Wessex range. Does the TE460 have a floating leadpipe like it's TE560 sibling? That's something I haven't seen on an Eb a apart from on the Geneva Symphony. It looks like it could be all I need.
Yes, the TE460 has the floating leadpipe. In fact we originally decided to apply the floating leadpipe after getting couple Solo without the leadpipe soldered to the bell responding better than others.

The TE460 is my personal favourite Eb - I like the clearer tone of the smaller bell.
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

Are you in the U.S. or Britain?
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
AnorakHorn
bugler
bugler

Post by AnorakHorn »

Well I will definitely have to have a blow when they come to the Australian supplier. I've heard good things about the Geneva, having a real ring to its sound, so with the small bell that sounds excellent. I appreciate the help!

I'm in Australia eupho. Victoria to be precise. One downside of living here is the lack of access to many horns.
J. Handley
Eb Tuba
Melbourne, Australia
tubalux
bugler
bugler

Post by tubalux »

Hi Bendiago

Box Hill Band / Matt vE have or had 2 of the old-ish 15 inch bell / 4 valve Eb Imperial tubas they were trying to sell last year.

They might still be for sale? Bonus points for being able to try before you buy.
ghmerrill
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ghmerrill »

AnorakHorn wrote:My problem with the 19" bell basses is they sound a little woolly. I like the idea of having a clearer sound; and not struggling with the 19" bell in the boot of my car!
The woolliness may be changed with a different mouthpiece. If I use my Wick 2XL, it's a little woolly, I suppose. I always took that to be the "British sound" :roll: . With the Miraphone TU17 I mostly use now, it isn't woolly and seems to slot considerably better.

I do think the smaller bell may be an excellent choice. I've been having these fantasies lately about replaceable 17" upright and front-pointing bells.
Gary Merrill

Wessex EEb tuba (Wick 3XL)
Amati oval euph (DE LN106J6Es)
Mack Brass euph (DE LN106J9)
Buescher 1924 Eb, std rcvr, Kelly 25
Schiller bass trombone (DE LB/J/J9/Lexan 110, Brass Ark MV50R)
Olds '47 Standard trombone (mod. Kelly 12c)
AnorakHorn
bugler
bugler

Post by AnorakHorn »

bloke wrote:Keep your eyes open for an old Yamaha YEB-631.
I shall have one eye out, although I have only ever seen one!
tubalux wrote:Box Hill Band / Matt vE have or had 2 of the old-ish 15 inch bell / 4 valve Eb Imperial tubas they were trying to sell last year.
I don't mind the 15" bell imperials, however they aren't exactly what I am after. I shall keep it in mind though.
ghmerrill wrote:The woolliness may be changed with a different mouthpiece. If I use my Wick 2XL, it's a little woolly, I suppose. I always took that to be the "British sound" :roll: . With the Miraphone TU17 I mostly use now, it isn't woolly and seems to slot considerably better.

I do think the smaller bell may be an excellent choice. I've been having these fantasies lately about replaceable 17" upright and front-pointing bells.
I get what you are saying about the British sound of the 19" bells. I like the idea of the Eb bass being the bridge between the Euphoniums and the Bb basses. I try to play so that there is a little more crispness to the bass part, which is sometimes hard on the big bell horns, despite my slightly smaller mouthpiece. I play on a Denis Wick 3L (with the new heritage design).
Mentioning a replaceable bell bass, there was an Eb imperial on eBay a little while ago that had that, although I think it was a 19" version. it was an interesting thing.
J. Handley
Eb Tuba
Melbourne, Australia
Rebel
bugler
bugler

Post by Rebel »

I would recommend the Yamaha YEB-631 as well, it is the "baby sister" to my BBb. As I recall, a smaller bell than the 632 also.
Good luck.
1990 Yamaha YBB-631 4/4 BBb Compensating Tuba
1995 Yamaha YEP-201 Euphonium
Conn 605 Trombone
Fretted and Fretless 5 String Electric Bass