Harrison Wedge Tuba Mouthpiece

The bulk of the musical talk
Ben
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Harrison Wedge Tuba Mouthpiece

Post by Ben »

FWIW: I have sent Dr. Dave three mouthpieces for modification. An Alex C4ish mouthpiece, Alex med-large bowl shaped, and Alex Helleberg shaped piece - with shank sizes ranging from .530 to .580. Dr. Harrison has been great to work with, accommodating unusual shank size and willing to expedite the process. If you would like to have a piece modified, and can't wait for the new line, Dr. Dave can accommodate. I suspect the new pieces will be fantastic.

(I agree with Mr. Kniffen's and Mr. Hardisk's assessments - this is a great innovation)
Ben Vokits
NYC/Philly area Freelancer
Nautilus Brass Quintet
Alex 164C, 163C, 155F; HB1P
mclaugh
bugler
bugler

Post by mclaugh »

cktuba wrote:I am glad he is making other models... But nothing on there really catches my eye. What I would love to see is a PT-50 with a Wedge H2 rim. That would definitely make me let go of some of my current stock to round up some money to buy one.
Did you miss the post upthread:
DrDave wrote:I can modify the rim of any mouthpiece by scanning it and machining the rim to have a Wedge contour. I can do this with a screw rim mouthpiece, but it is best to send the entire mouthpiece so that the underpart can be used to secure the mouthpiece in the CNC mill. Otherwise I have to machine a custom mandril to hold the rim. Only the rim is altered.

Cheers,
Dave
Sasha Johnson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Sasha Johnson »

As promised, I wanted to report back about my impressions of the Wedge new models. At this point I have extensively used the new Geib model on my PT6, as well as both the Solo and 7B on my B&S F.

Like the H2, the word I would use first to describe all these mouthpieces would be center. Somehow the design of the Wedge rim allows for a more immediate response, right in the center or core of the sound. Where this is most evident, and in my opinion, hugely beneficial, is in the more problematic range of the German style F tuba (like my B&S), in the lower mid-range, starting around low C. Having a more immediate center in that range on an F tuba just makes everything easier all the time.

The same is true for the 7B, which is a larger F/E-flat or smaller CC tuba design. Like the other models, it basically retains the fundamental qualities of the original smaller Conn-Helleberg/Cooley Helleberg design, but with faster response and center. I have used it more on my F, comparing it to my Cooley Helleberg.

The Geib model is actually somewhat larger in cup than the older Schilke Geib, making it closer to that of a PT 88. I have been comparing it with the mouthpieces I've most often used with this horn, the PT88 and the Schilke Helleberg II. Like the other Wedge models the center of this on the big rotary horn is phenomenal. In particular, the low register, starting from about F# down, just pops out consistently and centered in a way that I have to work much harder to achieve on the other mouthpieces. Like the H2, the Geib allows for extremely easy transition between the registers.

Players who prefer a more diffuse or covered sound, or those who prefer much larger inner dimensions or heavy weight mouthpieces will probably not like the Wedge designs. I have found overall that the Wedge design allows for much greater control and response and facilitates a centered, brighter sound on all my equipment.

As an aside, and as I will likely not post on this subject again on this forum, I should also note that other than working with Dave Harrison to create this new line, I have no financial connection or involvement his company, and while I'm excited to have helped him with these mouthpieces and endorse them, I have nothing to gain in their sale.

Anyone near Montreal or Toronto wishing to try any of these models should let me know by email and I 'd be happy to set up a trial.

Sasha Johnson
Tuba-G Bass
bugler
bugler

Post by Tuba-G Bass »

After the reading how other folks were having
amazing results with the Harrison mouthpieces,
I ordered a H2 Plastic Tuba Mouthpiece.
Wow, for me it's a godsend!
I find my high notes are much more stable, jumping
Octaves is so much easier too. I tried it out tonight at Brass Quintet rehearsal, the Bach chorales sounded great,
the others players remarked how it helped
Make the low notes speak, I can't wait to try it at band and orchestra the next two nights.
I know what I'm spending my tax refund on!! :mrgreen: :tuba:
Cheers,
Paul Lewis
Community/Church Musician
DrDave
bugler
bugler

Post by DrDave »

Sasha has now signed off on the final silver plated versions of the Wedge SG and 7B models. Both are now available for purchase on the Wedge website in brass and plastic models. The plastic models are nice for those who prefer a darker sound. We are making one last adjustment to the Solo, which will actually be introduced as Sasha'a signature mouthpiece, the SJ Solo. Playing characteristics changed just slightly with the silver plated model so I am tweaking it to compensate for that. The silver does make the bite radius slightly larger and takes away from cup volume, critical factors in the smaller solo mouthpiece.

Euro shank prototypes of the H2 and SG will be done this week and will be released soon after play testing, so stay tuned.
Dave Harrison (Dr Dave)
http://www.wedgemouthpiece.com" target="_blank
drdave@wedgemouthpiece.com" target="_blank
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

This link: "We now offer the Wedge H2," on this page: http://www.wedgemouthpiece.com/catalogue/index.html" target="_blank is broken. It can be made to work by removing the spaces on either side of the hyphen.

In other words, the URL as it stands is http://www.wedgemouthpiecestore.com/pro ... -%20h2.htm.

It will work if you change it to this: http://www.wedgemouthpiecestore.com/product_p/ta-h2.htm .
DrDave
bugler
bugler

Post by DrDave »

Thanks for the heads up. I have updated the page and the link.

Cheers,
Dave
Dave Harrison (Dr Dave)
DrDave
bugler
bugler

Post by DrDave »

Someone has asked if there will be a special price offered on Wedge mouthpieces again soon. The Tubenet offer was a special discount $50 as the mouthpieces were being introduced. It originally ran for about two weeks and was then extended. However, that offer has expired and we are back to our regular prices with no plans for a special offer in the near future.

Cheers,
Dave
Dave Harrison (Dr Dave)
Kory101
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Kory101 »

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share my experiences with these mouthpieces.

I've spent the better part of the day playing the new Geib and Solo Model that Sasha and Dr. Dave have come up with.

First, The Geib:

This mouthpiece gives me immediate sound and centre ALL over the horn. This is most evident for me in the mid to low range. Right around G below the staff, this mouthpiece really opens up my PT6. Switching between registers is easier on the Wedge than any other mouthpiece I've ever used. Just immediate sound and centre.

I was using my Laskey 30G as a comparison mouthpiece and after going back and forth, the Wedge came out every time in several blind tests with my friends and colleagues.

Second, The Solo:

This is a wonderful mouthpiece. From the first few seconds of plugging it into my PT-15, it was obvious that there is something to this Wedge design. The most apparent thing is the what I've been saying. Immediate sound and centre. Without sacraficing sound or articuation, this mouthpiece is super easy to play and gives me that immediate sound and centre. Again, in blind tests, this mouthpiece won over my Bobo solo and PT-62.

To sum up:

These mouthpieces offer something I've never found in a mouthpiece; the ease of getting an immediate core and sound with minimal effort. When I switched back to my Laskey and Bobo, I could tell I was working much harder than with the Wedge mouthpieces.

In short, try them. They are great. Hats of to Sasha and Dr. Dave for creating some truly amazing mouthpieces.

Cheers,
KM
Ben
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ben »

Kory101 wrote:To sum up:

These mouthpieces offer something I've never found in a mouthpiece; the ease of getting an immediate core and sound with minimal effort. When I switched back to my Laskey and Bobo, I could tell I was working much harder than with the Wedge mouthpieces.

In short, try them. They are great. Hats of to Sasha and Dr. Dave for creating some truly amazing mouthpieces.
:D

All three of my personal MP's that were modified by Dr. Dave are FANTASTIC!!! I am happy that Kory, John, & Tony also have had good experiences with these pieces.

Ben "thinking I need to try out that Geib" Vokits
Ben Vokits
Nautilus Brass Quintet
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Ben, did you only have your Alex mpc's adapted, or do you have any of the "stock" Wedge pieces as well?

Personally, I spent a lot of time playing the mouthpiece game last year, and have been sort of one-and-done since getting my Miraphone 188. Now that I know the tuba pretty well, maybe it's time to start experimenting again!
Ben
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ben »

I have the stock Harrison W2, and three Alex derived MP's that are not wedge. Come and check them out.

"tempted to modify a rim for some bloke's pieces, and test out the new Harrison pieces"
Ben Vokits
Nautilus Brass Quintet
DrDave
bugler
bugler

Post by DrDave »

It is true that a narrow rim will improve flexibility. However, a narrow rim does not have the effect of reducing pressure at the corners, thereby improving circulation and endurance for most players. A narrow rim is for many players is less comfortable than a wider rim, and less comfortable than a Wedge rim, which is wider at 12:00 and 6:00, the points to which pressure is transferred from the sides. The Wedge provides the advantage of the narrower rim without the reduced comfort experienced by some players on narrower rims. This comfort issue could be why few manufacturers produce a really narrow tuba rim despite the better flexibility.

Of course, no design is right for everyone. Some players will find that the Wedge confers no advantage over a conventional or narrow rim. Our experience in trumpet and trombone mouthpieces is that about 10% of players fall into that category. It is too early to tell yet if the same will hold true for the tuba line.

Cheers,
Dave
Dave Harrison (Dr Dave)
Kory101
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Kory101 »

Hello again,

I don't want to sound like a broken record here but I wanted to give an update on these mouthpieces.

I've spent some more time on the Wedge Geib mouthpiece on my PT6. This mouthpiece is exactly what I've been searching for. This mouthpiece helps achieve a clear, centered sound with minimal effort. Playing it back to back with my Laskey Geib and PT88 there is simply no comparison.

Your mileage may vary.

-KM
DrDave
bugler
bugler

Post by DrDave »

We are now offering the Wedge H2 and SG tuba mouthpieces with the larger European shank. The lead time on these mouthpieces is usually only a few days. We also have introduced the option to have the rim and cup gold plated while leaving the outside silver. Full gold plated models are also available, but because the gold scratches so easily they do not have the usual 2 week return option like the silver and gold rim models.
Dave Harrison (Dr Dave)
cle_tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by cle_tuba »

Hello everybody!
I did the work of Edge Wedge on my Yamaha mouthpiece - Jim Self.
The mouthpiece was just wonderful!!
Was it worth it ...
Cleverson Zavatto
Tubist
KevinMadden
3 valves
3 valves

Post by KevinMadden »

Pulling up and old thread but:

I got the H2 earlier this week and absolutely LOVE IT. As many here have already said, my articulations are cleaner, the sound is more centered, I have more consistency, and lip flexibility type exercises are significantly easier. I'll be ordering the 7B for my Eb and a 6 1/2 AL for my bone shortly!
Ithaca College, B.M. 2009
University of Nebraska - Lincoln, M.M. 2017, D.M.A. 2020
Wessex Artiste
Wessex "Grand" BBb, Wessex Solo Eb, Wessex Dulce
Ben
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ben »

FWIW: Nearly two years later, and I am still using Wedge MP's. I've migrated away from some of my customized Alex pieces ( still use a custom on the 164). I mainly use the SG for my 163. I use a SJ solo with an SG rim to great effect on my smallest C and my F (Dr. Dave was kind enough to indulge my craziness and manifest my request).
KevinMadden wrote:absolutely LOVE IT
I feel the same.
Ben Vokits
Nautilus Brass Quintet
Cthuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Cthuba »

I know I am necromancing, but this idea intrigued me. How many people are still using these mouthpieces?
Gnagey 4/4

That which is dead can eternal lie and with many strange aeons even tubas will fly
-A Misquote from HP Lovecraft.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

I use my SJ Solo for quintet and solo work. I bought it for a Wessex Bubbie I no longer have, but I have been using it on my other Eb horns and find it great for most uses.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5