WTB Decent BBb 4-Valve Tuba

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
Heavymetalbandmama
lurker
lurker

WTB Decent BBb 4-Valve Tuba

Post by Heavymetalbandmama »

New to the boards, but have been lurking for a while in search of a tuba.

My HS son is determined to play in the Ohio State Marching band and has started to really focus his efforts on this goal. He is in need of a 4/4 BBb 4-valve tuba with an upright bell. He is interested in Miraphone, Yamaha, King, Conn - anything with a decent sound. Would prefer to stay away from Chinese/Asian imports. Dings and scratches are ok, so long as the sound and performance are not compromised. Hoping to stay under $3K

We seem to be just missing out on ebay and CL sales. If you have something to sell, or see something decent, please PM me. We'd appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: WTB Decent BBb 4-Valve Tuba

Post by Ken Crawford »

If his goal is to play in the Ohio state marching band maybe a sousaphone would be a better choice.
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69625" target="_blank" Decent looking Miraphone.
Last edited by edsel585960 on Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

kmorgancraw wrote:If his goal is to play in the Ohio state marching band maybe a sousaphone would be a better choice.
I was thinking along the same lines but the try outs for scales and musicianship are probably on a tuba.

Major in STEM, minor in Marching Band.

That's sound advice!!

I was a walk-on at Delaware so I didn't have to worry about such things...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Heavymetalbandmama
lurker
lurker

edsel585960 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69625" target="_blank" target="_blank Decent looking Miraphone.
Thanks! This is one his teacher likes. We will be checking into it! I never thought buying a tuba could be so complicated. Surprise, surprise.

As far as tuba vs. sousa, he's hoping to make the all-state band. We've been told that Sousa (and recording bells) are not welcomed at all-state :wink:

Thanks, too, for the advice on not majoring in music. I could buy a new horn if I had a dollar for every time I heard this. Fortunately, at this time he's got other career plans and music is going to be a big hobby.

I appreciate all the responses!
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

lost wrote:Can't go wrong with an olds 99! :tuba:
It is true! The O-99's have big sound for their size. http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/msg/5494734825.html" target="_blank" This is one of my horns. It is as close to new as you can get and plays great. Have him major in metalworking then he can repair his own horn. :)
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
Heavymetalbandmama
lurker
lurker

edsel585960 wrote:
lost wrote:Can't go wrong with an olds 99! :tuba:
Have him major in metalworking then he can repair his own horn. :)
Funniest.thing.ever! :lol:
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

/quote]As far as tuba vs. sousa, he's hoping to make the all-state band. We've been told that Sousa (and recording bells) are not welcomed at all-state :wink: /quote] Buckeye fascists! :)
Conn 20-21 J
nobody
bugler
bugler

Post by nobody »

Heavymetalbandmama wrote:Thanks! This is one his teacher likes. We will be checking into it! I never thought buying a tuba could be so complicated. Surprise, surprise.
You ain't seen nuthin' yet.
More than 1 tuba.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The best way to have a long life is to try not to shorten it.
My name is Nobody.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

I have a couple of tubas that might work for your son:

http://galvanizedjazz.com/tuba/4sale/TubasForSale.html" target="_blank

-Art-
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

Art Hovey wrote:I have a couple of tubas that might work for your son:

http://galvanizedjazz.com/tuba/4sale/TubasForSale.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

-Art-
The Meinl Weston would be a good horn for the money. They are built like tanks. Good sound too.
Conn 20-21 J
Tuba5547
lurker
lurker

Post by Tuba5547 »

I have a BBb 4 valve Amati, full size tuba for sale. Has slight dings & dents, but has a great sound. Played it for 16 years, and recently bought a new Tuba. Please email me at Barlow59@mac.com" target="_blank" target="_blank. I am asking $1500.00 for it. It comes with a nice "Gig Bag", and a Bach 24AW mouth piece. I I've in Bradenton, Fl. 4th Valve stem cap has pearl missing, but I will have this replaced.
Last edited by Tuba5547 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Art Hovey wrote:I have a couple of tubas that might work for your son:

http://galvanizedjazz.com/tuba/4sale/TubasForSale.html" target="_blank"
The "German 186/25" ala Art looks like a pretty good value.