Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Post by Wyvern »

Mark, If new parts are made, then they are available to existing customers to purchase.

However I am not aware of updating stop arm, because loose fit is not a problem we have previously come across and I have played Mahler rotary CC tubas a lot and I know Andy regularly plays both Prague and Luzern. I will check on some rotary tubas in stock. Maybe a faulty component on just your tuba? In which case I will send you replacement part (with screw) under warranty.

If I find others with problem, then that is added to my list of areas to get sorted and to pay special attention in checking.
Chasetbr
bugler
bugler

Post by Chasetbr »

I would love to see a valved bass trombone be made. I could see it as 1, a large shank 3 valve "slide" to go onto the existing bass trombone bell and dual rotary valve section. Or 2, just create a more traditional valve trombone but with four valves made to take a large shank mouthpiece with a larger bell. Thank you for the consideration and I would really love to see this!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

58mark wrote:Two of the four are a really loose fit. I'll show you in an email
Two out of four rather indicates faulty component. If it was incorrect tolerances, then would apply to all. But still area that needs special quality assurance. It is something the person assembling should spot and reject faulty component before it is added to tuba.
Conn 2J CC
bugler
bugler

Post by Conn 2J CC »

Jonathan - Thank you for your company's contributions to today's low brass instrument market, especially. This may be getting really picky, but I wonder if there would be a significant market for an F Contrabass Trombone with specifications close to the following -

1. Key of F, with inline Db (lower lever) and C (thumb lever) rotary valves. Obviously, this would be an F/Db/C/A Contra that's a perfect fourth lower than the standard Bb double-valve Bass Trombones marketed today (Bb/Gb/F/D). Many Trombonists might find adapting from a Bb Bass Bone to an F Contra like this to be more to their liking.

2. Dual bore 15.6 mm (.615") to 16.13 mm (.635") hand slide. I took these bore sizes from the larger side of your BBb Contrabass Trombone's slide, and the bore of a Mirafone BBb Contrabass Trombone slide, respectively.

3. C valve bore size - 16.66 mm (.656") and Db valve bore size - 17.49 mm (.687"). Both are clearly very common bore sizes for Tuba valves, and hopefully logical bore size increases from the dual bore slide suggestions.

Hopefully such specifications (15.6/16.13/16.66/17.49 mm = .615/.635/.656/.687") would create an F Contrabass Trombone that would sound distinctly larger than a Bb Bass Trombone, without sounding tubby or un-Trombone-like. On the other hand, I may also be proving that I should just sit down and enjoy what the rest of you are discussing, because I really don't understand instrument design at all. I just thought I'd put this out here for consideration. Thank you for your time.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Neptune wrote:
58mark wrote:Two of the four are a really loose fit. I'll show you in an email
Two out of four rather indicates faulty component. If it was incorrect tolerances, then would apply to all. But still area that needs special quality assurance. It is something the person assembling should spot and reject faulty component before it is added to tuba.
Jonathan... sorry to chime in here but I've seen the video of the stop arms on Mark's horn and the problem is EXACTLY like I've seen on many of the rotary tubas. The fit of the stop arms to the rotors is simply not acceptable and needs to be fixed. Some of these stop arms fit so badly that they have to be 'squished' in a vice to make them fit in just one direction. I've also had to peen the tops of the stop arms to make them smaller in order to fit tightly on the rotor axle. This problem is not an isolated issue and appears on almost ALL of the Chinese horns. I'm not just picking on WESSEX but if you truly want to make your horns better... bring a couple of them to my shop. You and I will take each one apart and I'll show you first-hand what needs to be done to make them acceptable.

I had to use A LOT more force to get the rear bearing plates out of a travel tuba a while back. Much more force than I was really comfortable with. This was a new horn. Not one that had been in use for a while.

There's A LOT more to a tuba than how it sounds or how bright and shiny it is.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Now I am aware of this potential issue, we will check and I will guarantee not a single tuba will be shipped from Wessex with loose rotor arm.

I will get factory to address during my forthcoming visit.

Now please get back to the subject of this thread "what would you like?"
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Neptune wrote: Now please get back to the subject of this thread "what would you like?"
Any reaction to the requests to sell valve sets? I seem to remember folks asking in the past (not just from you, but from other vendors as well) and being told "No, we can't do that". As I wrote earlier, it sounded like some weird factory-imposed embargo.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

There is no factory embargo. It is our business decision for logistical reasons. Managing stock of such parts is more difficult than complete instruments and shipping valve sets are very liable to damage from my experience.

I will give some thought!
Cthuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Cthuba »

I also would to see a gnagey 6/4 tuba as well
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Copy of the old rotary Kings (similar to MW Bill Bell models) including the removable bell, with "modern" intonation.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Copy an old B&S Symphonie F tuba....of course, not hand made, but have a garland on it, 6 valves, and a choice of all yellow brass or all gold brass...that, I HO, would sell...
modelerdc
bugler
bugler

Post by modelerdc »

Front action compenstating F, E flat, and CC
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

Post by Heliconer »

EEb Sonorophone. Please and thank you.
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

Post by Heliconer »

Perhaps with a more modern bell ;)
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

I have never seen one like that. Do you have a picture with someone holding for size?
guillaumedu
bugler
bugler

Post by guillaumedu »

Bass trombone with bigger valve like haagman linberg
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

I'd like a Helicon in Eb - 4v or better 5v - something like the Cerveny with a bell around 44 cm. Would be great for marching and street concerts, and has a more crisp sound than an Eb sousaphone.

But before that I'll buy a F contrabass trombone ... always wanted such a beast. Marc
phaymore
bugler
bugler

Post by phaymore »

I'm thinking a copy of a Boosey Cavalry tuba would be awesome! Eb, compensating, front valves, BUT left hand fourth valve. To me, it's the perfect tuba.

joshealejo
3 valves
3 valves

Post by joshealejo »

A 6 valved Tenor Tuba? :D
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tylerferris1213 »

6/4 CC 4 piston 1 rotor please! I would be happy with a Gnagey design or a York copy. I think there is a huge niche for someone to sell these affordably to compete with BMB.