Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Post by Wyvern »

phaymore wrote:I'm thinking a copy of a Boosey Cavalry tuba would be awesome!
It is a tuba I would personally like myself, but am unsure of the market.

Not many British player will buy because "the bell points the wrong way!". - While my perception is not many American tubists like the 3+1 valve set-up.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Neptune wrote:While my perception is not many American tubists like the 3+1 valve set-up.

I just had a friend buy a Yamaha 3+1 Eb because he was developing arthritis in his little finger...
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

Post by Heliconer »

Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

cktuba wrote:Something like a 5/4 Rudy Meinl in CC and/or BBb.....
I'll second the Rudy 5/4. However... instead of just 'copying' how it looks, start from the INSIDE and make a rotor that has all the proper clearances, tolerances, and surface finish conditions. Once WESSEX gets that stuff right... it should be pretty easy to measure the tubing tapers and lengths build the rest of the horn.

Then you can call it a 'copy'.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

I like the idea of a 6/4 York CC copy.
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Douglas wrote:I like the idea of a 6/4 York CC copy.
+1. A sub-$6,000 5-valve 6/4 CC would be very tempting.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

I agree, an affordable 6/4 York CC with an INDEPENDENT 5th would be great
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

DouglasJB wrote:I agree, an affordable 6/4 York CC with an INDEPENDENT 5th would be great
Agreed, 5th must be independent! I think that may have been the biggest weakness, aside from intonation, with the BMB 6/4 York style tuba.
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Also the "compact" nature of the CSO York style horns. A Nirschl or a Yorkbrunner are comfortable to hold, the BMB 6/4 was a little hard for me to reach around.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

58mark wrote: Either add a 4th valve to a yamaha 103,
Tom McGrady already did that. He would have to speak for himself, but my guess as to the reason it disappeared would have to be that sales might have been disappointing.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Mark, look at the Eastman 226, seems to be a copy of a 621. Looks to be a good size for middle school students
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

58mark wrote:..... I'm not convinced that Jinbao rotors are good to go right out of the box like public school would need for young players. But the quality of the pistons seem good (as long as the threads on the valve caps were good) .....
WOW! This is the first useful statement I've heard from anyone besides myself regarding the Jinbao instruments.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

When Wessex started 5 years ago, valve thread on piston valves was a big problem, but a lot of investment has since been done to make improvements in that area and now they are pretty good. We can today check 100 tubas/euphonium at factory without finding a single valve threading issue.

As said previously, until this thread I had heard little of rotary valve problems - and have experienced few ourselves - so that has not been a focus of attention. Now I am aware everything is not always as good as it could be, you can be confident will be sorted and quickly - like next visit to factory in 3 weeks.

I will look into adding front piston student BBb to Wessex range. Have a couple of ideas to investigate. If 3 valves and top action valves are acceptable then the existing TB330 Junior BBb does play amazingly well for a student tuba. I am always impressed with them whenever I play test.
sweaty
bugler
bugler

Post by sweaty »

I would like to see nickel silver leadpipes. The harder metal gives better responsiveness and dent resistance in a crucial area. Miraphone is doing this.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

sweaty wrote:I would like to see nickel silver leadpipes. The harder metal gives better responsiveness and dent resistance in a crucial area. Miraphone is doing this.
Wessex does have some models with nickel lead pipes, but most are of gold brass (84% copper) as I think that warms the tone, as well as being resistant to red rot.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

58mark wrote:I'm talking about something different that is not available commonly, a 4 valve front action horn, preferably with an adjustable height leadpipe
I fully understand and have idea of how to make. Will discuss with Wessex production manager who is a technical genius :)
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Neptune wrote: I will look into adding front piston student BBb to Wessex range. Have a couple of ideas to investigate. If 3 valves and top action valves are acceptable then the existing TB330 Junior BBb does play amazingly well for a student tuba. I am always impressed with them whenever I play test.
I'm into my second year with mine, the valve threads are flawless and except for the ergonomics I'm quite pleased with it.

Every time I play something that costs three times as much, it gets strangely more comfortable!!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Three Valves wrote:except for the ergonomics I'm quite pleased with it.
Out of interest, what don't you like about the ergonomics? I just ask to see if it is something we might improve.

Although of course ergonomics are not something we are ever going to get right for everyone - us all being different sizes
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

It's just the top action in general, not specific to the tuba.

Only a matter of preference.
mannyBD
lurker
lurker

Post by mannyBD »

Personally I would like 2 different piston f tubas and 2 different piston cc tubas

Something like the Yamaha yfb-821, and the Melton 2250

And for the cc a Yamaha Ycb-681, and a 6/4 cc like the yamayork!

Of course I'm not saying to make exact copies but just to give an idea.
Last edited by mannyBD on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.