Which coins?

The bulk of the musical talk
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Which coins?

Post by arpthark »

Obviously a Texas state quarter, a Czech koruna, a fifty pence piece and a Chinese yuan.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Golden color coin might look nicer with a lacquered horn...beautiful image too...

Sacagawea
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I assume US mint coins would take solder OK. 3:1 nickel and copper, on the surface.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Keep it consistent...

Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Donn.
I didn't particularly like the curved paddles either.
I took them off and straightened them in a vice. They bend rather easily. But then I felt I needed to adjust the angle downward just a tad (by bending the push rods)

But before that (I have the Wessex Cimbasso) I tried 5 Italian coins on them with the image of Victor Emanuel on the head. For the cognoscenti, "Victor Emanuel Re di Italia" of course is abreviated into an anagram for VERDI.(would have been very appropriate) I felt they were a bit too clumsy so they were removed.

I often thought someone could have a neat 'after-market business' supplying upgrade parts for the Chinese imports. There is one particular machinist in my neighborhood who could make that kind of stuff and who actually does do jobbing for major American makers.

But, my vote for coins though would be "TEXAS"
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

When I wore through the nickel plating on the 410 I had for a few years, I first thought of getting Miraphone ones and called bloke. He said it wasn't going to work, but German marks from around the 70s are cheap on Ebay and have heavy nickel on them that won't wear through in decades. That's what I did. With the eagle side showing, it looks pretty cool. Not creatively themed like some of these suggestions, but nice looking and durable.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Michael Bush wrote:When I wore through the nickel plating on the 410 I had for a few years, I first thought of getting Miraphone ones and called bloke. He said it wasn't going to work, but German marks from around the 70s are cheap on Ebay and have heavy nickel on them that won't wear through in decades. That's what I did. With the eagle side showing, it looks pretty cool. Not creatively themed like some of these suggestions, but nice looking and durable.
My grandfather was stationed in Germany in the 60s - I have a chocolate tin full of all the old German marks from his time there. I'll probably put four on the Alex someday. Thanks for the inspiration.

Back to Mark's question, despite my initial answer I do think the look of four uniform coins would be more appealing - I like the Texas state quarter idea.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

:idea:
balchb
bugler
bugler

Post by balchb »

Solder or super glue?
Wessex CC "Mahler" raw brass
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

How about some gold $2.5 Indian quarters? Depending on the vintage it might cost more than the tuba.

Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

bisontuba wrote:Golden color coin might look nicer with a lacquered horn...beautiful image too...

Sacagawea
I once went to the bank and bought a whole bag of these.

Yep, I got a sack of gawea's. :P
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

windshieldbug wrote:Keep it consistent...

That would actually be cool.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

58mark wrote:
Michael Bush wrote:
windshieldbug wrote:Keep it consistent...

That would actually be cool.

Except that's from japan.
Details, details...
sloan
On Ice
On Ice

Post by sloan »

Four of these (1984 P):
1894P.jpg
Kenneth Sloan
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

I use Canadian pennies on my horn. They are put in place with hot melt glue. I like them because they have a slightly raised edge on them.
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

58mark wrote:
balchb wrote:Solder or super glue?
Solder
Definitely solder. Please avoid super glue. Not too long after joining the forum all those years ago, I made the mistake of recommending super glue on paddles in another thread. I was immediately, directly, and properly advised why this is not a good idea, especially due to the cyanide fumes that are released when heat is applied for any subsequent repair without the repair tech knowing what awaits.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

I have added coins to many of my tubas and found the half dollar size works best. Although you can get quarters on the cheap they are just too small and dont look right on the larger tuba paddles. On my current alex i added 3 1/2 oz year 2000 silver Australian year of the dragon coins and on the 4th added the 2012 1/2 oz silver year of the dragon coin. The coins were a little smaller in 2000 then the 2012 coins. I like the Australian 1/2 oz silver because each year is done depending on the year of the zodiac, i just like the dragons because they look cool. Here is a video of what they look like, its hard to tell but they do the job in extending the paddles giving a little more grip and response. These will run 30 to 50 dollars each.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=03guqi1Tf1w" target="_blank

On my f tuba i added 1/2 oz silver libertads pre 1996 as they are a hair smaller than those after 1996. These will run about 30 dollars each.

You can really go all out and buy texas half dollar commemorative silver coins but they will run about 200 per coin. These are incredibly artistic but due to their rarity will cost you.

The most economic way is to get some US silver halfs like a franklin, kennedy and walking liberty and add those. These will be in the 10 to 15 dollar range. Personally i like the walkers the best.

I recommend only using silver halves as the clad just doesnt look as good. This is from someone who has done it on about 20 tubas i have owned and if you ever see an alex 163 for sale with silver halves it was probably mine at one point. Take some pics when you get done.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

sloan wrote:Four of these (1984 P):
1894P.jpg
These would look cool but at almost an ounce per coin and the size being about 38 mm they are just too big. Now if you could find one that is super slick that might work on the 4th paddle.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
sloan
On Ice
On Ice

Post by sloan »

mctuba1 wrote:
sloan wrote:Four of these (1984 P):
1894P.jpg
These would look cool but at almost an ounce per coin and the size being about 38 mm they are just too big. Now if you could find one that is super slick that might work on the 4th paddle.
not to mention the cost...
Kenneth Sloan
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Post by T. J. Ricer »

New in Switzerland:
Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon