Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Post by bort »

Ok, it's been long enough.

I'd like you to tell us what you've decided. :)
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

What I will reveal is that a 6/4 front action BBb is in development, but won't say more until prototype is completed and been approved by its designer - except it will have independent 5th valve.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

A BBb helicon in the mold of Amati/Cerveny. Those horns have 4 rotary valves. I haven't seen a European helicon with piston valves but there are many helicons I have not seen.
mannyBD
lurker
lurker

Post by mannyBD »

bloke wrote:...??
I would think that it might be difficult to play all of the chromatic pitches easily and with a good sound with only 2 pistons.
I see what you did there :D , and yes it would be hard with two pistons
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

5/4 CC tuba (think Alexander 163) SIX valves (4+2, long 1/2 step + long whole step) with a main slide tuning jigger under right thumb. Gold brass.
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

F contrabass trumpet!
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

The XL appears to have a 6/4 bell although the body is not nearly 6/4, but maybe that's a more interesting intonation/big sound compromise than a traditional 6/4. The "XXL" unveil will be highly anticipated, but who knows if there's a market there.

random ideas:
Yamaha 641 (or equivalent butch 4/4 size big bore german style) with better intonation. Maybe with 5th valve for sex appeal.
King on steroids - stretched out to the old 41" height but with the new more open bell. Subtract skinny tubing to make pitch.

ongoing quest for The Next Brassband BBb:
Heavyweight 4/4 seems to have been eliminated from the market outside prescription brands...think old King or classic Besson. Gotta be 5v front action because obvious, not too big of bore but expanding kinda fast after valves and decent size body like a Besson. Bell not too big but thick brass. Maybe a return to form is due, and a heavyweight 4/4 with modern amenities will fall into favor for brass band. Something to try other than making yet another sorta-5/4.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

bell.jpg
One more request: big American-style pancake bells, like this. They get a sound with a big aura that's impossible to match.
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

Natural tuba with crooks. Seems difficult to get one's hands in the bell, however.

:P

Okay, not really, but it would be super neat to see a tuba without valves pitched in C.
--farah chisham
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

Just super general, but instead of making an entire line of well-rounded do-everything tubas...why not be a little more specialized and in the marketing be direct in the strengths. Say if you've got 5 sorta-5/4 tubas, which you do, have one with intonation above all else, one with flexibility/hi range above all else, one dedicated to big string-bass tone, one with easiest basement register, one focused on heavy sound in low range. So you choose by what you want, as opposed to a totally generic laundry list of strengths.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

bort wrote:Made in the UK? :)
darth2ba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by darth2ba »

I have to say that I really enjoyed the "Berg" 4/4 F. I've been wanting to test this model out for a few months now, and the one you guys had at ITEC was pretty much "plug-n-chug" - intonation, playability and sound were all excellent. For those who prefer pistons, I think it would be fantastic if Wessex came out with a piston version of the "Berg" and "Strauss" F tubas.

Cheers,

Joe
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

What happened to the 6v F tuba? Could the Berg be reconfigured in a 6 valve model? I'd be interested.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

arpthark wrote:What happened to the 6v F tuba? Could the Berg be reconfigured in a 6 valve model? I'd be interested.
That was discontinued as the Berg is a far better playing tuba. Wessex may reintroduce an 6-valve F in the future, but only if we can make as good as the Berg
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

What about the Berg with 5th and 6th valve in the 4th valve circuit? Set it up so index finger plus flat whole tone and middle finger plays flat half tone. I think one model of B&S has dependant 5th and 6th valve.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Are you referring to the MW 2260?
ufonium2
bugler
bugler

Post by ufonium2 »

What about a euphonium not based on the Yamaha 642? Seems like there are all these cool tuba options now, and for pro-level euphoniums we just have a couple of variations on the same basic design. I've never liked Yamaha euphoniums and I can't get excited about a clone based on one. If there were something that felt/sounded more like a Willson or Meinl, I think you'd get a lot of interest.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Speaking of Willsons, Jonathan, does Wessex have any input as far as the thickness of the sheet brass or is one thickness used for most applications? Willsons have such thick brass, I wonder if that would bear some grounds for experimentation at the factory.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Probably with ophicleides and quinticlaves already available,both Eb and Bb keyed bugles should be done....
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

On the BR115 American valve-front bell-front bari/euph hybrid, I would like the bell full front, not canted. In American concert bands, we play along with the woodwinds in many passages, and there are times we have to dip the bell or mute to not play over the rest of the woodwinds, especially if we have to play bass clarinet or bassoon cues when one of those instruments is not available in community concert band. I'm using a Humes & Berg 164A (modified) mute, and it is still all I can do to keep it toned down enough to blend.

H N White Co. King version:
King_Baritone_Horn_Silver_web.jpg
Wessex Version derived therefrom:
BR115-Front-Bell-Baritone-1-768x1024.jpg
I might add that this is the only reason I have not purchased one, as I am looking forward to the Wessex with its .571 bore being just that tad bit rounder in the lower register than the "traditional" .562 bore of the Kings, Conns, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.