The Helicon is back!

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

The Helicon is back!

Post by Wyvern »

First glimpse of prototype for the new Wessex Tubas Eb Helicon (worn by Jonathan Hodgetts) beside 19th century example (worn by Jim Langley).

I personally find it a lot more comfortable to carry than a sousaphone. Lighter and with lower centre of gravity. Sound is more like tuba and not as woofy as sousaphone.

Expected to be available late 2016 or early 2017.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wyvern on Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Helicons ancient and modern!

Post by marccromme »

Great! I always wanted a Eb Helicon too for street music. I am eager to learn more about your prototype. Please feel free to disclose more info when you are ready! MC
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

I wonder if there would be a market for the ancient Roman military corni? Would your guys build one, Jonathan? Might be tough finding a sample to take measurements. Bore size? Conical? Cylindrical? Pitch? Bell flare? Mouthpiece configuration? Etc.

-Ace
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Ace wrote:I wonder if there would be a market for the ancient Roman military corni? Would your guys build one, Jonathan? Might be tough finding a sample to take measurements. Bore size? Conical? Cylindrical? Pitch? Bell flare? Mouthpiece configuration? Etc.

-Ace
I know someone who has modern reproduction. Looks good, but not sure how accurate it plays and sounds. That is pitched like modern euphonium. :D
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

BBb please. :)
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Three Valves wrote:BBb please. :)
In future plans dependant on how the Eb version is received
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

Is it mostly parts from the similar sousaphone or a totally new thing?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

TheGoyWonder wrote:Is it mostly parts from the similar sousaphone or a totally new thing?
It is a helicon reverse engineered from sousaphone, rather than based on vintage helicon
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

Is it about the same size or larger than a compensating Eb?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

TheGoyWonder wrote:Is it about the same size or larger than a compensating Eb?
Same size bore and 19" bell
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

Post by Heliconer »

My Wallet already hates you. This is too good t be true!
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

I think your biggest challenge won't be whether there is a market for new helicons, but shipping them. Both from a damage standpoint, but also at a reasonable cost point to customers. That is going to be one huge and expensive box to ship.

I'm a long time multiple Helicon owner of both BBb & Eb and the only disadvantage of a Helicon is transport to gigs in car/bus and forget about flying!

So perhaps you might want to think about having a detachable bell which would not only help in shipping, but also benefit owners when transporting to gigs?
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

It would be hard to resist if it were in CC.
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

The Helicon is back!

Post by Wyvern »

I have been trying out the new Wessex Eb Helicon on the march and in concert with band this last couple weekend and can say I absolutely love! Why military bands stopped using them, I just do not know? I found it to be the perfect tuba for marching. Weight is about 25% less than sousaphone with lower centre of gravity making it easy to carry, while that weight is directly over spine unlike tuba on strap where I am bracing to stay upright. Therefore my posture was much better and I suffered no back pain. Also I found the music stayed steady and did not jog-around, so I could easier read on the march.

A big surprise to me is the helicon plays much better than sousaphone. The sound is more focused, the notes slot better with improved intonation and fuller low register. I never before realised the adverse effect that double curve of tube and oversize bell had on the playing of sousaphones. As Tom Holtz commented on Facebook, "It's night and day. Truly." I now understand!

I am pleased to hear the Swedish Royal Army Band has started using helicon again. I hope Wessex Tubas can start a helicon revival. The first batch of Eb helicon will be available November and we expect to have a 4 piston valve BBb version following in 2017.

Here are some photos of me playing the Eb helicon with Wessex Military Band.

Works well sitting too - unless you are the euphonium player to my left! :D
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Heliconer wrote:My Wallet already hates you. This is too good t be true!
+1. Excellent choice, Jonathan!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: The Helicon is back!

Post by Three Valves »

The Red Coats are coming!!

Steady...
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

I have a couple of Eb helicons. They play very nicely and are better balanced for carrying that a sousaphone. Good choice Johannathan.
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

Hi Jonathan - any updates on specs and development of the Eb helicon ???
sousaphonehero
bugler
bugler

Post by sousaphonehero »

Bumping this back up, I guess.
What is the status?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

The prototype for both Eb and BBb helicon have been approved and play great. Better than I could possibly hope. The Eb prototype I play myself all the time. It is my go to horn for marching gigs. I will be playing in France at Thiepval on the Somme for November 11th next week with the Band of the Hampshire Constabulary. One thing highlighted playing the last 3 months is how durable is the new Helicon. Although kicking around with no case and used extensively, it still has hardly no dents of note.

What we are waiting now is for new cases to be made to get the Helicon into production.

Both keys of the production helicon will have easily pullable 1st valve slide ( just under left hand), long enough main tuning slide to cope with large range of temperatures and removable bell for easy transport.

I hope to have on display and to try at NAMM and US Army conference and available to buy as early as we can in 2017.