Gig bags/case for detachable recording bell tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
dmmorris
3 valves
3 valves
Location: From far away as Jupiter sulfur mines, way down by the methane sea.

Gig bags/case for detachable recording bell tubas

Post by dmmorris »

I know the old cases for King, Conn, York (etc.) tubas usually came as two cases one for the body and one for the bell. How are you guys with recording bell tubas schlepping them around if you don't a have the original cases?

Are there any vendors making cases or gig bags that will fit tubas with recording bells?

Any of you have experience with Dolly/Cronkhite/Alteri custom dimensioned gig bags for recording bell tubas?

Thanks
beta 14??..........OK!

Mid 70's B&S Tuba
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

I had a 2 piece Altieri bag made for my Martin recording BAT. She did a great job making bags that fit the body and bell. It was very convenient to carry in the 2 bags, and I never had any damage, but I was very careful when carrying them. I treated the gig bags as if I were carrying the horn in nothing with straps attached.

I had a Conn 22J that came with 2 leather covered wood cases, and it was a bear to lug those things around. They definitely protected the horn though.

Badger State repair (262) 723-4062, will custom make hard cases for any horn. I haven't used them, but the ones I have seen seem pretty solid.
Normal
bugler
bugler

Post by Normal »

In situations where someone else is responsible (i.e. in a van with other instruments), I use the two cases made for my King 1241. When I am the one doing the handling, I have been known to put the body with the recording bell attached into my Tuxedo bag. There is enough give in the top of the bag that the bell fits with only a slight bulge in the top. I see no real stresses put on the tuba that might lead to damage. I am also very careful about what the bell might run into.
Norm Miller

King 2341S BBb
Yamaha YBL 612 Bass Trombone

Willamette Valley Concert Band
dmmorris
3 valves
3 valves
Location: From far away as Jupiter sulfur mines, way down by the methane sea.

Post by dmmorris »

Thanks Lew. I've liked what I've bought from Altieri in the past, so I may go that route.

I also just found these at the auction site

Don't know about build quality though........around the same price break as a gig-bag, but a lot heavier I'll bet.

dmm
beta 14??..........OK!

Mid 70's B&S Tuba
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

dmmorris wrote:Thanks Lew. I've liked what I've bought from Altieri in the past, so I may go that route.

I also just found these at the auction site

Don't know about build quality though........around the same price break as a gig-bag, but a lot heavier I'll bet.

dmm
Those are being sold by Taylor music, with whom I've had good luck in the past. They look like the cases that Badger State (Ed Strege) sells. They aren't much more expensive than having bags made, and will definitely be more protective. Weight is the only issue. If you want protection I would think they are worth a try.

It is interesting that they say that they fit Conn 2XJ's and King 12/2340/1's. The Conns are much larger than the Kings, especially the newer Kings with the 19" bells.
Will
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Will »

A friend of mine uses an old yamaha bag for his bell-front Yorkmaster. He has to turn the bell in, but it works. I remember seeing something about a bag for a bell-front tuba, but maybe it was a bell-front euphonium/baritone.
Music Teacher
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Gig bags/case for detachable recording bell tubas

Post by roughrider »

Messina Covers,
Louisville, Kentucky
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces