WTB: 5/4-6/4 CC Tuba

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
TubaZac2012
3 valves
3 valves

WTB: 5/4-6/4 CC Tuba

Post by TubaZac2012 »

So I recently had a lesson with one of the very best players in the world and he suggested getting some better equipment. Particularly a larger CC tuba. I can't help but agree, because a lot of the time I over play my little York CC that Tabor built me. I am NOT getting rid of it. It is the perfect quintet/pit tuba, but I am throwing this feeler post out here looking to see if I can find anyone getting rid of anything other than what's on the board.

Horns I'm interested in: PT6P, Thor, 2165, PT7P, Willson 3050, and the Gronitz PCK. Open to other suggestions as well, but those are my favorites. Really like to keep the budget under $10,000, and I want it to come with a gig bag. Also I don't care about condition. If the lacquer or silver is worn off I don't mind that's fine. Raw brass is fine. Not picky whatsoever. I don't want it to have a lot of massive dents that make it sound bad or just look awful, but small ones that aren't noticeable that doesn't affect tuning or sound is fine.

Thanks,
Zac
Last edited by TubaZac2012 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zac Riley
Shoals Community Band
Twickenham Winds
Huntsville Brass Band Contrabass Tuba
Madison Community Symphony Orchestra
York/King/Reynolds Custom Tabor Build Franken York CC
jtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Re: WTB: 5/4-6/4 CC Tuba

Post by jtuba »

Not as big as you've listed, but the Packer Sterling CC is quite close to a HB 21 and will play bigger than it looks. The horns you listed will be harder, but not impossible, to come by below 10K with a bag and the Packer will come in new much lower than that, and come with a hard case. My opinion FWIW
Adjunct Tuba Professor, Christopher Newport University
Eastman Artist

TubaZac2012
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TubaZac2012 »

I've played the John Packer. Great horn.
Zac Riley
Shoals Community Band
Twickenham Winds
Huntsville Brass Band Contrabass Tuba
Madison Community Symphony Orchestra
York/King/Reynolds Custom Tabor Build Franken York CC
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Quick question (I forgot) -- why did you sell your Willson 3050 in the first place? Just wanted something else, or was there something in particular you didn't like about it? It's been a while since I've played a piston Willson, but after finally settling into my rotary Willson, I'm not sure I'd really want the (rotary) equivalents of any of the tubas you mentioned instead.

Not to mention, piston Willson's seem to be out of style right now, and (as you know) available at pretty good prices on the used market, and you'd come out well ahead of that $10k budget.
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

Pm sent!
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
ECUorchbound
bugler
bugler

Post by ECUorchbound »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=71470" target="_blank" target="_blank
Jacob Daniel

Freelance Musician and Educator
B&S PT-6
Saltchuck08
bugler
bugler

Post by Saltchuck08 »

Its none of the horns you listed but still a good 5/4 horn.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=74360" target="_blank
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

ECUorchbound wrote:viewtopic.php?f=4&t=71470" target="_blank" target="_blank
I second this one. If you're willing to go rotary, the 5/4 Rudy is a remarkable instrument.

DB
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
Zack Grass
lurker
lurker

Post by Zack Grass »

My Meinl Weston Thor is about to be on the market. It is an older horn (originally owned by Norm Pearson of the LA Philharmonic) but has done me well in the past few years and still plays great. Send me a message if you're interested and I can send you pictures and we can talk price.
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Post by LCTuba89 »

Big Mouth Brass, if you haven't tried em' , you owe to yourself to. I love my BMB BBb 6/4. Very few intonation quirks.

One for sale here, we'll under your budget: https://buckeyebrassandwinds.com/produc ... 5-cc-tuba/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Melton 2155R 5/4 CC Tuba
Conn International Rotary 4/4 BBb Tuba