Locking threads

Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Locking threads

Post by bort »

Can threads just be locked, instead of either completely deleting them, or deleting everything except for the first post? I think it is pretty heavy-handed to completely delete stuff. Sort of a discouragement to participate in any sort of real discussion or debate...to know that it might just all get deleted :roll:
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Re: Locking threads

Post by windshieldbug »

Rather than just plain bare brass monkeys, can I get mine platypus plated?
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
OOMPAH
bugler
bugler

Post by OOMPAH »

bort wrote:Can threads just be locked, instead of either completely deleting them, or deleting everything except for the first post? I think it is pretty heavy-handed to completely delete stuff. Sort of a discouragement to participate in any sort of real discussion or debate...to know that it might just all get deleted :roll:
Agree with bort. All the censorship is making TubeNet a dull lifeless place. Less people tuning in and less folks participating. Pretty soon it'll just be Bloke and the tumbleweeds blowing around.

FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

It's not censorship if decisions are made by the thread starter. This is a site owned by the Chishams. If you want less censorship, I guess I can allow the spammers back in. Honestly, this is a privately owned board; not everyone is allowed in my home. I, however, will call out someone either in PM or publically if I do not agree with their statements. I believe in natural consequences. If you want to know why bloke's thread was moved, ask bloke but don't claim "censorship is out of control." You don't have the perspective admin does. Questions about the issue are better received than a question complaining about heavy handedness. There were lots of assumptions in this thread.

Also, 99% of threads deleted are not deleted by admin.
--farah chisham
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

FarahShazam wrote:It's not censorship if decisions are made by the thread starter. This is a site owned by the Chishams. If you want less censorship, I guess I can allow the spammers back in. Honestly, this is a privately owned board; not everyone is allowed in my home. I, however, will call out someone either in PM or publically if I do not agree with their statements. I believe in natural consequences. If you want to know why bloke's thread was moved, ask bloke but don't claim "censorship is out of control." You don't have the perspective admin does. Questions about the issue are better received than a question complaining about heavy handedness. There were lots of assumptions in this thread.

Also, 99% of threads deleted are not deleted by admin.
First and foremost, every member of the forum must remember the phrases I have bold-faced. We are all here by invitation, not by right. We may be excused or relieved at the pleasure of the owner, at any time, in any context, for any reason, or no reason at all. If you want to go somewhere you have a "right," then post your viewpoint on your area's politician's website.

The entire reason for this thread is that there are unfortunately a few folks who forget that everything you need to know in life we learned in kindergarten. There have been times when I have had to sit out "recess" for misbehavior (read: posts deleted), and we all have, including bloke and the rest of the TNFJ. We all go over the edge occasionally.

And sometimes, threads like this are needed to bring everybody back to center with proper respectful discussion, disagreement, and debate.

Farah, thanks.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

tuben wrote:
iiipopes wrote:First and foremost, every member of the forum must remember the phrases I have bold-faced. We are all here by invitation, not by right. We may be excused or relieved at the pleasure of the owner, at any time, in any context, for any reason, or no reason at all. If you want to go somewhere you have a "right," then post your viewpoint on your area's politician's website.
Who has mentioned access to this sight as a 'right', in the political sense of the word?

Do we have 'rights' to the words we've individually written? Does the 'right to be forgotten' apply here?

To be clear, it seems my recent post was cutout based upon the words of others not upon mine. But it took more than a few days to get that piece of information as the moderator couldn't cite what he found wrong with the post, or whom.
Tuben, you misinterpreted me. That is why I put the second reference to the word "right" in quotation marks: to make sure everybody knows that this forum is not a "right" in the political sense of the word.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.