Starting out on Euphonium - instrument choice.

The bulk of the musical talk
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Starting out on Euphonium - instrument choice.

Post by tbonesullivan »

timothy42b wrote:Trombone players use the slide on every note for fine tuning.

Euph players have two different approaches: use a combination of lipping and fingering choice to play in tune, or play blissfully out of tune.
I have seen the "pro" level euphs from some makers that have a main tuning slide kicker/trigger, but it doesn't seem to be completely widespread. I'm surprised that there isn't more tuning correcting built in, like in a trumpet with the 1 and 3 valve slides.

King 2280 is looking better and better, and it seems to have a variety of tuning possibilities, and is a lot cheaper than most of the options out there.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
LowBrassNYC
bugler
bugler

Post by LowBrassNYC »

I'll second the YEP-321 again. Your not going to find the same quality for the price. It's a no-brainer.
Ryan Fisk
———
Meinl Weston 2250TL, 6460, 6450/2
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

tbonesullivan wrote:I have seen the "pro" level euphs from some makers that have a main tuning slide kicker/trigger, but it doesn't seem to be completely widespread.
It seems like a good idea to me, but I've never played one nor seen one played.

So maybe it's not practical for some reason that doesn't occur to me. Or, just not needed.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

I would guess it depends on the player. It's definitely more of a "tuba" thing to be adjusting the main tuning slide all the time. Brass Ark has an alexander CC tuba up for sale that has an adjustment rod running from the bottom tuning slide to above the upper bow so you can just use your right hand to adjust. The kickers on the Euphoniums seem to be spring loaded, so they return to "center" after being used.

I have a friend with a B&S F Tuba with a kicker on one of the valves, and had the valve vented as well so it doesn't trap any air.

I will try to get down to DIllon Music next week and see if I can try out some euphs.
timothy42b wrote:It seems like a good idea to me, but I've never played one nor seen one played.

So maybe it's not practical for some reason that doesn't occur to me. Or, just not needed.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
FreeBandMusic
bugler
bugler

Post by FreeBandMusic »

The king 2280 plays well and has a good full-size tone, but the springy tuning gadget is totally unusable... the human hand just does NOT bend that way. I've seen a lot of kings, but no one uses the 3rd valve thing... just disconnect the spring.

the yep 321 is well built and plays in tune, but the tone is much lighter and brighter than the compensators, 3 or 4 valve.

Our music for community band typically has at least one piece on each concert that calls for a fourth valve.

I've heard several of the chinese compensators and they seem okay... Our first chair player uses a Schiller and sounds great.

John Thompson
columbia (SC) community concert band
dwerden
pro musician
pro musician

Post by dwerden »

There is nothing wrong with the 321, although I prefer the King 2280's tone. However, if you would rather only deal with 3 valves and don't need to go below low E, and 3-valve compensating horn is just fine. I personally prefer the Besson sound over the 321 or 2280. FWIW, Boosey & Hawkes is basically the same instrument as Besson (same company, parts, and production line in modern history). Willson also made one, so if you are a fan of the Willson sound that might work for you. They are extremely rare, but one just sold on eBay recently for $1,750. If you keep an eye on my forum's For Sale section, I will invariably list any of the 3-valve compensating horns when I see a good one for sale.
http://www.dwerden.com/forum/forumdispl ... ted-to-Buy

A 3-valve compensating horn allows you to play low C with 13 and the B below that with 123... AND be in tune! Same for the low F and E.

You can learn more about both the 3- and 4-valve compensating system below. Try the icon/link near the top for an animated version if you want a quick overview:

http://www.dwerden.com/eu-articles-comp.cfm
Dave Werden (ASCAP)
www.dwerden.com
Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba
YouTube, Twitter, Facebook
largobone
bugler
bugler

Post by largobone »

^This guy knows what he's talking about-go to his forum and do some looking around/inquiries (http://www.dwerden.com/forum/forum.php#.WB6kL_krKUl" target="_blank)
MM DePaul University
bass trombone, Evanston Symphony
trombone, Ohio Light Opera
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

The problem with Jim Laabs is you cannot ever get your money back. You can exchange but you cannot send back. For that reason, no matter whether the quality is the same or not, I won't buy from there. That's just my choice of how to spend my bucks.

I had a 2280 for years. Upgraded to a used Sterling Perantucci 3+1 compensator that I got on ebay. For me, no comparison; the Sterling is SO much easier to play in tune, and being a horn player, the stuffiness of the compensating system is below the radar.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

dwerden wrote: I personally prefer the Besson sound over the 321 or 2280. FWIW, Boosey & Hawkes is basically the same instrument as Besson (same company, parts, and production line in modern history). Willson also made one, so if you are a fan of the Willson sound that might work for you. They are extremely rare, but one just sold on eBay recently for $1,750. If you keep an eye on my forum's For Sale section, I will invariably list any of the 3-valve compensating horns when I see a good one for sale.
http://www.dwerden.com/forum/forumdispl ... ted-to-Buy

A 3-valve compensating horn allows you to play low C with 13 and the B below that with 123... AND be in tune! Same for the low F and E.
Thank you so much for the info! Another reason the 3 valve compensating system appealed to me, aside from price (if I can find one), is that I played in a community group with another trombone player, and he had picked up a 3 valve compensating Besson, and really liked it, and none of the literature he needed it for had anything below E2, or nearly that low. Given that Tenor and bass trombone come "before" Euphonium in my preferred instrument, sinking a bunch into an instrument. I'll have to see if the Boosey & Hawkes is still at Dillon Music so I can go check it out on Thursday.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Sorry for the thread from the dead. I'm still on the hunt, and noticed some horns down at Baltimore brass. They have a Marzan 4 valve non compensating front action, and a "Mahillon" 5 valve (4 top 1 side) that has a flat half step 5th valve. Also looks like they have a Jean Baptiste clone of a Yamaha 321, as well as some oval rotary valve euphs.

Does anyone have any recommendations besides going down and playing them? I'll be down there for other reasons this saturday, so it would be the perfect opportunity to play some horns.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Took a look at a couple of the photos.

From my single Bb horn I know that 5 valves with a long semitone in the fifth gives good options for funny fingerings in the low range, low B natural is still missing though. If the Mahillon has tight valves and if it has been well put together, then it could be an interesting instrument. It definitely needs a thorough testing before a potential buy. I do not like the very exposed position of the 4th slide.

The airpath of the Marzan is hard to follow from the photo. Looks like the main or the 4th slide is accessible on the back for adjustments on the fly, which is a good thing. This one rather looks like made by Böhm & Meinl than by Willson, which is not a bad thing, but it likely will be a little lighter. Does not look like it takes a large mouthpiece stem. The same might go for the Mahillon, but there I am less sure.

If I were to pick one of these just from the photos, I would take the Marzan.

Klaus