Now Vented Valves on the Wessex Dolce Euphonium!

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Now Vented Valves on the Wessex Dolce Euphonium!

Post by Wyvern »

The latest batch of the much acclaimed and popular Wessex EP100 Dolce euphonium have just been improved still further with vented valves. Side by side comparison by John Powell of professional tuba quartet, Tubalate has shown that these improve legarto response of the euphonium allowing for smoother playing - very important for the lyrical euphonium!

At the same time we have upgraded the pistons from stainless steel to monel for smoother action and have topped off the valves with beautiful new Wessex Wyvern engraved valve buttons which not only look great, but provide pleasant textured feel.

The latest Dolce euphonium are also being fitted with heavier 0.75mm thick bell for greater projection and extra nickel strengthening plates to repel against dents.

And at the same time we have introduced new mechanical polishing method for higher quality finish.

Wessex just gets better and better!
Last edited by Wyvern on Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re: Now Vented Valves on the Wessex Dolce Euphonium!

Post by MackBrass »

Hi Jonathan, I am curious about the old valves you used to have, we're they all stainless including the ports? We have always had monel valves on this model and i thought it was standard. I am also curious about how venting the valves makes it smoother? Is it assuming that while playing the player is pulling the tuning slides on the fly and is this the same concept as venting the valves on a tuba? I undertstand doing it on a tuba but dont see how it works on a euph or any upright valved instrument. If this is something new i am very curious. Thanks, Tom
Last edited by MackBrass on Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

The euphonium valves were stainless steel up to most recent orders (I can see the difference in finish). The main reason to change to Monel (which is more expensive) was that material is easier to use venting the valves. Our piston valves are usually made stainless steel - they still are on all other Wessex piston instruments.

Regarding how the venting works - I am not so sure, but it means there is no slight pop moving between notes - the change is smoother. On the euphonium it has nothing to do with slide pulling. I believe Adams euphonium also have vented valves.
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

Thanks, very interesting.
Tom McGrady
804-926-7707
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

My Miraphone–5050 has vented valves (stainless steel) and they're great! Jonathan is right in that vented valves help keep the horn from making little popping noises during slurred passages. Popping noise can occur as the horn warms up as you play.
Last edited by Rick F on Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

I don't think it is a matter of can't, but just a matter of preference, remembering we are here talking relatively high volume production.

I believe Monel is better than stainless steel for Pistons based on my experiences of Besson with both materials (earlier Besson used Monel, changed to stainless steel in 1990's), so am happy Monel is used
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

I have a Mack Brass with stainless steel pistons. Very happy with it. I would like to try the Monel too at some point to see how much difference it makes. I have played Monel pistons on other instruments. It was okay but I do like stainless. Very nice touch on the vented valves!
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

Davidus1 wrote:I have a Mack Brass with stainless steel pistons. Very happy with it. I would like to try the Monel too at some point to see how much difference it makes. I have played Monel pistons on other instruments. It was okay but I do like stainless. Very nice touch on the vented valves!

If your talking about the euph, they are monel, we never carried that with stainless. The only horn we carry with stainless is the bass trumpet.
Tom McGrady
804-926-7707
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

mctuba1 wrote:
Davidus1 wrote:I have a Mack Brass with stainless steel pistons. Very happy with it. I would like to try the Monel too at some point to see how much difference it makes. I have played Monel pistons on other instruments. It was okay but I do like stainless. Very nice touch on the vented valves!

If your talking about the euph, they are monel, we never carried that with stainless. The only horn we carry with stainless is the bass trumpet.
I stand corrected! Thought they were stainless. I'll tell my son as he is in possession of the Euph now. ( :
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

I owned a Yamaha 381 Eb Tuba that definitely had Monel pistons. I liked the horn.
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

mctuba1 wrote:

Tom - This is from the MackBrass website on the Euph page:
http://www.mackbrass.com/MACK-EU1150_Comp.php" target="_blank

Bore:15-16.8mm / .590-.661

· Bell:300mm yellow brass / 11.81”

· Tuning Slides: Nickel (outer&inner)

· Piston:Stainless steel

· Case:Foambody
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

bloke wrote: I drill holes in stainless pistons regularly...with cheap Chinese HSS drill bits. :P
We can get the valves made Monel or stainless steel. But Monel is I understand slightly easier to work and I believe are better as valve material.

However I take note of feedback and if majority of customers prefer stainless steel, we will revert to that material from next batch
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

Davidus1 wrote:
mctuba1 wrote:

Tom - This is from the MackBrass website on the Euph page:
http://www.mackbrass.com/MACK-EU1150_Comp.php" target="_blank" target="_blank

Bore:15-16.8mm / .590-.661

· Bell:300mm yellow brass / 11.81”

· Tuning Slides: Nickel (outer&inner)

· Piston:Stainless steel

· Case:Foambody
That is not what you have, i guess we need to update that.
Tom McGrady
804-926-7707