New Wessex 'Grand' 6/4 BBb tuba

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: New Wessex 'Grand' 6/4 BBb tuba

Post by thevillagetuba »

Wyvern wrote:The gold trim is mainly to be eye catching for exhibiting use. The production tuba will as standard be all silver and also be available lacquered and raw brass.

Gold trim seems to be something some people love and others hate. On Euphonium it is most popular.
I think it looks better on euph and trumpet because there is more gold in the ratio between gold and silver. For tubas, it just doesn't have the same effect...

I like the gold trim on a euph, but hate it on the tuba.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

58mark wrote:
Wyvern wrote:The production tuba will as standard be all silver and also be available lacquered and raw brass.
you forgot to say "satin silver"
I don't know any facilities outside USA to do such. Even the NIrschl and Yamayork are not available in that finish I believe. Anyone who wants such would be best to buy the tuba raw brass and get satin silver plated themselves after purchase.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

58mark wrote:I don't know of the procedure for satin, but if it's what I think it is, wouldn't it make more sense to get a silver tuba and have it blasted?
I am sure one of the techs can explain the process, but remember something about base coat of copper plating
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Satin silver will make it look like a jacked up 50 years old school tuba that just got restored.

I think you should make it in bright silver only and eliminate the option altogether. This is likely going to be a high end piece in your range, so make it look high end.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Also, please consider having a nice case as an option.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

The Grand will be in nice hard latched case from the start. We are also planning vented valves as standard, although this has not yet been done on prototype.
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Post by LCTuba89 »

Tabor wrote:The prototype looks cool. The bugle resembles the old top action Holton. One other modern 6/4 BBb based on that model is said to be very good.
Yeah I own one of the horns based on the old top action Holton. One of the best playing horns money can buy. I can't wait to see what others think of this horn though. I have a feeling the BMB BBb 6/4 wont stay on the market very long if this horn has equal or better characteristics simply because of the independent mechanical linkaged 5th valve. If the 5th valve were independent on the BMB, I would have gotten it.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Chuck Nickles (ex-US Army Band, Europe), designer of the new Grand BBb will be bringing the tuba to NAMM, so any visitors there will get the chance to try and discuss the tuba with Chuck and myself (Jonathan). It plays really great, but two changes we are making to improve ergonomics is to lower the valve set and mouthpiece a couple inches - and bring the valves slightly closer to player. That will make the ergonomics almost identical to the Wyvern CC.

A couple weeks later the Grand will be exhibited at US Army Conference in Washington DC, so another chance to try there.

Then for European customers, it will be at Frankfurt Muikmesse in April (maybe mark 2 prototype by then)
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Post by LCTuba89 »

Wyvern wrote:It plays really great, but two changes we are making to improve ergonomics is to lower the valve set and mouthpiece a couple inches - and bring the valves slightly closer to player. That will make the ergonomics almost identical to the Wyvern CC.
Really?! Thank you! I always found the mouthpipe and valve set were a bit too high for me on my BMB. I have since adapted to it but it's great to know that this horn will be coming out the factory with great ergonomics. Now I really wanna try this horn.
bububassboner
pro musician
pro musician

Post by bububassboner »

I designed this horn...
The original was designed for me and my back. Since I broke my spine last year I dont want to hold the horn on my lap. So the valve section was placed where it is to make life easier for me. The factory was pretty good about copying what I did for the most part. I have the prototype with me now. We are gonna move the valve block down and closer to the player so there is less of a reach and moves more of the weight closer to the player so there is less "lean" on the horn. We are also going to do a different wrap for the fifth valve (closer to what I originally did) to also move the weight a bit. I'll write up more on the horn on a later date, I'm on vacation now so I'll do that in a few days.

I hope to see a bunch of you in California soon!
Big tubas
Little tubas
Army Strong
Go Ducks!
Jess Haney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jess Haney »

Please post some pics of the new changes.
MoCoTubaBone
lurker
lurker

Post by MoCoTubaBone »

Any idea of how much this 6/4 will weigh? Thanks!
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

Any chance we'll see this at SERTEC?
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Unfortunately not. Will be at US Army workshop this coming Friday and Saturday
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Wait...

Broken spine... bad back... let's design a 6/4 BAT?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're recovered enough that a tuba of this size is an option... and I applaud your work and efforts to build this tuba... but why not build something more reasonably-sized?
tubapix
bugler
bugler

Post by tubapix »

Any news on final dimensions (bell size, weight...) and delivery date? Maybe some more eye candy pix too please.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

20" bell and 0.075" bore expanding in 4th and 5th valves.

Delivery depends on professional feedback of prototype #2. We want to make the Grand as good as possible, so getting everything right is priority over quick release.
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tylerferris1213 »

I can't wait to try out one of these next to my Conn Grand Orchestral! They look like they have similar proportions
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Post by Steginkt »

Will there be demo horns at the brick and mortar location come August or September?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Steginkt wrote:Will there be demo horns at the brick and mortar location come August or September?
I can't say until we have completed professional trial of the new Grand. Depends if ready to go as is, or needs further development