New 4-valve Compensated Baritone

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

New 4-valve Compensated Baritone

Post by Wyvern »

I am pleased to start 2017 announcing yet another new model from Wessex Tubas. This is our BR144 Bb Compensated baritone with 4-valves which we have named the 'Secundus' which means in Latin second - as we believe this is just the instrument to use to play 2nd baritone in a brass band. It will also be a great doubling instrument for euphonium players familiar with the 4-valve compensated system.

The baritone will be available to try at Butlins, Skegness at the brass band contest in couple weeks and then in USA at NAMM and US Army Workshop in the next month.

We expect the BR144 to be available for sale from August with price similar to our Dolce euphonium.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: New 4-valve Compensated Baritone

Post by iiipopes »

Why? Baritone horns have a similar bore to larger trombone bore. And they are mostly cylindrical, with a tight throat/quick flare bell. That means (using transposed treble clef brass band notation) anything below middle C gets increasingly grainy and coarse.

I respectfully suggest that 4-valve baritones are an exercise in futility.

I apologize for being direct, even as I enjoy my BR-115, but this has always been my opinion. I believe the effort is better expended making a 3-valve comp more consistent from register to register.

Thank you for the opportunity to express my opinion.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

You are welcome to try at the US Army workshop where we will have the prototype
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

We will also be at NABBA in March and Cleveland Tuba day in May
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

Re whether people think there is a market for this instrument: as the Australian reseller of Wessex I can see this model being reasonably popular. The school music system as well older players seem to be looking for smaller/lighter instruments. (As someone who has only ever played tuba any other brass instrument seems small and light to me!). Local Brass bands may also be keen on them. So I imagine we will sell reasonable numbers of these (considering we are a population of less than 30 million). Like 'Bloke' our Eupho/Bari guy will be keen to see how they play compared to the 3 valve model.
AnorakHorn
bugler
bugler

Post by AnorakHorn »

Sorry to revive and old thread.

Johnathon; what is happening with this horn? Can you provide an update?

Thanks in advance!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

AnorakHorn wrote:Sorry to revive and old thread.

Johnathon; what is happening with this horn? Can you provide an update?

Thanks in advance!
Is available to purchase - has been since March
https://wessex-tubas.com/products/briti ... alve-br144
AnorakHorn
bugler
bugler

Post by AnorakHorn »

Thanks! I must have missed it being put on the website.