Fitness and Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Tubanomicon
4 valves
4 valves

Fitness and Tuba

Post by Tubanomicon »

Hey everyone,

This has been bugging me for a while, so I thought I would pose it to the community. What does everyone do for fitness when it comes to the tuba? Do you have an exercise regimen that you feel doesn't interfere with your playing? If so, what do you do?

I practice my tuba between two and five hours every day. But for about 45 minutes four days a week, I do some natural bodybuilding. On two other days, I do cardio. I hear mixed things about resistance training when it comes to playing a wind instrument, but I feel the exercise helps me with my breath support and overall level of endurance. (I used to work out for an hour and a half each day, but that SEVERELY limited my days' energy cache.)

Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
“Very little strength can produce much motion of air. Learn about air as motion.”

--Arnold Jacobs
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Fitness and Tuba

Post by Bill Troiano »

I can only say that cardio and strength training are important for overall fitness, and probably more so as we age. I've been doing it for almost 10 yrs. now and I'm 65yrs. old. I go to the gym 4-5 days week. I'm also retired, which helps. Back in my public school teaching days, I used to go to a pool several days a week and swim laps. If you're really into body building and bulging muscles, perhaps that can have a negative effect on tuba playing. I don't really know. I do about 3 days of strength training and 2 days of cardio weekly, but on my strength training days, I incorporate cardio by doing circuits (2-4 exercises in a row with little rest; then rest a minute or so and do it again; 3-4 sets.) I've also gotten into overdoing the strength stuff, which leads to injury and time off - stupid me says my wife. But, overall good fitness is good for your health and I'm hoping it helps prolong my life or, at least, helps to keep me from getting a prolonged illness before I kick the bucket. I honestly don't do it for my tuba playing. Actually, I was diagnosed with a left bundle branch block shortly after I retired. I saw a cardiologist and he's the one who encouraged my to join a gym and get into shape. I told him round was a shape, but he wasn't amused.

So, I think that a certain amount of strength and cardio training is good for overall health, which shouldn't have a negative effect on tuba playing. Cardio is probably excellent for tuba playing and air usage.

Of course, one should consult their doctor before embarking, especially if you haven't been exercising for a while or if you have any pre-exisintg health conditions. I feel like a commercial.
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dan Tuba »

For me, I find that exercise helps to manage stress and reduce tension. I don't know if exercise helps me perform any better, but I know that exercise usually helps me relax and feel better before a performance. I usually walk about 3 to 5 miles everyday.
Conn 25J
Holton 3+1 "Monster" EEb
Wessex XL
Giddings and Kelly Mouthpieces
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Is the OP familiar with "The Breathing Gym" by Pilafian and Sheridan?
https://www.amazon.com/Breathing-Book-P ... 0965580873" target="_blank
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Tubanomicon
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tubanomicon »

Oh yeah, I'm very familiar. I do a modified version of "The Breathing Gym" for my breathing warm-ups every day.

@Bill: Sounds like you have a thorough regimen. What does your tuba playing consist of?
“Very little strength can produce much motion of air. Learn about air as motion.”

--Arnold Jacobs
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Tubanomicon,

As I think I said, what I do for fitness, I don't do to help my tuba playing. I do it for overall fitness and If the cardio exercise helps my air usage, then that's great. I'm sure the Breathing Gym is great and I tried it briefly with one of my sons. It kicked my butt. However, I'd rather spend time on the horn rather than spend time doing extensive breathing exercises, or even mouthpiece buzzing exercises.

As far as my tuba playing, I don't practice nearly as much as I used to. A lot of it depends upon what other playing I'm doing that day, if any. These days, typically I have 1-2 (or more) trad. jazz gigs a week. I rehearse with a brass quintet weekly and we rarely get gigs. I play in the Cedar Park Winds (concert band rehearsal) each week. That's mainly it. Surely, other playing gig opportunities arise: Easter; Oktoberfest; sub in a community orchestra, tuba/euph quartet (especially around the Christmas season). I tend to practice on days when I have no other playing going on. I might do a warm up routine on certain days when I have a gig, especially if I feel out of sorts. I can go 3-4 days sometimes without touching a tuba. Wuddeva, at this point. I'm happy I'm still playing.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I seem to be able to play tuba for hours with very little effort in the fitness arena. My main problem is having the strength to hoist and carry the thing, and for that I joined a Medicare HMO that has those machines that strengthen your muscles. That, and the fact that I actually slipped and fell off a step stool the other day (I was well padded with warm clothing and am sore but nothing broken) has made me really center in on the strength thing. I still have good balance but think I will put more time into that too, and quit wearing slippery-soled shoes when on step ladders. Cardio...tuba, horn, and euph ARE my cardio, in addition to playing Chase Me with the cat in the mornings through the house. YMMV. Ever see a picture of Phil Myers, 1st horn in NYP? I've seen him have trouble getting up the steps to the stage, in person. I don't know how long he will live, but his physical condition surely does not impair his horn playing.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

bloke wrote:~Some~ (←some) of the finest tuba players don't seem to be very much into fitness.

That having been said, I cannot help but suspect that they would be even finer players (or do the fine things that they do more easily) were they more fit.
Indeed. However, depending on the history and currency of any particular player's health issues, what may be "out of shape" to one person may be the best another player can do, especially as time inevitably overtakes all of us.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
timayer
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timayer »

I've had bouts of exercising and bouts of not exercising over the past 6 years. I prioritize family, work, tuba, and exercise in that order. When there's no time for all 4, the exercising goes away. I've never noticed any positive or negative effects on the physical aspects of my playing when I do or do not exercise.

On the other hand, I know that I feel better physically and mentally when I'm exercising 3 or 4 times a week. I find that it makes playing more enjoyable, and I am in a better place to be self-critical (in a positive way) and therefore more productive. From that perspective, my playing is slightly better when I am exercising because my head is in a better place.

I have yet to have an "aww shucks, I overdid it at the gym" injury interfere with my playing.

I did injure my shoulder conducting, though. I had done a particularly heavy workout on my shoulders and then the next day conducted a 3 hour rehearsal. This was at the beginning of about 2 months of regular conducting, so it continued to worsen until I could take a break. That was several years ago and I have been able to avoid a repeat since then.
Tubanomicon
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tubanomicon »

@lost: I've read a number of forums where musicians (mainly string and piano players) discuss how regular resistance training energizes their playing and improves their posture, endurance, etc. Some wind instrumentalists have countered their viewpoint by arguing that resistance exercise "depletes their breath." Of course, one person's exercise regimen is unique. But I've found resistance training is a complement to the tuba. That extra level of strength not only improves my breath support and playing; it also improves my frame of mind.

@Bill: Thanks for clarifying that point. I was just curious. :)

--Arnold Jacobs
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

I come from a very athletic background having been in gymnastics and wrestling in high school as well as being an avid gym goer and I have to believe that being physically fit has helped push me over and above my colleagues, obviously it's not the only reason but I feel like its helped me alot as far as diaphragm strength and endurance as well as aiding my air control. I go to the gym just about every day, I don't think I would say that you need to go every day to get benefits but if you have the mental discipline to regularly exercise you probably will develop the discipline to practice regularly also aside from that I see plenty of reasons why it would help all sorts of aspects of your playing and none that would suggest it would hurt. So why not get in shape and help destroy the tubby tuba player stereotype?
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

MaryAnn wrote:My main problem is having the strength to hoist and carry the thing, and for that I joined a Medicare HMO that has those machines that strengthen your muscles. That, and the fact that I actually slipped and fell off a step stool the other day (I was well padded with warm clothing and am sore but nothing broken) has made me really center in on the strength thing.
I was going to say, if for no other reason, being able to carry a tuba safely and easily -- carry it in and out of the house, lift it into the car, maneuver it to the gig -- is worth being in better shape. I've become less fit than in my active duty days, and I noticed the extra effort I needed one night when I was getting my tuba out of my car.

My job in the Marine D&B pretty much required that I stayed in good shape. When I was at my best, it was easier (not "easy", just "easier") to stay focused and relaxed while moving around the field. My posture was better, my breathing was more manageable, and I could be more consistent through our twelve-hour rehearsal days.

Playing in a concert setting, especially sitting down, simply isn't anywhere near as taxing. But if being in good shape helps my breathing*, helps me carry the horn, and generally makes things easier, count me in.

*(we're tuba players -- we already breathe differently from anyone else, and no amount of bodybuilding will change that)
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

At a recent Army Tuba Conference Al Baer spoke of the benefits of carrying his case containing two tubas up five flights of stairs in that place where he works.
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubeast »

I can´t see how well developed abdominal muscles and a nice, firm butt plus a well trained heart and General athleticism could stand in the way of being a great Tubist.
It seems plausible to me, though, that excess body mass slowing down free movement of diaphragm and/or rib cage as well as clotted capillary venes in brain and facial muscles (due to obesity-induced diabetes) might.

Being far from underweight, I´ve been going to a gym twice a week for 1 1/2 years now.
Simple exercises using body mass and ordinary, hand-held weights do it for me.
NO products of mechanical engineering applied here.

Used to suffer from back pain because of bad sitting habits in the office.
While those habits have remained, the pain has gone, completely, and within two weeks of working out. Since I haven´t altered my eating Habits (reasonable mixture of healthy and not-so-healthy Food/beverages), my body weight hasn´t changed at all, but it has altered its distribution, slightly ;-)

Fitness WILL do You good, which others have posted already:
Absence of pain will enhance focus on music rather than body quirks.
Overall oxigen supply to all tissues is enhanced and will benefit General alertness.

Generally speaking, a body kept REASONABLY in shape will enhance one´s chances to remain integrated in a joyous, independent life at high age.
That in itself seems a great idea to me, no matter what effects it may have on my playing.
Hans
Melton 46 S
1903 or earlier GLIER Helicon, customized Hermuth MP
2009 WILLSON 6400 RZ5, customized GEWA 52 + Wessex "Chief"
MW HoJo 2011 FA, Wessex "Chief"
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

For the New Year I have sworn off tallboys and am sticking with 12oz light beers exclusively.

My upper register has already improved!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
tubapix
bugler
bugler

Post by tubapix »

A little off topic but the concert band I play in has 2 elderly people with emphysema. One clarinet and one tenor sax. They are both on oxygen generators. Both doctors recommend they continue playing to keep their lungs as open as possible.
1989 Yamaha YBB 641 (4R)
1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

tubapix wrote:A little off topic but the concert band I play in has 2 elderly people with emphysema. One clarinet and one tenor sax. They are both on oxygen generators. Both doctors recommend they continue playing to keep their lungs as open as possible.
Yes, we have a tenor sax player in the same situation. And, yes, even for me, one of the reasons I came back to brass ten years ago was due to the manifestation of a genetic clotting disorder. My doctor agreed: keeping the vital capacity up as much as possible might help sustain me if I get another clot in my lungs.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
sethbrown
lurker
lurker

Post by sethbrown »

Back when I was in college, I felt that swimming was beneficial due to breathing being such an important aspect. In addition, it is just a healthy workout in general. I don't have that access to a pool anymore, so i just try to run (helpful, but not quite like swimming).

Though I would lift, I would avoid doing anything that would work on my abs or intercostal rib muscles. Though I'm sure the effect is minimal, I didn't want to do anything that would prevent my lungs from being as efficient as possible!
Willson F 3200 RZ-5
VMI BBb 3302
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

lost wrote:Intercostal muscles help your chest move to breathe more efficiently. How would developing those impact your playing?
Might make you play too loudly. :tuba:

I usually hear, "More tuba, please," only once. :oops:
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I took the point about intercostals to be, would want to avoid any sort of "muscle bound" condition, like the guys who can lift prodigious weights but can't scratch their back. If intercostals are underdeveloped for their purpose, breathing more would be something to try.