Information about Army Tuba Conference

performances, conferences, auditions, etc
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Information about Army Tuba Conference

Post by scottw »

Anyone who has been here before: Where is the best place to stay, considering ease of getting there, cost, etc.? :D
There seems to be a hotel on base but it may just be for military temporary housing?
Thanks!
Bearin' up!
pgym
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Information about Army Tuba Conference

Post by pgym »

Hilton Garden and Sheraton Pentagon City are within a (long) stone's throw of Fort Meyer.

As to cost: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59233&p=496847&#p496847" target="_blank ...

Don't take legal advice from a lawyer on the Internet. I'm a lawyer but I'm not your lawyer.
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

The Raddison on Jefferson Davis Hwy/ US 1 is within a 10-12 minute drive, and has some good restaurants within walking distance. Plus, they have a handy place where I can park a tall van.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

scottw wrote:Anyone who has been here before: Where is the best place to stay, considering ease of getting there, cost, etc.? :D
There seems to be a hotel on base but it may just be for military temporary housing?
Thanks!
There is a hotel on post but it requires military ID, and it tends to fill up. I've stayed there and it was an excellent choice but pricey (the cost is tied to what government per diem rates will pay in the area.) I don't remember offhand but I would guess it's in the $190 per night range, which is equivalent to what local hotels will quote you. But as noted you can get much cheaper deals.

Be aware that there is extra security on the gates. They will check your background so allow extra time. If you have bad stuff on your record you are probably not getting in.
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

To those that have used Priceline: What is the furthest away from the base you have been placed?
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
pgym
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pgym »

Farthest I've ever been placed is Sheraton Pentagon City.

Haven't had to use Priceline since my bro & sil moved to McLean, VA, but back when I did you could bid on a particular hotel or hotels.

Don't take legal advice from a lawyer on the Internet. I'm a lawyer but I'm not your lawyer.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I looked at the conference's web site, and I saw only performances and group warmups and such. I didn't see anything about vendors. Are there vendors at this conference? Maybe next year I can schedule my Virginia vacation along with this conference. This year it's in March, already scheduled.
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

MaryAnn wrote:Are there vendors at this conference?
There are vendors at this conference, yes. Quite a few, actually. This is a great place to buy horns and equipment as you don't pay taxes on base.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Anyone know the vendor schedule and hours for the elephant room??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

You may want to bring your passport - some state driver's licenses are no longer accepted as proof of citizenship as of this year, a requirement for getting on the base.

More here: https://www.dhs.gov/secure-drivers-licenses
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Three Valves wrote:Anyone know the vendor schedule and hours for the elephant room??
Asked in the other thread -- the exhibits open at noon Friday. They normally stop selling just in time for the evening concerts Friday and Saturday nights (they start packing up around 1700 Saturday).
Jeff Keller
bugler
bugler

Post by Jeff Keller »

Looking forward to seeing all of you that are traveling to the Workshop this year. Please, Please, Please allow for extra time to get on base.

J
The United States Army Band, "Pershing's Own"
PT-6S
MW2250
brattom
pro musician
pro musician

Post by brattom »

Looks like there are a couple of threads going on about this weekend's workshop. I'll try to check on those every day.

As far as vendors, the short explanation is that the vendor space is provided by FMWR http://www.jbmhhmwr.com/" target="_blank. Due to ethics guidelines we can't endorse any particular company, brand, etc. As such, we won't post any specific information about vendors on our web site. This site is probably one of the better sources to get that information.

Also, the access control really is more extensive this year. We don't control it, and your experience may vary day-to-day or person by person. If you are a foreign national, even with a "green card", make sure to bring your passport.

Tom Bratten
Kory101
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Kory101 »

I'm at the conference but don't have a car. How is it getting through the gates with Uber or Taxi?