Tennessee Tech - Tuba Graduate Assistantship

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
TubaChavez
lurker
lurker

Tennessee Tech - Tuba Graduate Assistantship

Post by TubaChavez »

Hello!
My name is Jesse Chavez. I am the current Graduate Assistant for R. Winston Morris at Tennessee Tech University. I am finishing up my studies this semester, and the Department of Music is looking for a new GA for the position. The opportunity to study with a legend like Professor Morris cannot be overstated, and the Brass Arts Quintet is a professional ensemble of the highest caliber. The degree program is run through the education department and is a unique experience: you have lots of flexibility with how you want to structure your class load.

I’m sure there are lots of great “non-traditional” masters level students out there (with some time spent performing in the real world) who would be perfect for this position! Read below for full details and how to contact Professor Morris. I am available to answer any questions you may have about the school, degree, ensembles, etc. Just email me at JLChavez21@students.tntech.edu" target="_blank" target="_blank

Below is the letter from Mr. Morris describing the program and requirements. Good luck!...

Dear Colleagues,

The TUBA GA at TTU is now OPEN...

We need a VERY mature, VERY strong Masters Level candidate. Candidates with “real life” experiences will be especially welcomed.

Performance requirements are of the highest order with the TTU Faculty Brass Quintet: the Brass Arts Quintet (one of the oldest faculty quintets in existence, over 50 years). The opportunity to perform with this group cannot be over stated. Candidates must be professional quality performers. Wind Ensemble, Symphony Orchestra and other chamber groups are also possibilities.

Studio requirements consist of major responsibilities in the Tuba/Euphonium Studio. Final candidates must be very mature and capable of serving as a role model for a very advanced and active undergraduate program. The studio this year consists of eleven euphonium majors and over 15 tuba majors. Top students are very advanced as indicated by their recent fall performance:https://soundcloud.com/user-688428074

The TTU Music Dept. is unusual in that it is located in the College of Education. Thus this degree is strongly Music Education oriented but the course work is flexible and allows numerous performance opportunities. Previous students have been successful at the doctoral level at major institutions.

Please see the announcement below and forward to anyone you think interested.

Thank you very much for your assistance. Have potential candidates contact me directly.

R. Winston Morris
Professor of Music: Tuba/Euphonium
Tennessee Tech University

ANNOUNCEMENT:
TUBA/EUPHONIUM STUDIO
GRADUATE ASSISTANTSHIP -- TUBA
RESPONSIBILITIES:

* Perform as tubist with the TTU faculty brass quintet, the Brass Arts Quintet
https://www.facebook.com/BrassArtsQuintet" target="_blank" target="_blank
https://www.tntech.edu/education/music/ ... s-quintet/" target="_blank" target="_blank

* Assist in the tuba/euphonium studio involving but not limited to:
Maintaining the Tuba/Euphonium Library.
Assisting with select chamber ensembles as conductor/director/coach.
Perform with the Tennessee Tech Tuba Ensemble and assist with that group.
Assist with special projects of the TTTE (tours, performances, clinics, etc.).

Depending on the specifics of the curriculum and the necessity to be enrolled in a “major” ensemble each semester, the option of performing with the Tennessee Tech Wind Ensemble and/or the Bryan Symphony Orchestra will be available.

The curriculum to be followed is the “M.A. in Curriculum & Instruction, Music Concentration.” The candidate must meet all admission requirements for the Master of Arts degree within the College of Education.

The specifics of this degree are online through the College of Education at this link:
https://www.tntech.edu/assets/userfiles ... usic_w.pdf" target="_blank" target="_blank

All Tuition Paid. Stipend of $650 per month for 9 months for two years. Must submit application by March 1st, 2017. Audition required prior to application. Audition will consist of submitted recorded materials. Successful candidate(s) will receive an invitation for a live solo audition and audition with the Brass Arts Quintet. Quintet music will be provided prior to audition.

Due to the performance and studio requirements, candidates for this GA need to be mature professional quality performers and capable of strong leadership within the studio while serving as a role model for undergraduate students.

Interested candidates need to submit a recommendation from their applied instructor or other qualified evaluator and a CD recording of appropriate solo and chamber material as soon as possible to:

Professor R. Winston Morris
Tuba/Euphonium Studio
Box 5045 Dept. of Music
Cookeville, TN 38506

Questions may be submitted to Professor Morris at wmorris@tntech.edu" target="_blank" target="_blank.