Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Post by Wyvern »

MedicineMan wrote:Have you considered offering a rotary version of the Wyvern?
I think we already have one joining the Wessex range during 2017, our new TC491 Anton CC.

Bell: 450mm
Bore 20-21mm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Heliconer wrote:I'd like a 4 valve, front action version of the Boston BBb. Perhaps even a CC version.
Bore is .660
What is so special about that tuba?
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

Post by Heliconer »

Wyvern wrote:
Heliconer wrote:I'd like a 4 valve, front action version of the Boston BBb. Perhaps even a CC version.
Bore is .660
For me, mine has been one of the most pleasing quintet horns I've ever used. It's compact, and despite the small bore, and as a result of the large bows and bell throat, I never find myself approaching an edgy tone with it. Response is nice, and the intonation is very pleasant.

I'm a fan of alternate fingers, so the idea of one of these with 4 valves makes me drool.
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

Post by Heliconer »

Wyvern wrote:
Bore is .660
In regards to what is actually special about it, Boston is the earliest known American Manufacturer of BBb Tubas. This model is where it all started for us here on this side of the pond.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Is a Thor clone a possibility?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

UncleBeer wrote:Is a Thor clone a possibility?
I think the answer to that one is no! Our current excellent TC590 Wyvern CC is of similar size and fills that slot in the range. Also I do not like making clones of currently available models.
MedicineMan
lurker
lurker

Post by MedicineMan »

Wyvern wrote:
MedicineMan wrote:Have you considered offering a rotary version of the Wyvern?
I think we already have one joining the Wessex range during 2017, our new TC491 Anton CC.

Bell: 450mm
Bore 20-21mm
Sorry, I completely forgot about the Anton. Looking forward to checking it out!

On another front, are there any plans on the horizon for new F tuba models?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

MedicineMan wrote: On another front, are there any plans on the horizon for new F tuba models?
We hope to have a new piston valve F tuba in the not too distant future. Wessex tuba designer Chuck Nickles is working on it.
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by circusboy »

I'd love to see a Gnome with piston valves and a bell-front design. Seems to me that would be the perfect jazz horn. I know it would need to be larger than the current Gnome, but that's a horn that has room for 'larger.'

And that Sonorophone on page 4 looks pretty dang cool.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

The US site lists an Eb sousaphone while the UK site lists a Bb.

Does that make sense??
MoCoTubaBone
lurker
lurker

Post by MoCoTubaBone »

This.
Conn 2J CC wrote:Jonathan - Thank you for your company's contributions to today's low brass instrument market, especially. This may be getting really picky, but I wonder if there would be a significant market for an F Contrabass Trombone with specifications close to the following -

1. Key of F, with inline Db (lower lever) and C (thumb lever) rotary valves. Obviously, this would be an F/Db/C/A Contra that's a perfect fourth lower than the standard Bb double-valve Bass Trombones marketed today (Bb/Gb/F/D). Many Trombonists might find adapting from a Bb Bass Bone to an F Contra like this to be more to their liking.

2. Dual bore 15.6 mm (.615") to 16.13 mm (.635") hand slide. I took these bore sizes from the larger side of your BBb Contrabass Trombone's slide, and the bore of a Mirafone BBb Contrabass Trombone slide, respectively.

3. C valve bore size - 16.66 mm (.656") and Db valve bore size - 17.49 mm (.687"). Both are clearly very common bore sizes for Tuba valves, and hopefully logical bore size increases from the dual bore slide suggestions.

Hopefully such specifications (15.6/16.13/16.66/17.49 mm = .615/.635/.656/.687") would create an F Contrabass Trombone that would sound distinctly larger than a Bb Bass Trombone, without sounding tubby or un-Trombone-like. On the other hand, I may also be proving that I should just sit down and enjoy what the rest of you are discussing, because I really don't understand instrument design at all. I just thought I'd put this out here for consideration. Thank you for your time.
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

Perhaps a Cimbasso in BBb or CC. +1 for a 6/4 CC as well. Maybe a Haggman valve bass trombone.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Hagman valve bass trombone would be nice, definitely a cheaper option then other brands
joshealejo
3 valves
3 valves

Post by joshealejo »

+1 for Hagman bass bone!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Three Valves wrote:The US site lists an Eb sousaphone while the UK site lists a Bb.

Does that make sense??
Both BBb and Eb sousaphone are available in UK or USA. Some discrepancies have crept in with two websites.

However we have been very busy on building new website which I hope will go live next week (just finalising now). That will be one website replacing both of the old - mobile friendly to view on your phone, much better arranged to browse and search, more information, shopping cart covering everything, new models and with absolutely stunning new photos, so good you feel you can touch the horns. Look out for announcement of when the new site is up.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Great news, thanks!!
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

Another idea would be a copy of the Marzan CC tubas with the slant rotor set up, or a copy of the B&S Neptune.
Jess Haney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jess Haney »

Rudolph meinl 6/4 BBb
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Eb and Bb key bugles
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

Yamaha YCB661. Best tuba they ever made.