WTB CC tuba for College

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
mwlorrison893
bugler
bugler

WTB CC tuba for College

Post by mwlorrison893 »

Hey everyone! I am a tuba major and Im searching for a CC tuba for my college years. I don't need anything expensive or pretty. I want something that is a great deal and plays very well. I'm not picky on brand except I have never played a Miraphone that I liked so no Miraphones. (sorry miraphone fans) Anyways, I play Bb most the time and will be teaching kids Bb once I get my degree. I just need a CC to satisfy school. I will more than likely be selling it once I finish my degree.
Thank you
chhite

Re: WTB CC tuba for College

Post by chhite »

Where are you located? Might help us direct you to a seller.
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jeopardymaster »

I can recommend Tim Olt's Gnagey, posted on tubenet right now. GREAT horn.
Gnagey CC, VMI Neptune 4098 CC, Mirafone 184-5U CC and 56 Bb, Besson 983 EEb and euphonium, King marching baritone, Alexander 163 BBb, Conn 71H/112H bass trombone, Olds Recording tenor trombone.
tubagr8
bugler
bugler

Post by tubagr8 »

PM sent
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=76774" target="_blank
Dan Bethel
Retired Navy Musician
BBb 1920 Martin
Wessex Eb Tuba ‘Tubby’
mwlorrison893
bugler
bugler

Post by mwlorrison893 »

Casa Grossa,
I can not fully answer that question. I have honestly asked several times and I'm not for sure what type answer I get because it is never really clear. I'm in for music ed. I have ZERO desire to be a performing arts major. I've played tuba for 15 years and its always been Bb or Eb. What drives me crazy is when some new music is passed out in brass band, I play a Bb but literally read the C part in bass clef. School systems teach Bb and rarely Eb. I've never seen a C tuba in a high school public setting and I"ve helped out with high schools since 2007 when I graduated. I have a Conn 25J BBb but my professor really is wanting to sway people to a CC. Yet again, I still don't know 100% why. I hate to be blunt about it but I might just find myself a better BBb for recitals and solo work for school and then be done with it. The syllabus only states I must have my own horn, not what key it is in. I will be at the tuba conference in D.C. next week with fellow classmates to try out some different horns. I also don't want to fork out "X" amount of money for something that will 95% only be used in college.
Also, I am located in Charleston, WV.
Tubanomicon
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tubanomicon »

May I ask what budget you've set for yourself?
“Very little strength can produce much motion of air. Learn about air as motion.”

--Arnold Jacobs
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Yeah key doesn't matter. When I left my university in 2010, most of the music Ed majors owned a BBb. Some really nice BBb horns at that ( PT605, Willson 3100, miraphone 191).. and all of the performance majors (except me) owned CC horns. So it's really all about if you want to make the switch and learn the new fingerings or not. I was a performance major but I knew I didn't want to go the orchestral route, but instead more of modern stuff/ brass band/small chamber group/jazz/sousaphone route, so I bought a professional BBb horn. A BBb will suit you just fine for a career of teaching school kids tuba and sousa. Don't get rid of the 25J though! That's the dream concert horn and community band horn! But yes, there are great BBb horns out there if you don't think the switch to CC is necessary.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Another interesting note: I was trying out CC horns at a convention in hopes of finding the "one". Well I tried out the Willson 3050 CC and 3100 BBb side by side. I loved the way the BBb played and something about the tone and feel just sounded better. My professor agreed. I bought the BBb for college.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Tubanomicon
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tubanomicon »

“Very little strength can produce much motion of air. Learn about air as motion.”

--Arnold Jacobs
bgossett3665
bugler
bugler

Post by bgossett3665 »

Hello,

Im selling my Besson 995 5v CC, check out the post if your still in the market!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=78262
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

I am selling my 5/4 CC tuba as well. It is not a "name brand horn" rather a Jinbao copy but it sounds good and it is affordable. Email me for details. It is a M&M 4500
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
biscuitsdonovan
bugler
bugler

Post by biscuitsdonovan »

Hey I have a pt20p for 6,700$ pm if interested
"Work smarter, not harder" - Zig Ziglar
B&S PT-20P-S
PT-64s