Army Tuba Conference

performances, conferences, auditions, etc
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Army Tuba Conference

Post by Art Hovey »

I have not seen anything about it here, but there is more red tape involved this year. Check the website:

http://www.usarmyband.com

They recommend that you pre-register, and you need to download and fill in a questionnaire to help get thru the security checkpoint.

It's not difficult, but you could run into delays getting in if you don't do those things in advance.
Doug Elliott
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Army Tuba Conference

Post by Doug Elliott »

They said that last year, but it was the same as it always has been.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

I downloaded it and filled it out. I also registered at the Evenbrite site and printed out a ticket, even though I think those won't do much good.

Here's why: It was easy in the comfort of my office, where I would rather do it than sitting in my car with the doors open in sub-freezing weather.

I never want to make predictions about security activities based on how it was last year.

Rick "also: leave plenty of time for getting through the gate" Denney
Kory101
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Kory101 »

I'm at the conference but don't have a car. How is it getting through the gates with Uber or Taxi
brattom
pro musician
pro musician

Post by brattom »

Kory101 wrote:I'm at the conference but don't have a car. How is it getting through the gates with Uber or Taxi
Taxi and Uber drivers have to go through the same process as anyone, so you may have some problems getting them to take you on post. You might find it easier to get dropped off outside the gate. Even if they pull in intending to turn around, they may be forced to go through the security checkpoint.

I'm guessing it might be possible to call a taxi dispatcher and see if they have a driver that is already cleared. Maybe you can link up with another TubeNet-er?
Kory101
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Kory101 »

Thanks for the reply! They allow walk through to get on the base?
brattom
pro musician
pro musician

Post by brattom »

You can walk on post via the 2nd Street gate (Hatfield). You would be subject to the same security protocols as people arriving in cars, aside from the car inspection.

If you have a US DOD ID you can walk in any of the gates.

Tom Bratten
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

The first time I attended (back in '99), I took Metro and walked on base from both the Rosslyn and the Arlington Cemetery stops. It was a hike, but I didn't bring my horn, and I got to sit down a lot anyway.

Can pedestrians still come on base via both the north gate (by the Marine Corps War Memorial/Netherlands Carillon) and the cemetery gate by the chapel?