Jim Pandolfi Brass Chat!...and Coupon Code

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Jim Pandolfi Brass Chat!...and Coupon Code

Post by MonsterOil »

OK, I know, I know, you're not into trumpet videos, BUT.....Jim Pandolfi isn't just any trumpet player.

He has a unique view on brass pedagogy that could turn everything on it's head. Basically he says that taking huge breaths from your belly, saying 'oooohhhhhh', and using tons of air are all exactly the wrong way to play an instrument. And this means tuba too!

I'll let him explain:

http://www.BrassChats.com" target="_blank

Also, 10% off all orders in February with code 'LubeIsInTheAir'.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Re: Jim Pandolfi Brass Chat!...and Coupon Code

Post by Michael Bush »

Very entertaining!

I wish this thread were out in the main forum where more people would see it. I think there are some things in that interview that would be well worth a broader conversation here.

Some of what he says is clearly applicable to the tuba, like the stuff about breathing. A. Jacobs said similar things.

On the other hand, I have a suspicion a lot of tuba players (me included, until better instructed at least) find the most resonant sound at the bottom of the pitch rather than the top. Some of the players with the greatest life and resonance in their sound (Joanna Ross Hersey comes to mind) will go quite noticeably flat at times, especially as soloists, and no one minds a bit because the sound has so much life in it.
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Re: Jim Pandolfi Brass Chat!...and Coupon Code

Post by MonsterOil »

Please post in the main forum if you like!

Rules for sponsors are very strict around here, and I don't feel comfortable putting it there since it is a company sponsored video.