4 Valve Martin on Ebay

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

4 Valve Martin on Ebay

Post by edsel585960 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1936-Martin-4-v ... 2358803796" target="_blank I know these don't turn up every day, but $8500. :shock:
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: 4 Valve Martin on Ebay

Post by Ken Crawford »

Yeah, cut that in half and you'd almost be there...But you never know maybe he'll find somebody crazy enough.
saxophyte
bugler
bugler

Post by saxophyte »

not original lacquer
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

This part from the description is interesting:
"It will also include a 20inch upright bell made by Kanstul and engraved to exact standards to match the original engraving of the bell front."

Still, not even close to a reasonable price. But I do like that first valve slide ring.
thejester10276
bugler
bugler

Post by thejester10276 »

Same seller as that huttl tuba, the "once in a lifetime buy" tuba... :roll:
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

This Martin came to Central Florida via Ebay from Vince Giordano(Cotton Club Boardwalk Empire) about 10 years ago purchased by the same guy who bought that big Huttl(not the seller). I played it quite a bit and had the first valve tuner that Dick Akright(Best Music in Oakland) built for a York I used to own put on it. With sewing machine oil on the valves it's a killer. I believe that the straight leadpipe was a later custom thing, they usually have a short leadpipe and require two bits, but it works great and I found it very comfortable to sit with. The pitch is good and you just don't see these for sale. I've also never seen one with that big of a bell front but it does match the horn. I, until quite recently, was considering trying to get it back, get a valve job, and riding off into the sunset but I guess I'll just have to make do with my 3 valve. It's a really nice horn and I hope it finds a new owner. Ed
The Singing Whale
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

edsel585960 wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1936-Martin-4-v ... 2358803796" target="_blank I know these don't turn up every day, but $8500. :shock:
$8900 with 'flat rate shipping'
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Needs a valve job as well? This hulk isn't worth more than $2500 max. At $8500 it would be the buy of a lifetime, a lifetime of regret.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

They added pics of the Kanstul bell. Nice!
The hand engraving is awesome.
There also pics of the homebrew cases.

Lost, I like your economic analysis of the horn. But I doubt they'll see even that much for the horn.
If it already had the valve job done, I could see $3500.
-Mr. Pessimist
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

Relisted.

$400 for shipping. Are you kidding me? Have you ever had to pay $400 for shipping a tuba? I have shipped fewer than some but more than most, and have never had to come anywhere near that neighborhood. Even with two bells, that is ridiculous.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Who's your freight carrier? Did you pay for a full pallet? It would be great to get more information here, from people who've done this.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

KiltieTuba wrote:I think the seller is using a common carrier
Just to save anyone else the trouble, who might have to look that up, I found that truckers are common carriers (or can be, anyway), and UPS and Fedex Freight hold operating authority as motor common carriers. But not UPS or Fedex parcel services. I had the same impression of what "flat rate freight" means - "Truck freight."

I don't know if the usual advice to pack the tuba and case separately, applies so much to this kind of detachable bell scenario, but that would make a pretty big pile.