The Inception of an OTS!

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

The Inception of an OTS!

Post by Wyvern »

Here is a little taster of a new model to come as prototype comes together for new Wessex OTS (over the shoulder) saxhorn in Eb.

In fact it will not be just an OTS, as we are making with two leadpipes for playing over the shoulder, or upright, so can be played in two configurations. The bell will also be detachable with screw fitting like french horn for easy transportation.

I see this as much more than just an OTS for civil war re-enactment bands. It's distinctive more direct unique saxhorn tone, with playing in upright form, will make it ideal for playing in brass quintets, small ensembles, orchestras and for solos where a non-tubby, less tuba tone is desired.

The sound is already half way to an ophicleide making it better for playing such parts in orchestra than a tuba. I am going to put this to the test myself for performance of Mendelssohn Elijah later this year. However I think we might be able to make even more ophicleide sounding and get into key of F by the adding of tone hole in the bell. My observation is, a lot of the distinctive ophicleide sound is air escaping through tone holes, so saxhorn with tone hole will likely sound nearer to ophicleide? Will find out. But that is future development. First of all look out for this wonderful new OTS Saxhorn complete with string linkage.

I am excited to try out completed prototype during visit to factory in late March.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: The Inception of an OTS!

Post by bisontuba »

Jonathan-
Very Nice....I know you saw my old Graves 4v OTS 'convertible' tuba while at your visit to Mark's house this month!
The tone hole in the bell idea I would stay away from-just IMHO.
I'll be talking about OTS instruments (amongst many other types), including 'convertibles' and even convertibles with screw bells, in my presentation THE EARLY AMERICAN TUBA at NERTEC ( a repeat of my Boston MFA talk).
Mark
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

bisontuba wrote:The tone hole in the bell idea I would stay away from-just IMHO.
Interested in why you say that Mark? The OTS will be unadulterated and as near to original as possible.

I just have idea of addressing the issue of valved ophicleide with much the same components as a secondary horn. All that is risked trying is waste of a bell cutting hole, if it does not work. I only mentioned as someone here may have experience of adding tone holes for pitch.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Wyvern wrote:
bisontuba wrote:The tone hole in the bell idea I would stay away from-just IMHO.
Interested in why you say that Mark? The OTS will be unadulterated and as near to original as possible.

I just have idea of addressing the issue of valved ophicleide with much the same components as a secondary horn. All that is risked trying is waste of a bell cutting hole, if it does not work. I only mentioned as someone here may have experience of adding tone holes for pitch.

Jonathan-
Good.....just keep the OTS an OTS. It is conical, and if a valved instrument is wanted for the sound of a 'valve Ophicleide,' the horn should be more cylindrical...just my thoughts....
Mark