Shostakovich Excerpts book, if it exists.

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Shostakovich Excerpts book, if it exists.

Post by EMC »

Just looking for something along these lines, since you really cant get them anymore as far as i know.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Shostakovich Excerpts book, if it exists.

Post by bort »

Question -- is the copyright issue just in the US, or international? I seem to remember buying an excerpt book in Germany about 5 years ago that had Shostakovich excerpts in it. Maybe I'm wrong about that though. Will have to check tomorrow.
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

It might be copyright issues, i personally have not been able to find any Shost excerpts at all online so far.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

It's definitely a copyright thing... Just not sure if it's a US or international rule.

Also, I forgot to check my book. Will do that this weekend sometime.
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

bort wrote:It's definitely a copyright thing... Just not sure if it's a US or international rule.
Shostakovich's music is still under copyright everywhere as he only died 42 years ago. I usually go to the NY Phil score database and copy excerpts I want out of the score (or I look at a score at a university library).
Last edited by thevillagetuba on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Hrmm... I swear there's some Shostakovich in the book I have. Maybe I'm wrong though, I could be thinking of my Torchinsky 20th Century book (which is also extremely rare and out of print).
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

The Keith Brown "Orchestral Excerpts from the Symphonic Repertoire for Trombone and Tuba" include a couple of Shostakovich works. Volume II features a couple licks from Shosty 1, Volume III features Shosty 5, and Volume VII features Shosty 9.

There are lots of other meaty Shostakovich excerpts, though. Tuba solo in Symphony #13, moving 16th passage in the scherzo from #7, etc. The best way is to buy a pocket score (or look at one in a nearby music library) and transcribe the tuba part.

Sometimes you will find Shostakovich excerpts in .PDF form inside of excerpt packets for auditions (example). Whenever you hear of an audition, look at the audition rep to see if there are any non-standard excerpts and download the .PDFs for future use.
[/post]
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

If you can find a copy of Torchinsky's 20th Century Orchestral Scores for Tuba it's got important licks from

The Golden Age Ballet
First Symphony
Fifth Symphony
Seventh Symphony
Ninth Symphony
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

There ARE copyright issues, BUT there are a lot of LEGALLY PURCHASED excerpt collections around. You have to do a bit of sleuthing....
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

windshieldbug wrote:If you can find a copy of Torchinsky's 20th Century Orchestral Scores for Tuba it's got important licks from

The Golden Age Ballet
First Symphony
Fifth Symphony
Seventh Symphony
Ninth Symphony
Okay, that's the one I have and what I was thinking about. Neat book!