Impressions on Jupiter Tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
sousaphonehero
bugler
bugler

Impressions on Jupiter Tubas

Post by sousaphonehero »

I have heard mixed things about them. Any experience?
There is one on ebay right now for $3000 brand new (4+1 CC)
Good deal
Thanks for the feedback
Miraphone 186 CC 5v
Conn 21J
Buescher 4/4 Eb
Amati Kaiser Baritone
Wessex Trombone
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Impressions on Jupiter Tubas

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Jupiter makes really good trumpets, but I don't think their tuba game is that strong. Personally, I've never had a good experience with Jupiter horns. I've only played the 4/4 front action BBb though and the sousaphone. Both were hard to play in tune and really thin metal. Easy to get splatty on. Just my opinion.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

The modern Jupiter tubas I have played where thicker and heavier than most.

They appear solidly constructed for the public school market.

(582/482 4 piston BBb)
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Toobist
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Toobist »

I've recently become a convert. In fact, I'm recently a Jupiter artist. But please understand, I changed my opinion on the line before ever being approached.

In the past (and I think that is where most people might be collecting their opinions from), I wasn't a fan of Jupiter tubas whatsoever, but since they've introduced their XO series and have made several changes to their low brass designs (like fixing the length of the 2nd-valve slide on their 4/4 BBb), I've grown to really appreciate them.

For students, I love to suggest the JTU1110 (Previous 582L) and the JTU1010 (Previous 482L). They play well in-tune and, especially for the money, hold up against other intermediate horns. The 1010 really barks if you give it some air--nice little horn. The valve sections on these come off with an Allen key! Imagine the time and, therefore, money you save for cleanings and dent work! The cases (included) come with wheels. That's a big deal when you're trucking these things around (trust me on this, parents).

The horn I own is the JSP1110 (Previous 590L) Sousaphone. I'm far too lazy to mess with three valves now. The four-valve horn is the only one I considered. This thing plays like a tuba! It's hefty with the extra tubing, but I wouldn't think the three-banger would be light either. There's always the trade-off, right? Anyway, besides my CC fingers being forced to play BBb for the first time in 25 years, the horn plays beautifully. I was so impressed as I haven't had great experience with nearly any sousaphones until now (with the exception of very lovely King at NAMM last year).

So, to the OP: $3000 for a general-purpose CC is pretty good. Eventually, like most of us who gig, you'll need more colours on your pallet, but that one will most likely serve for undergrad. Should you end up a career tubist, you'll need more horns, but I'd suggest keeping that one around for general use.

Good luck,
Al
Al Carter
Kitchener, Ontario
Travis99079
bugler
bugler

Post by Travis99079 »

At TMEA recently, I played on the JTU1110 and the JTU1010. Both are BBb horns, and were by far my favorite BBb tubas at the convention. The response and warmth of the sound was very impressive, and all I used was my old Helleberg. I couldn't resist going back to the booth to play the 1110 just for fun. Snappy pistons, too.

That being said, I did try their 4+1 CC at an ITEC once (I think it was a 584), and it felt just a little stuffy. I liked the tone it had and I wasn't offended by any intonation stuff. I greatly preferred the XO CC, but it was of course the professional model. That price is pretty hard to beat for a quality instrument. Good choice for undergrad.
AndyCat
3 valves
3 valves

Post by AndyCat »

Jupiter have recently appointed Stephen Adcock, a long time Yamaha Product Manager in R+D. The brass (especially low brass) can only get better with him on board.
Andy Cattanach, UK
Fodens Band, Intrada Brass Ensemble.
Yamaha Neo BBb x 2 (2011 and 2016), B+H 3v Imperial BBb.
Yamaha YBL613H Bass Trombone.
Mercer and Barker MB5 Cattanach, Yeo Signature Mouthpieces.
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

The worst examples I've played were made were made around 2005-06, the BBb 4/4 tuba and four valve sousa. Both seemed to be really stuffy and hard to play in tune. I've heard they improved some things since then but I can't exactly tell. The newer examples I've played recently didn't seem much better. I am hearing lots of schools and universities have switched to all Jupiter instruments. Either they get good deals on them or people love them! Not sure which.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Post by LCTuba89 »

TUbajohn20J wrote:The worst examples I've played were made were made around 2005-06, the BBb 4/4 tuba and four valve sousa. Both seemed to be really stuffy and hard to play in tune. I've heard they improved some things since then but I can't exactly tell. The newer examples I've played recently didn't seem much better. I am hearing lots of schools and universities have switched to all Jupiter instruments. Either they get good deals on them or people love them! Not sure which.
My guess is good deals. I played Jupiter sousaphones in high school and it was "okay". Played nothing like a Conn or a King though. If I were a band director, I would probably have the old Conns or Kings overhauled one at a time from the worst to least worst. Our community band has a Jupiter 582 and plays "okay" as well, granted it is an early model from 1999. I find the first valve sticks a lot even though it's well oiled and the 5th partial is nearly unusable. Even my 6/4 has better intonation to be honest. So my experience has been "okay" at best with Jupiter instruments.
Melton 2155R 5/4 CC Tuba
Conn International Rotary 4/4 BBb Tuba
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I'm a tuba player and a repairman. I've repaired many Jupiter instruments. And... I think their parts program is probably 2nd only to that of Yamaha. Jupiter has quite a bit of repair parts stock in the US.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
southtubist
bugler
bugler

Post by southtubist »

Approximately 5 years ago I played their 3 valve and 4 valve sousaphones a lot- mostly in a concert setting plus a few parades. I really liked the 4 valve horn. It was easy to play and had good intonation, felt a lot like an old 6/4 Conn BBb but with better intonation. It didn't breakup at high volumes, which I thought was really nice. I used a Houser MK 12, which most people buy to sound loud/nasty with. The shallow cup helped me focus the sound and articulate clearly, and I didn't blast. You don't need to blast when you have a bell front instrument.
MW 45k
Alexander 163CC 5v
Conn 72h, 1G
King 2280
Used to own: MW20 BBb(super old model) 1915 Conn Grand Orchestral BBb, small valve MW 2145
Used to borrow: Miraphone 190 CC, from IAA