Large 4/4 to small 5/4 rotary CC tuba

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Large 4/4 to small 5/4 rotary CC tuba

Post by bort »

Maybe. :!:

I may want to sell my Willson 3050RZ sometime this spring, with the goal of moving onto a slightly smaller tuba. I think know most of what's already posted here on TubeNet... but perhaps there's something not yet listed, other "maybe" people thinking about selling, or someone who might be looking to trade up to a bigger tuba. You never know until you ask!

Here's what I am looking for (and NOT looking for):
-- Rotary CC tuba with 5 valves. Nothing in BBb or with only 4 valves, or any number of piston valves.
-- Nothing Chinese, no Yamaha, no Cerveny
-- Nothing smaller than a Miraphone 188
-- Not a Miraphone 188 (if I want one, I'll buy it new)
-- Preferably something "newer" rather than "older"
-- Budget is right around $8k, or trade for my Willson

I absolutely love the idea of that nearly-new Alexander 163 for sale here, but it may be too far outside of my budget. If there are any other not-so-old Alexander 163's out there, I'd be interested to know.

Anything out there that I might not know about? Send me a PM! Thanks! :tuba:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Large 4/4 to small 5/4 rotary CC tuba

Post by bort »

Bump
RoosterTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by RoosterTuba »

Sooooooooooo is John Cradler's old Cerveny Piggy (modified, w/chronkite bag) out of question? :mrgreen:
Stefan Roose

GA Butler University
Wisemann 5/4 CC Tuba
Mack Brass "PT-15"
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

RoosterTuba wrote:Sooooooooooo is John Cradler's old Cerveny Piggy (modified, w/chronkite bag) out of question? :mrgreen:
Sorry, not interested. I'm just not a Cerveny person, I guess!
RoosterTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by RoosterTuba »

bort wrote:
RoosterTuba wrote:Sooooooooooo is John Cradler's old Cerveny Piggy (modified, w/chronkite bag) out of question? :mrgreen:
Sorry, not interested. I'm just not a Cerveny person, I guess!

Worth a shot!
Stefan Roose

GA Butler University
Wisemann 5/4 CC Tuba
Mack Brass "PT-15"
ohrlund
bugler
bugler

Post by ohrlund »

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to get rid of your Willson?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

ohrlund wrote:If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to get rid of your Willson?
Don't mind at all -- it is simply too big for what I want and need. It is a true 5/4 sized tuba... Very large sound and physically very large. In both respects, I would benefit from something a little smaller and more versatile. The Willson is awesome, but for me, it is "too much."
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I am actually reconsidering the Rudy Meinl 4/4 as an option, too. I really liked the one I had, but sold it because I wanted something bigger. Fast forward to now... and I realize the Rudy was probably a lot better for me than I realized. :oops: Good thing they made more than 1!
Mark Horne
bugler
bugler

Post by Mark Horne »

I responded to your PM. I've been predicting for some time that the Alexander 163 is the horn you are looking for. Tons of "core" I think it defines the German rotary sound. It has a much bigger sound than any 188 I've played. It has similar playing characteristics to the Neptune, with the Neptune being a bit more open at the very low range and a little less flat on the D in the staff. The Alexander is more "focused" and less spread out than the Neptune. Despite the difference in size I feel like I get just as much volume from the Alexander as the Neptune or PCK (admittedly I'm not a power player).
Alexander 163 CC 5V, MW Thor, Mel Culbertson Neptune, B&S Symphonie F 6V
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks Mark. I owe you a reply, which is about half written right now. Definitely makes sense, need to find a way to try a newer 163. Also, newer ones are a bit outside of my price range, but maybe something can be worked out. Really not interested in an older one, although I know there are some good ones.

Thanks again to everyone. Truly appreciate the help!