Musical clipart and multimedia
Samcai8
bugler
bugler

tHOUGHTS oN jORGE sALGUEIRO?

Post by Samcai8 »

"cONCERTO fOR tUBA" -Jorge Salgueiro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLTckqIMbM8

I have to say this is one of, if not the craziest solo I've ever heard.
Has anybody attempted/played this? Thoughts after listening?

The range: Pedal G (8vb on low G) all the way to like 6 ledgers above the staff.

Craziness: Multiphonics, horn slapping, band buzzing on/slapping their mouthpieces, range, 16 minutes of playing (Ralph Vaughan Williams' tuba concerto is ~12.5 min long.),
"slap but playing the note", "from this moment, tuba can play x as slap or C", "the higher possible" (the note just has an arrow pointing upwards), "sing or play", etc.

-Sam
-Sam
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Re: tHOUGHTS oN jORGE sALGUEIRO?

Post by THE TUBA »

The only person other than Sergio Carolino (the commissioning player) that I have seen perform this piece is Tom McCaslin (Calgary Philharmonic). McCaslin (IIRC) played the work with a piano accompaniment at a regional conference a couple years back. I'm sure there's been another player or two to tackle it since then. It is such a crazy piece in terms of technique, expensive to buy, and not widely available, so it makes sense that the work isn't often performed.

I remember when Sergio performed this w/ brass band at the Cincinnati ITEC in 2008 and blew the roof of the place. I hope to hear it again some time--it is a really engaging and impressive piece.
[/post]
Samcai8
bugler
bugler

Post by Samcai8 »

THE TUBA wrote: expensive to buy, and not widely available,
Well... I found this by searching something like "tuba solo" and its' pdf was one of the first to pop up...... :roll:
-Sam
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

I mean purchasing the work legitimately. The work is only sold by one Portuguese publishing company (or via the composer) at a cost of 50.00 € for just the piano reduction. It would probably be more popular if the concerto was cheaper and carried by more sheet music retailers.
[/post]