Mouthpiece plating (other than Anderson)

The bulk of the musical talk
tubacorbin
bugler
bugler

Re: Mouthpiece plating (other than Anderson)

Post by tubacorbin »

Have you checked out GoldChops? A quick search on google about them showed some good reviews on a trumpet forum.

http://www.goldchops.com/32.html" target="_blank
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

ValveSlide wrote:He's smart to recommend them, sorta maybe. They are the industry standard and he probably knows his gold will stick to their silver.

The real question would be, why not just have AP do the whole job!?! :lol:
Big +1!! AP the best.
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

Dillon gold plated a mouthpiece for me last year for $50
Andy
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Tons and tons of local jewelers have contacts for replating, if they don't actually do it themselves.

Since 24K gold is so soft and scratches so easily, why don't most people use lower karat gold alloys for durability?
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

This guy told me a few years ago he didn't see why a tuba mouthpiece would be any different from any other chunk of metal such as he plated all day every day. I ended up deciding the mouthpiece in question wasn't for me anyway, so I didn't try it. But on the face of it he seems to have a point. Not so much with valves or an instrument, but a mouthpiece? I would think it would be worth trying.

Even if you don't want to send it to him, there might well be someone like him local to you who might be worth giving a shot at it.