The bulk of the musical talk
Mike-Johnson-Custom
bugler
bugler

Laskey mouthpieces

Post by Mike-Johnson-Custom »

Hi guys,
I'm not on here regularly anymore.
Can anyone enlighten me to why Laskey mouthpieces are so scarce?
Used ones seem to go within 48 hours.
Many places seem to be out of stock.

Mike
Mike Johnson Custom
http://m-j-c.co.uk
phone:
+44 161 298 5838
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Laskey mouthpieces

Post by Ken Crawford »

I think it's because Mr. Laskey makes all of them himself, very low production instead of mass production. I waited six months for one from BBC.
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

I don't have any actual knowledge of this, but my suspicion is that he may prioritize trumpet mouthpieces over tuba mouthpieces. I know that if I had limited time, I would focus my efforts on larger markets. There are a lot more trumpet (or horn or trombone) players than tuba players.
Andy
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Again, guessing...

But Monette has a similar approach. They make 2 runs of tuba mouthpieces per year. Now, with them, it's ALL to order (no order, no mouthpieces made). Not sure what Laskey's process is though.
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

The new Laskey mouthpieces are listed at $190 from the Laskey website, which is pretty pricey for regular silver-plated mouthpieces. Used Laskey mouthpieces often show up on the secondary market for $50-100 less than the new price. I'm sure there's a list of folks checking the For Sale page every week to see if any Laskeys pop up.
[/post]
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

I knew nothing of Laskey until putting together my Parker mouthpiece. I chose the rim modeled after the Laskey-Helleberg (32.3mm) and it the comfiest, most secure (*to me*) rim I have ever played on.

Maybe Parker's Laskey-inspired stuff is worth checking out if you like this brand, but can't get your hands on the real thing. YMMV
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
tubazach07

Post by tubazach07 »

I didn't see this post or I would of commented here and not the other discussion. Sorry if this is a repeat post. I just talked with Scott Laskey yesterday. He is a great guy and very easy to talk to. I asked some questions regarding his 30H and the schilke helleberg II which he also designed. He said he is finishing up his batch of French horn mouthpieces and then moving onto making some tuba mouthpieces. He guessed around 3 weeks and suggested I put an order in with Baltimore Brass. So I called up Andrew at Baltimore brass and put in an order. Baltimore brass won't charge you until they receive the mouthpieces from Scott Laskey. As far as price I believe Baltimore brass quoted me at $125.00 unless I heard wrong over the phone. I don't believe they are $190.00
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

tubazach07 wrote: As far as price I believe Baltimore brass quoted me at $125.00 unless I heard wrong over the phone. I don't believe they are $190.00
Cool. I was going off the price on the Laskey website. That's a little bit of a better pill to swallow.
[/post]
Jim Brewer
bugler
bugler

Post by Jim Brewer »

I bought a 30B from the Horn Guys, $109 and had it in a week. Very comfortable rim and plays well on my MW.
Jim Brewer
Eastman 832
Meinl Weston model 30 CC #147
Pan American Eb 52J
Selmer Paris K-modified trombone
Shenandoah Conservatory '79
Mike-Johnson-Custom
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike-Johnson-Custom »

Thanks guys
Just checked Horn Guys
No Laskeys to be seen!
Mike Johnson Custom
http://m-j-c.co.uk
phone:
+44 161 298 5838
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Get on the list for the one you want at Baltimore Brass and then just wait.