Solos for BBb

The bulk of the musical talk
bazzelsup
bugler
bugler

Solos for BBb

Post by bazzelsup »

I play for fun. Well past my college years and I'm happily not auditioning for anything. I was hoping for recommendations of your favorite pieces to learn that sit well for a BBb horn. I have the Vaughn Williams, Effie Suite, Thomas Suite, Koetsier and a few others.

I am looking to expand my library of Tuba Literature. What pieces are fun for you to play?
Last edited by bazzelsup on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Solos for BBb

Post by opus37 »

Blue Grace and Just a Thought
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

We are not blessed with a lot of good music. If you don't mind looting other instruments' catalogues, euphonium, trombone, and cello are a good place to start. A pencil and some judgement about what octave will work is all you need. I bought some flute music once, it was not my best decision.
MORE AIR
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubeast »

BLOKE has hinted at oboe concertos a few times over the years. Might be worth a search.
Also I remenber a link to a well known college Tuba instructor who dealt with just THAT subject on his homepage.
I´ll try to come up with a link as soon as I dig it out...
Hans
Melton 46 S
1903 or earlier GLIER Helicon, customized Hermuth MP
2009 WILLSON 6400 RZ5, customized GEWA 52 + Wessex "Chief"
MW HoJo 2011 FA, Wessex "Chief"
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Post by oedipoes »

Bach cello sonatas (not suites) should work on BBb at moderate tempi.
Don't know if there is sheet music available transposed to +/- BBb tuba register.
I played the original version on euphonium, so I guess one octave down on BBb tuba would be ok.
Mayba Imperialbari has something?

Very nice music!
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubeast »

I believe Dave Zerkel MAY have adressed this subject here http://www.ugatubaeuph.com/, but it doesn´t seem to be on there anymore.
Hans
Melton 46 S
bazzelsup
bugler
bugler

Post by bazzelsup »

I've ordered "Just A Thought". Really pretty. Thanks! Still open to more suggestions.
besson900
bugler
bugler

Post by besson900 »

Hi

You wrote that u have some notes but have you play them?You didn't wrote that You need this notes for now or maybe for future playing :)

Just tell us what did You played, we have a lot of tuba pieces but for players on different level.How advanced player You are? :)
bazzelsup
bugler
bugler

Post by bazzelsup »

Moderate skill level. Pieces I'm working on now include:
- Koetsier
- Effie Suite
- Mvt 1 & 2 of Vaughn Williams
- Marcello Sonata
- Thomas Suite

I have these from my undergrad days. While I can't say I have mastered them, I would like some new things that are not off the charts hard or high.

Thanks!
Last edited by bazzelsup on Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

tubeast wrote:I believe Dave Zerkel MAY have adressed this subject here http://www.ugatubaeuph.com/, but it doesn´t seem to be on there anymore.
It is still there (if we're referring to the same things). Zerkel wrote an article about solo literature for contrabass tubas. It is available as a .PDF on the "Document Library" page titled "Do You C What I C." It is a couple years old, so I'm sure there are some new works that have worked into the repertoire, but this article is a great place to start.
[/post]
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubeast »

Yeah, THAT´S the one.
Great source of Information.
Hans
Melton 46 S
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

I've had good fun and audience response to trumpet solos. In particular The Carnival of Venice (Arbans) which I played every night while out with the Clyde McCoy band and From the Shores of the Mighty Pacific. They lay in the same registers on tuba as on trumpet. But that's just my take. Ed
The Singing Whale
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

"A Touch of Tuba" by Art Dedrick is simple and fun, and has a band accompaniment.
Originally published by Kendor, probably out of print, but can be found in some school libraries.
MusikFind
bugler
bugler

Post by MusikFind »

Art Dedrick
A Touch of Tuba
Grade 4
Published by Kendor Music Inc (KN.13190) Tuba solo and piano part $7.50
Tuba and Band POP.
Copy on loan at Chatfield Band Music Lending Library Chatfield, MN 55923, But is missing parts.
http://selco.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US ... TBND_LIMIT" target="_blank" target="_blank

Written in 1959 and dedicated to Harold L. Walters, tubist with the U.S. Navy Band, this varietal showcase features a rubato opening, a cadenza (as written or ad lib), a fast-paced reel in 6/8, and an easy swing section before closing with a brief recap of the first theme.
Sample pages on website.
https://www.kendormusic.com/store/index ... ductId=887" target="_blank" target="_blank
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

It's great. I played it in the eighth grade on our band concert. a definite winner. I still have the music. Ed
The Singing Whale
Uncle Markie
bugler
bugler
Location: Highlands NJ - gateway to the Jersey Shore (Sandy Hook)

Post by Uncle Markie »

Ed -

I put something in the mail for you this morning - my recently completed arrangement of Schumann's Traumerei set for either euphonium or tuba solo with band accompaniment.

Take a big breath and see how slowly you can perform it!

Mark Heter
Mark Heter
1926 Martin Handcraft 3v upright bell front action ; 1933 Martin Handcraft 3v bellfront; King 2341 (old style); King top-action 3v; Bach (King) fiberglass sousaphone.
Travis99079
bugler
bugler

Post by Travis99079 »

Mike Forbes' Cappricio has a version for "low" tubas. His professional recording takes it up high for certain places, but the Kendor Solo Series offers it as a Grade 6 with displaced octaves. Catchy too.