solved

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Lectron
4 valves
4 valves

Re: WTB 5/4 6/4 BBb 5V

Post by Lectron »

Thank you all for chiming in
Thank you to Matt W. who offered a very nice price on a Fafner 5V,
but unfortunately export from US is not very favorable due to currency and tax
Good for US economy, bad for me.

I have narrowed it down to a special order 5V MW Fasolt.
That was what was on top of my short list, but it was tough to keep priorities straight when offered a Siegfried for the same price

Thanks guys

:tuba:
Melton 200 -=- Melton 2141 -=- Cerveny 883 Opera -=- Besson 992 -=- MPCs: 3pcs steel (Sellmansberger/Parker)
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Post by LCTuba89 »

Lectron wrote:I have the BMB 765, and TBH, I am quite happy with it but wants an even more easy blow,
independent 5th and less "king spinn" to empty the horn.
1. You're horn is hard to blow through? Mine seems to suck the air out of me if I give it my all.

2. Independent 5th is something I would agree with too. Granted the dependent 5th is great idea to keep the tone and response unaltered as much as possible with cash register playing, I would have bought a 5 valve horn if it were independent. I like being able to play low B on 235, would make the "Ride" that much easier to play.

3. Why are you having to "king spin" your horn? Take out the mouthpiece, lean the tuba back so that the mouthpipe is facing the floor and press one valve at a time. The spit just comes pouring out. After that, dump the bottom 4th valve slide and dump the main and you're done.
Melton 2155R 5/4 CC Tuba
Conn International Rotary 4/4 BBb Tuba
Lectron
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lectron »

1. The horn has less accesible low register than many other horns. I would be talking of the octave below what you in your post refer to as low ☺. Has a lot of other very nice qualities.

2. We agree on something.

3. I SIT, I DRAIN HORN.....I DON'T MOVE IT AROUND LIKE A CIRCUS ARTIST ;-)
If spit valves can't do it, there's either not enough or in the wrong places :-)
Melton 200 -=- Melton 2141 -=- Cerveny 883 Opera -=- Besson 992 -=- MPCs: 3pcs steel (Sellmansberger/Parker)
Lectron
4 valves
4 valves

Re: solved

Post by Lectron »

bloke wrote:NORWAY !!!
Lol.
Absolutely right, but done discussing BMB :mrgreen:
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Post by LCTuba89 »

If you're doing brass band repertoire I'd stick with a 4/4 tuba. The pedal register tends to lock in and speak easier and to be honest the room you'll be playing in will really make the low end bloom quite a lot. I've played horns of all 4 common sizes and 4/4's in general have the best balance of tone and control. The 5/4 has a great pedal register but not quite as focused as a 4/4. 6/4 tubas are monsters in every respect, they have the potential for great pedals but if the player is lacking it will become apparent quite immediately. Had a high school kid who normally belts out pedals like it's nothing on his 4/4 try to do the same on my 6/4. Needless to say he gave up pretty quick. I can belt out pedals on my 6/4, but only briefly.

Collin "who knows that the room plays a bigger role than the horn" Thomas
Melton 2155R 5/4 CC Tuba
Conn International Rotary 4/4 BBb Tuba
Lectron
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lectron »

Uh......OK