186 BBb eBay

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
thejester10276
bugler
bugler

186 BBb eBay

Post by thejester10276 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miraphone-186-B ... 1907837418" target="_blank

Dents. I heard it said once that the more dents a tuba has, the greater its character. If that's so, this tuba has tons of character.
The seller must LOVE school horns... :roll:

It might be a good player, but it needs some work. I'd be more worried about the patches than the dents, especially the one on the first valve slide :?:
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: 186 BBb eBay

Post by arpthark »

And that garland removal... yowch.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

arpthark wrote:And that garland removal... yowch.
Made the buzzing stop though, right? :roll:
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Appears to be in Baraboo,WI home of the Circus World Museum and Mid-Continent Railroad Museum. And it looks like it took a beating in the circus or the railroad. :shock:

That's an early serial # - I'm guessing late '50's - early '60's. With that kind of damage/age/use I'd be skeptical of the sellers claims in regards to valves/playability. That thing looks like it was well used/abused in a school environment. The garland removal is a spectacular fail. I bet in person it looks worse than it appears in the photos.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

The leadpipe looks like it has a few dings, but the rest of the valve section and inner bows look to be in pretty good shape. We've certainly seen a lot worse come through eBay. I think the nasty bell is the worst part. Even the outer bows aren't as bashed in as you usually see in a school horn.
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

No burned lacquer where the bell joins the bottom bow ferrule. The 'repairman' must have cut the garland off.

I've found the rotors on most of these older Mirafones to be in pretty good shape except for an occasional broken-off rotor stem. ... testimony to the way these things were built as opposed to the rotors on modern 'off-brand' offerings.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

pop a different bell on it and you're probably ready to toot without too much else unless linkages are BTFO.
somebody will probably hit BIN.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

TheGoyWonder wrote:pop a different bell on it and you're probably ready to toot without too much else unless linkages are BTFO.
somebody will probably hit BIN.
Too late for a 'buy it now'. I'm confident it will go for a stupid high price despite needing a bell.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.