ITEC 2019

performances, conferences, auditions, etc
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: ITEC 2019

Post by bort »

Does the "I" stand for Iowa? :wink:

Iowa City is NOT a very convenient location to fly to. Nearest airport is Cedar Rapids, which is about a 30-minute drive away from campus. Plus, there aren't really all that many flights to Cedar Rapids either. It's awkward enough with luggage, let alone to fly with a tuba.

But, it's a nice campus and people in Iowa are REALLY nice. Congrats to them for winning this event!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Bill Bell was born and died in Iowa. Not good enough?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

58mark wrote:I doubt that was the reason it was selected.
Um... you do know that I wasn't serious in thinking that was the reason, right? :|

I'm sure Knoxville raised some eyebrows too when it was announced, but that sure seemed to go well.
KentEshelman
bugler
bugler

Post by KentEshelman »

considering they are skipping the 2018 ITEC to put the next international event on the 40th anniversary of the first convention, I was expecting the location to be at Indiana or someplace with more historical significance for the tuba. Nothing against Iowa, but it was still a surprise when it was announced.
The idea is to get on track with odd-numbered years so that the 50th anniversary can line up with an ITEC in 2023.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

bort wrote: I'm sure Knoxville raised some eyebrows too when it was announced, but that sure seemed to go well.
ITEC always happens where someone offers to host and makes a compelling case that it is the best of the available [all good] options.
tyrell1111
bugler
bugler

Post by tyrell1111 »

I'm super excited about this. Aside from the in-state annual Bandmaster's conference and the Music Educator's conference there aren't many opportunities like this for me. Midwest is in Chicago, but that is still a 9 hour drive from home. Most of the fun conferences are out of reach for me, but this provides a great opportunity that is well within reach!
B.M.E. - Wartburg College (2018)
4v BBb Martin Mammoth
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

About 300 miles from the Twin Cities (Minneapolis and St. Paul, MN). Well within driving distance. This may be fun.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
MikeMilnarik
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MikeMilnarik »

CONGRATULATIONS and THANK YOU to John Manning for hosting this event!! There's a TON of work involved in running an event like this. Knowing John and having been a part of previous events he's presented - John will pull it off with flying colors!

Looking forward to a stellar ITEC in 2019!!

Mike Milnarik
http://www.milnarik.com

INNOVATA
COSMOPOLITAN TUBA QUARTET
MMI - TUBA EUPHONIUM ACADEMY
TUBASTUDIO.com

Tufts University & Milnarik Music Initiative
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote:Schools are "selected" because the tuba professor and the school are WILLING to host it.
It's getting to be like the Olympics!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

bloke wrote:Schools are "selected" because the tuba professor and the school are WILLING to host it.
The school and professor's willingness certainly is a basic threshold, but for 2019 as in other years there were good options. It's not like there were no worthy alternatives.
BAtlas
bugler
bugler

Post by BAtlas »

I'll have finished my DMA by the time ITEC 2019 rolls around (hopefully :oops: ) and can just speak for how wonderful the new School of Music facilities are at the University. The building is located in a place where parking is easily accessible, and is also close to the heart of downtown right near great shopping, food, bars, etc. all quite literally across the street. There are also multiple elevators, I've never had to wait long 8)

Not to take up too much of the thread, but with plans to stay in Iowa I couldn't be more excited about the conference being held in Iowa City.
Principal Tubist - Des Moines Symphony
Lecturer - Tuba/Euphonium - University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Gronitz PCK, Besson 983
Veloise
lurker
lurker

Post by Veloise »

Was telling my new friend Øystein about the bizarre things I see on FB, including Sousiwanderig and Breda eert Sousa-foon. He said I should look into ITEC.

I see there's a parade...
Are there additional opportunities to play? Jam sessions? Road trip to Mason City?

Help me out here. Thanks!